Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine mount alignment seems hosed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
adammtb
So I cut the engine mount bracket off to repair my hell hole and it's time to put it back on. I did some repair to the long behind where the mount goes and on the underside of the long where it spot welds in. I think I did a decent job of keeping those areas to thier original geometry.

I tacked the mount in and took some measurements to make sure it's in the right spot. . . I measured both the left and right to some places on the suspension and original frame. I also whipped out the level. The hell hole mount is correct in every axis of translation and rotation except it's a half inch higher off the ground than the left mount blink.gif The top tip of the mount is also higher than the long than the drivers side is huh.gif

But in order to adjust the height (and keep the flange against the long) I'd be screwing up some other measurement.

When removing the bracket I drilled the spot welds out and they basically line up with what is left on the long. It's a little off but not so much to get me .5 inches in height, maybe 1/8"

So the question is, what should I do? Is the mount on the right side supposed to be .5" higher? Should I suck it up and plan on the rubber in the engine and tranny mounts to absorb the flex? (that sounds super sketchy). Should I make a spacer to lower the engine mount with relation to the bracket?

I would just move the bracket down, except then the old flange won't match up to the long. I was thinking I'd move it down, and bend the flange up to the long and just corner weld it. As opposed to spot welding it flat against the long welder.gif
MecGen
You Know...

I think pics are in order here...

At least it good for a bump, and maybe someone can take some measurements, mines in storage.

But this is good for a

icon_bump.gif
adammtb
So...we don't have a camera, and what is the "bump" thing. I've been seeing it for a while. What does it mean?
sj914
QUOTE (adammtb @ Dec 15 2005, 06:54 PM)
So...we don't have a camera, and what is the "bump" thing. I've been seeing it for a while. What does it mean?

Bumping keeps this post at least at page 1.
sj914
If it's a .5" higher, could the repair you did have moved something to move the original mounting position?
Upon removing the engine mount could you have tweaked the engine mount in some way?

Without pictures of your repair or the removed engine mount it's hard to tell.
r_towle
With a lack of pics....

Please take measurements of the engine mount from the following places...Do it on both sides...

From the firewall to the mount...pic a place that you can easily describe. Measure both top and bottom of the mount...

Then, measure from something like the underside of the engine lid valance...the part that is next to the engine lid...

These are two places I can measure from that are on the car..dont measure from the floor...it wont be the same...

Also, look at the top of the page..there are some measure ments in the 914 info section at the way top...

If you post those measurements, I can take those for you.

What year is it..not sure that makes a difference, but it might...I have 72, 74, 73 so those should have an average that is the same...

Rich
adammtb
So I was able to track down a camera to borrow from a friend. I'll post some pickies tomorrow.
adammtb
QUOTE (r_towle @ Dec 15 2005, 07:37 PM)
With a lack of pics....

Please take measurements of the engine mount from the following places...Do it on both sides...

From the firewall to the mount...pic a place that you can easily describe. Measure both top and bottom of the mount...

Then, measure from something like the underside of the engine lid valance...the part that is next to the engine lid...

These are two places I can measure from that are on the car..dont measure from the floor...it wont be the same...

Also, look at the top of the page..there are some measure ments in the 914 info section at the way top...

If you post those measurements, I can take those for you.

What year is it..not sure that makes a difference, but it might...I have 72, 74, 73 so those should have an average that is the same...

Rich

Ok, I meased From the top of the engine lid valance, (the painted portion in front of the grill portion) down to the top of the horizontal part of the bracket - the horizontal section which is sandwiched by the top and bottom parts of the engine mount.

It is 25 and 7/16" or 646mm - on both sides.

I got the level out again, the engine lid valances are level, so are the mounts and the frame rails. So are the suspension points.

Honestly, everything looks ok now . . . I don't know what happened. Maybe the first time through I read the tape wrong, but I checked twice like santa. Who knows.

Thanks for the quick replies but I think this was a false alarm. Oh, I have a '72
r_towle
spank.gif cool_shades.gif beer3.gif smoke.gif smoke.gif smoke.gif smoke.gif smoke.gif
sj914
QUOTE (adammtb @ Dec 15 2005, 08:13 PM)

Rich [/QUOTE]
Ok, I meased From the top of the engine lid valance, (the painted portion in front of the grill portion) down to the top of the horizontal part of the bracket - the horizontal section which is sandwiched by the top and bottom parts of the engine mount.

It is 25 and 7/16" or 646mm - on both sides.

I got the level out again, the engine lid valances are level, so are the mounts and the frame rails. So are the suspension points.

Honestly, everything looks ok now . . . I don't know what happened. Maybe the first time through I read the tape wrong, but I checked twice like santa. Who knows.

Thanks for the quick replies but I think this was a false alarm. Oh, I have a '72

Stuff happens. Good thing you re-checked. It's always good to check and re-check things a couple dozen times before you start welding. Checking a whole bunch of times is easier than having to cut up your work all over again.

Remember Santa has his elves do all the work, that's why he's fat. biggrin.gif
adammtb
Here are some pics if you're interested. We primed a little before taking the mount off to prime behind it. So the contrast makes the shape of the long look strange.

The long was pretty bad on the side and top, the bottom wasn't too bad. The engine mount needed repair and we got a new battery tray and engine shelf. The inner wheel house was also replaced. You can see we're also replacing the inner and outer firewalls and rear section of the floorpan.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

MecGen
Hey

Swweet car, nice work ! smilie_pokal.gif

Tired yet ?

Later

beer.gif

adammtb
OK so I got it back on.
user posted image

And here's one of including the engine shelf and battery tray. We were able to recycle the tray support, that's why it's still red.
user posted image

And finally, a repaired hell hole biggrin.gif
user posted image
ChrisFoley
Looks good! clap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.