Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Found leak in fuel line...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914zim
Hi fellas:
I think I may have found out why my car starts, but doesn't stay running (previous post).
I noticed a small spot of gas under my 914 and there was a small amount of gas on the right side drainage hose that drains from the hood. After moving the charcoal canister and a few other things out of the way, I lifted the 2 gas lines out of the clip (right side). As I lifted the right line (pressure line?) away from the clip a small stream of gas squirted out! There is a very small pin hole in the line and it looks like something hot touched the line and melted a small area or something was rubbing on it. The hole is in an area that looks worn.
Could this be why my car will start, but not stay running?
I'm pretty sure this leak is on the pressure side of the circuit. It goes to cylinders 3 and 4 first, then across to 1 and 2.
OK, I know everyone will say I need to replace ALL the fuel lines in my car, but I was wondering if there was a way I could maybe splice in a short piece of line, just to see if this is my problem.
The section where the leak is can be easily reached. Maybe I could place a small clamp over the hole?
What do you all think? Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks guys...
Andy...
tryan
your playing with 30 year old lines. be safe.
splice in a replacement if you want, but moi would err on the side of safety. GOT HALON?
Chris H.
Andy,

Replace them all. Even if that's not the problem, it sounds like they all need to be replaced. Fuel lines are nothing to mess around with. If one is bad (and squirting gas=bad), chances are a lot more are also. If you still have FI in the car the pressure is somehwhere around 28 PSI. If a line in the engine compartment were to pop at that pressure you would have a 914-kabob in about 30 seconds.

Be safe, not sorry.

Chris H.
dryheat914
I agree, The lines will soon fail if not replaced.
The cost of the lines compared to your car burning down is'nt worth it.
Pnambic
May sound lazy....prolly cause it is, but since we're talking about getting new fuel lines, what is the board consensus on best brand/manufacturer of fuel lines and who has the best price on them?
nebreitling
QUOTE(914zim @ Aug 21 2003, 07:04 PM)

OK, I know everyone will say I need to replace ALL the fuel lines in my car, but I was wondering if there was a way I could maybe splice in a short piece of line, just to see if this is my problem.
The section where the leak is can be easily reached. Maybe I could place a small clamp over the hole?

Dude, you're f-ing crazy and you very well may roast your car, everything around your car, and possibly yourself. when 914's burn, they can do so at around 1000 degrees fahrenheit. a fire extinguisher ain't gonna cut it.

that said, if you're feeling lucky, find a small piece of brass tubing w/ a 3mm inner diameter and splice it inside the lines where the leak is -- i.e. a fuel rail. clamp the thing down on both ends (duh). and you might as well light a cigarette while you're at it, because this is a STUPID idea.

good luck, nathan
McMark
Get the cloth braided lines because they're more original and prettier.
IPB Image
Qarl
Two words...

Duct tape....

Two more words...

Just kidding!

Or you will have two MORE words

Hot fire!

and you will need TWO MORE words

Fire extinguisher

Best bet is to listen to all of our sage advice and just....

Replace lines!!!!!!!!
tod914
I use high pressure line with a inner diameter of 7mm.
I picked it up at a VW parts store. Maybe $7.00 a meter? Probally 4 meters will be more than enough.
Better check the plastic lines that come from the center tunnel into the engine bay too. They get real brittle.
The lines under the tank too should be replaced. It is very easy to do. Syphin the tank and its light enough for 1 person to pick up. Good luck and be safe!!
EdwardBlume
Its been said, but I'll say it again... don't mess with leaky fuel lines. You have to fix it if you value safety, and oh, your car.

With your car not staying running, there could be many other reasons. Are you running the stock FI? When was the last time the fuel filter was replaced (most likely when the fuel lines were last done)?

As a home mechanic, you should start with replacing the fuel lines / filter, then move on to troubleshoot the FI system. Or take it to a shop who can evaluate it.

Good luck!
rhodyguy
take 2 days and do every piece of line, period. my thought is, if one spot is leaking, when that one is fixed the fuel will find the next weakest point. throwing a splice at it just gives you 1 more potential leak. how many times do you intend to pull the tank to address this issue?

kevin
Lawrence
Good morning, Andy.

I have to echo the other sentiments.

My *assumption* is that you're talking about the black rubber lines, not the hard plastic ones. Replacing all the rubber fuel lines really isn't difficult or expensive. Work one at a time, and while you're in there use real fuel injector hose clamps - not those crappy generic hose clamps.

From the bird board... 2.0 FI Diagram

-Rusty smoke.gif
914zim
Thanks alot guys for all the replies. beerchug.gif
I am going to get started on replacing
them this weekend. Wish me luck!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.