Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mahle Restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Russ K
Just curious.. exactly what type of finish did (non-LE) Mahles originally have and what methods have you found to be effective in returning them to their former glory?

i.e. Does silver paint/powder look right? were they just clearcoated? Is the casting hard enough to be media blasted?

RUSS
redshift
Oven cleaner/media blast/primer/Wurth Silver/Wurth Clear.

Over in the bird bath, there is a tech article on doing wheels.

There ya go!

M
seanery
my 76 had perfect mahle's. They looked to be painted or powder coated silver. I don't believe they had a clear coat on them.
Lawrence
Hi Russ,

I wrote the article over there. It's also located *here*. The only thing I would do different today is to add an etching primer before I sprayed Wurth silver.

Also, if the wheels were mine, I wouldn't go without the clear coat over the silver.

If you don't want to do the Limited Edition scheme, just skip the second color. That certainly makes masking easier, too.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Porsche Rescue
Anyone know a good source for the Wurth spray can products? Last time I bought some I went to a Wurth distrubutor in CA and had to buy a greater quantity than I needed.
Qarl
Pelican can get it for you.

I stripped the wheels with oven cleaner, painted with Wurth Silver, and clearcoated. New center caps and bolts...

Here is what you get!
914werke
Lookin Good beerchug.gif
I Glass beaded the one's off the LE until I found a set of Fuchs, They look kinda good with the soft cast finnish but quickly stained from the steel lugs. Silver paint is best . Remember powder coat is HEAVIER blink.gif
Lawrence
Russ,

If you'd like something different for a center cap, and don't want to shell out over a hundred dollars for new fragile caps... try this:

http://www.highway914.net/tech/caps.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.