Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7 upgrades?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orange914
id like to upgrade my points 73 1.7 to electronic ignition. what is out there for injected electronic ignition(injection is triggered thru second set of points in stock distributor... right?). ive had a .009 with pertronics, but that was for a carb engine. i would think theres a drop in dist.?

also where are the "911, swivel foot" valve adjustment peices sold. are they screw in or do you have to change more peices? any one selling the set up?

does the stock computor "adapt" to resonable injector, engine breething upgrades or will they create "driveability issues"?

lastly what weight oil does this engine operate best on(origanal well maintained 80,000ish mile wear) driving.gif
Dave_Darling
Upgrading from points to electronic triggering in the stock distributor is pretty trivial. Well worth it, too, IMHO. Mostly because I really hate messing with points.

Upgrading the FI trigger points is non-trivial. Some of our engineering/fab types (Mueller, for one) came up with some electronic magic that lets a non-stock distributor provide trigger point signals. I don't know how it works, but supposedly it does indeed work. That's the only way I know of to replace the stock distributor while keeping the D-jet EFI.

D-jet only copes with better breathing, bigger displacement, etc., to a certain point. Beyond that it gets really ugly really quickly. The breaking point is usually when you change the cam to anything that isn't very very mild. At that point, D-jet sorta gives up, at least at idle.

Tuning the D-jet system is kind of an involved process. You have to tweak settings inside the MPS, then put it back together and run the engine. You also get to tweak the idle mixture with the knob on the ECU (unless your car is a 70 or early 71), plus the fuel pressure. All of the adjustments interact with each other, so changing one thing means you usually need to tweak everything else... You get to spend a lot of quality time with your dyno operator or driving around with your wide-band O2 meter.

It can be done, but only up to a point...

--DD
Mueller
a new improved triggering circuit should be done in the next few weeks, Fiid is working on it to improve my original design, once finished, it will allow one to use an MSD or Mallory distributor....
orange914
QUOTE (Mueller @ Dec 15 2005, 05:37 PM)
a new improved triggering circuit should be done in the next few weeks, Fiid is working on it to improve my original design, once finished, it will allow one to use an MSD or Mallory distributor....

so will this triggering curcuit be an independant sorce from the msd/mallory disyributor? poke.gif
any info on the 911 swivel foot valve adjusters good or bad i heard they really quite down that "thrasher" valve train noise
Mueller
QUOTE (orange914 @ Dec 15 2005, 06:58 PM)

so will this triggering curcuit be an independant sorce from the msd/mallory disyributor? poke.gif
any info on the 911 swivel foot valve adjusters good or bad i heard they really quite down that "thrasher" valve train noise

my 1st prototype used 2 sensors inside my Mallory distributor (optical, but hall would work as well)

new design "should" be triggered via the coil, just like the factory did it on the L-Jet supplied cars.

I've never heard anything bad about the 911 swivel feet except to stay away from the cheap knock offs sold by some aftermarket places....I "thought" I read some Ford 4 cylinder parts work with good results...anyone confirm this??
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Mueller @ Dec 15 2005, 07:08 PM)
QUOTE (orange914 @ Dec 15 2005, 06:58 PM)

my 1st prototype used 2 sensors inside my Mallory distributor (optical, but hall would work as well)

new design "should" be triggered via the coil, just like the factory did it on the L-Jet supplied cars.

I've never heard anything bad about the 911 swivel feet except to stay away from the cheap knock offs sold by some aftermarket places....I "thought" I read some Ford 4 cylinder parts work with good results...anyone confirm this??

swivels bolt in to 1.7 rockers but not .8 or 2.0

8mm thread iirc...

rocker faces need to be decked 0.060....

ford courrier "bearing" adjusters can also be used...

here are the ones going onto my motor.....
user posted image

OEM swivels are 9 bucks each..
DJsRepS
I bet the motor sounds a little different with those rockers.
Bleyseng
It all depends on the valve lash. Once hot, the lash should be fairly tight and quiet even the stock setup. Trashed adjusters will sound loud even adjusted right as the faces will not be the proper shape anymore. The Porsche swivel feet really help when using SS valves since you then have no worries of mushrooming the valve stems.

Use the steel spacers from a Hydro Bus/vanagon rocker arm setup or FAT sells them as the springs are worthless. I have seen some aluminum ones sold too but I am not sure if they work right. They might expand too much when hot binding the rockers.

If you want some easy HP just go to the 96mm pistons setup for 66mm stroke and have the heads worked over adding 42x36mm valves. Keep the compresion to 8to1if using the stock cam so you dont overheat.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.