Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Phone Dials
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I'm considering a set of phone dials for my car but really don't know anything about them other than they will fit. Are they aluminum or steel? Can they be polished or do they need to be chromed? Anybody got pics of either polished or chrome ones on a 914?
McMark
Not steel. I'm assuming aluminum, not magnesium.

Oh and wub.gif
Brando
Phonedials are aluminum. They look best painted black. Be careful as some have late-offset backspacing.

They came in (I think) these flavors:
15x6 (early wheel size)
15x7 (early and late wheel size)
15x8 (late, 944 turbo, S, S2)
McMark
The late ones have the same issue as any later Porsche wheel. You have to use a big spacer. Someday I'll have 16x7 and 16x8s on my car.
seanery
944 turbos used 16s (7s and 8s)

yes, they are aluminum.
Mueller
they weigh about 1 pound than Fuchs in the same size....not bad at all !!!

i'd stay away from chrome, otherwise you might be in same boat as Gwen (her chrome is flaking off on her Fuchs), also, the chrome supposed to add another 2 pounds to the weight
Aaron Cox
pressure cast wheels...

mattr has 15x7 under stock fenders.....

i have a wheel offset chart in my blog....halfway down....

get the early offset (et 23 or 36 idea.gif ) not the ET 52
markb
I bought a set of 15x7's for my car that I'm not going to use. Unfortunately they're late offset. PM me & I'll make you a good deal.
Allan
These are early offset 15 x 6 and currently powder coated. They would probably look really good polished...
Allan
QUOTE (Mueller @ Dec 15 2005, 05:20 PM)
they weigh about 1 pound than Fuchs in the same size....not bad at all !!!

Mike, is that more or less? biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Headrage @ Dec 15 2005, 06:33 PM)
These are early offset 15 x 6 and currently powder coated. They would probably look really good polished...

all black looks bitchin!!! dont touch em!!!!!!

hwgunner's wheels?
markb
A friend of mine in town here has a set of black powdercoated ones. They look really nice.
tat2dphreak
phone dials are the sexiest Porsche Rims other than the new-ish 911/ boxter Rims, and look bad ass on a teener! smilie_pokal.gif
iamchappy
I have the 951 16x7s and 8s on my car but am replacing them with the 951 fuchs.
The phone dials look better on 914s than on any of the other Porsches.
MattR
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 15 2005, 05:24 PM)
mattr has 15x7 under stock fenders.....

eh, not exactly. I need to pull my fenders a little and get 195 tires to fit with the proper camber (I hope). 15x6s should be a gooder bet.
Allan
I'm going with 205/50 tires if I do it...
MattR
QUOTE (Headrage @ Dec 15 2005, 07:12 PM)
I'm going with 205/50 tires if I do it...

On the current paint job? Or are you going to respray it?
Allan
QUOTE (MattR @ Dec 15 2005, 07:16 PM)
On the current paint job? Or are you going to respray it?

bootyshake.gif It's getting a re-spray. Same stone grey but nice and smooth with 3 coats of clear. It's gonna look like if you touch it your fingers should be wet...
MattR
QUOTE (Headrage @ Dec 15 2005, 07:37 PM)
QUOTE (MattR @ Dec 15 2005, 07:16 PM)
On the current paint job?  Or are you going to respray it?

bootyshake.gif It's getting a re-spray. Same stone grey but nice and smooth with 3 coats of clear. It's gonna look like if you touch it your fingers should be wet...

Cool. Then yeah, roll the fender lips (if it hasnt already been done). I was worried about paint cracking with the baseball bat method. 15x7s should fit fine with 205s if you dont care about paint, but get everything to fit with the proper camber before you go to the spray booth.
airsix
16x7 and 16x8. '87 and later require spacers. Pre-'87 should fit without spacers (I think).
-Ben M.
user posted image
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (airsix @ Dec 15 2005, 09:34 PM)
16x7 and 16x8. '87 and later require spacers. Pre-'87 should fit without spacers (I think).
-Ben M.
user posted image

pre 87 are 15" AND early offset
jonwatts
Interesting question on polishing. I don't think I've ever seen polished phone dials.

Anyone?

How about smoke or chrome powdercoat?

johnmhudson111
QUOTE (seanery @ Dec 15 2005, 08:02 PM)
944 turbos used 16s (7s and 8s)

yes, they are aluminum.

You want the ones off a '86 944 turbo. They are forged and have the early or non-abs offset.
McMark
I've seen fully polished phone dials. I think that completely loses the aesthetic design features of the wheel in a sea of reflectivity. This ain't a good picture, but it's the only one I got. Fully polished.
jonwatts
You're right, not a good picture laugh.gif but I see what you're saying a little bit.
ChicagoChris
Anybody have pictures of a non-flared car with phonedials?

Chris
Mueller
QUOTE (ChicagoChris @ Dec 16 2005, 07:39 AM)
Anybody have pictures of a non-flared car with phonedials?

Chris

15x7 on Duanes car
user posted image

16x7 with 205/50s on my old 914
user posted image
airsix
QUOTE (jonwatts @ Dec 15 2005, 08:42 PM)
Interesting question on polishing. I don't think I've ever seen polished phone dials.

Anyone?

How about smoke or chrome powdercoat?

I saw a polished set go for $500 with center caps a few years ago. Phonedials are a real cheap way to finish a 5-lug conversion and end up with good looking 16" wheels. I paid $500 for mine with centercaps, lug nuts, and 30% tread tires.
-Ben M.
Andyrew
I got 3 for 30 bucks...
biggrin.gif

Now.. if I can find a third... I'd have rims to mount more slicks on!!!

Mike D.
These are chrome, they are dirty and the chome is flaking in a few spots, but that is because the were left outside for 3 years...
Mike D.
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Dec 16 2005, 10:12 AM)
I got 3 for 30 bucks...
biggrin.gif

Now.. if I can find a third... I'd have rims to mount more slicks on!!!

If you found a third then you have 2 thirds and still not a full set...he he he huh.gif

biggrin.gif laugh.gif cool.gif
Andyrew
True... true..

It was finals week.. Gime a break biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
hooked on addition worked for me....
sixnotfour
I have 2 16x8's 1 good 1 needs the lip repaired
McMark
Andyrew, I've got one 7x15 with 23.3 offset.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.