Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: new radio install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sk8kat1
when I got my new baby there was a newer radio installed but the constant power supply is just a wire wrapped around a terminal on the fuse panel !!!

there must be a batter / safer way to do this .. any ideas . there are not any real sapre spots available on the fuse panel to be used ...

mike
sk8kat1
sorry for the poor spelling tring to type faster than my brain can keep up

blink.gif yawn.gif
MoveQik
Mine is just tapped into the fuse panel. Works perfect. It is the big white wire with the blue connector. Hope that helps...
gary gartner
Check probably at FLAPS and pick up some "spade splitter"--------it slides on to the terminal & gives you a new place for yor wire----
McMark
Michael, I'm guessing that yellow/blue wire is the constant power for your stereo as well. I've always used piggyback spade connectors. Works great. Those are the correct fuses to hook into on the back of the fuse panel. I hate it when people cut and splice wires when it's so easy to add connectors to the fuse panel. pinch.gif
Allan
QUOTE (McMark @ Dec 14 2005, 09:18 AM)
I hate it when people cut and splice wires when it's so easy to add connectors to the fuse panel. pinch.gif

agree.gif When I got my last car the po had the stereo installed at a sound shop and they hacked into the center tunnel wiring. wacko.gif

Spent a couple hours cleaning things up and finished with a nice clean install with everything being fed by the fuse panel...
sk8kat1
sorry wiring is not my strong point -- piggy back spade?
blitZ
I ran across this item and may use it or one similar when I install a new stereo. It provides a seperate switched power source under the dash, so when you turn the ignition off it cuts the power to your add on accessories. You could run an additional wire from the battery to the relay, then to an accessory fuse block. That way you don't have to turn the radio off every time you stop.

Ignition Relay
Allan
QUOTE (sk8kat1 @ Dec 14 2005, 09:45 AM)
sorry wiring is not my strong point -- piggy back spade?

Go to Radio Shack or you favorite electronics supplier and get sone spade connectors for the size of wire you are going to use. They look like this.

MoveQik
QUOTE (McMark @ Dec 14 2005, 09:18 AM)
Michael, I'm guessing that yellow/blue wire is the constant power for your stereo as well. I've always used piggyback spade connectors. Works great. Those are the correct fuses to hook into on the back of the fuse panel. I hate it when people cut and splice wires when it's so easy to add connectors to the fuse panel. pinch.gif

Correctamundo. Hell I even did it myself so it must be easy.
sk8kat1
sounds good -- so If I get that connector and then add to the same spot on my fuse box that is in the pic I s/b good to go?!

if it is that easy ... well I just won't quite know what to do w/ my self

biggrin.gif
Rand
QUOTE (sk8kat1 @ Dec 14 2005, 09:45 AM)
sorry wiring is not my strong point --  piggy back spade?

If you need to connect two wires to the same terminal using spade connectors.... This is what a piggy-back looks like:
user posted image
sk8kat1
oooooo ... I see --that makes sense --- but that is the right postion in the pic to attach to right?!
Allan
QUOTE (sk8kat1 @ Dec 14 2005, 10:21 AM)
oooooo ... I see --that makes sense --- but that is the right postion in the pic to attach to right?!

Yep, those are the right places to tap into. I found extra spade connectors on the back of my fuse panel and didn't need to piggy back anything.
Aaron Cox
what does fuse 3 from the left do?

my car also has nothing on that terminal???

user posted image
Hammy
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 14 2005, 11:24 AM)

It's bridged to #4. I think it's for the low beams. ?
sk8kat1
so does that mean thaif I find any open spade I can hook on that one -- or should it be particular ones ?
McMark
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 14 2005, 10:24 AM)

user posted image

The thick yellow wires are for your low beams. One wire on top, two wires on the bottom.
Allan
QUOTE (sk8kat1 @ Dec 14 2005, 10:31 AM)
so does that mean thaif I find any open spade I can hook on that one -- or should it be particular ones ?

If it is behind the fuse you are going to use and nothing is attached to it, use it...
sk8kat1
excellent! ( in a monte burns voice)

happy11.gif
Jeffs9146
QUOTE (sk8kat1 @ Dec 14 2005, 10:31 AM)

If it is behind the fuse you are going to use and nothing is attached to it, use it...

Not exactly, you want to go to a fuse that is constant hot and not for the computer just in case!!

I went to the battery for my constant hot and added a relay from a switched fuse to run the ign wire to the radio. Make sure you fuse every + lead!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.