Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: not starting...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grasshopper
ok, i got the fuel pump problem worked out, and i seem to be getting spark at the spark plugs, but the car still wont start... it doesn't even really seem like it is trying to.... well, i got in to try it again the other day, and started cranking, and green light (generator??) just suddenly went out.... hasn't come back on since... charged the battery to try again, and still nothing, but now the green light never comes on... why isn't my car starting headbang.gif
fiid
Are you getting fuel? Spark plug wiring in the right order?

john rogers
Is it carbs or FI? How do you know you have fuel to the cylinders? I'd say get a can of instant start (ether) and give the intake system a good shot and see if it fires.
markb
Ok, the green light is for oil pressure. Make sure the bulb didn't just burn out. Are you running FI? Double check ALL your grounds. My 1.7 with Djet won't run if even one of them is not making contact. I'm not conversant with Ljet, so I don't think I can be any more help than that.
r_towle
which fi system are u using?

for either one do this first.
Install new plugs, point, condensor,rotor, cap and plug wires...(just do it, you will need to anyways)

Now, static time your motor...that is, set the engine to the timing mark on the fan which is somewhere like 7.5 degrees BTDC...every one is a bit different...look in the hole in the top of the fan housing with a mirror...jack up one side of the rear leaving one tire on the ground...put the car in 5th gear...now you can rotate the engine using the tire that is in the air

Now, rotate the engine slowly, with the distributor cap off, till the rotor is point almost to the #1 notch in the dizzy base...when you get close...you need to hold the mirror over the hole in the fan housing so you can see the v notch in the side of the fan towards the rear of the car...

get the red mark exactly in the v window.

Connect a test lead with a lightbulb in it to the negative side of the coil...rotate the distributor till the light lights up...that is static timed..tighten the dizzy bolt up so it wont rotate...its the long 10mm one on on the side of the dizzy, not the 13mm one that holds it in place...

Verify you have timed it correctly by rotating the engine again 360 degrees to get the light go again.

Now, with djet, turn the key to the on position three or four times...this will get fuel to the injectors.

With ljet, take off the aircleaner cover, remove air filter...
slide you hand in the round part that is going to the throttle body (with the key in the on position) and gently move the flapper till you hear the fuel pump run...its the only noise you will hear.

Run the fuel pump on ljet till you hear the tone change...you will hear bubble coming out into the fuel tank, dont worry...you need to keep going..(it was like 30 seconds for me) till the system has fuel at pressure in the fuel rail...

Then with a fresh battery, turn her over...she will start.

Rich
grasshopper
sorry about the lack of detail. It is a 1.8 with L-jet FI.... i'll TRY to static time it biggrin.gif i already changed points, rotor, cap... etc... double check the spark plug wires, and they are all going to the right spot...... i'll check the grounds to, but it seem like it should at least fire just a little.... unsure.gif
r_towle
it will not fire unless your points are gapped correctly and you need to static time it correctly.

Get the details correct...this is when you need to be patient and do it right...

I was not...it would not start...I finally did everything I said in the previous post (even the rest of us are to lazy some times..)

Be patient, go through all the steps...get it perfect...give it fuel via the flapper thing...it will start right up..

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.