Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Track day at Laguna Seca Today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
I finally got a chance to take "Fritz" out to the track. Last time I was on a big track was Buttonwillow on July 4th weekend 2004. Blew up the 914-6 2.7 motor that weekend with a missed shift. It's been a long haul.

Weather today was beautiful. Cool in the morning and Sunny all day long. Dan Thompson and I thrashed Fritz pretty good today. Let me say that a 993 motor in a GT class 914 or 911 just ROCKS! aktion035.gif SirAndy, you are going to love the 3.6 engine when you stuff it in. Power everywhere, pulls like a freight train up hill and just is a wonderful motor.

The tail dragger was dialed in suspension wise and once we got the tire pressures on the slicks figured out the car just was awesome. Dan really turned some blistering laps during the afternoon.

All I can say is that if you are lucky enough to get a 3.6, you won't regret it. That 993 engine platform is unbelievable in a lightweight early 914 or 911.

Here's a few pics from the day....

Bill P.

John Seidel's 914.......
nine14cats
I can't remember who's car this is, but I think he's a local guy to San Francisco Bay Area....

nine14cats
This guy was FAST!

The car was wonderful to watch from the track...car was well balanced and he was carving up the run group...

nine14cats
Here's another air-cooled car...looks like it belongs in the baja desert... laugh.gif
nine14cats
my car "Fritz"... wub.gif
SirAndy
oh what a tease! biggrin.gif

glad you had fun out there!
i'm going to enjoy passing you at the track next season ... ( poke.gif )

smilie_pokal.gif Andy

PS: got any in-car video ??? idea.gif
drew365
Mighty big wing there partner!
Did you have any problems with sound. I don't see any strange exhaust pipes on any of the cars.
nine14cats
I was full throttle right next to the sound booth all day!.... beer.gif

For Laguna I have a stock banana muffler with single outlet and a O2 bung on some stub pipes. It passes the sound limit easily. It's also somewhat restrictive for HP. I get to use my phase 9's at Thunderhill this Sunday. Doris and I will be there with a local track club. 2 run groups ( 30 minutes on, 30 minutes off, ALL DAY).... happy11.gif

Here's my exhaust setup for 100+ db...

Bill P.

nine14cats
Yep...I've got video of 2 different run sessions...I'l have to download them and do a little editing.

Bill P.
DanT
The Blue 914-4 race car belongs to Albert and Lana Correia. Nice couple.
I instructed Lana today in the car. She did great for only driving the car one time before this at an AX.
This car has been in Norcal and GGR/LPR for many years just as it looks today.
Used to belong to Mike Lomatch and won many AXs in norcal PCA.

The orange/blue car looked like it had a very nice 3.2L conversion. And yes he was very quick.

Bills car is as fast as it looks...I am sure we turned some 1:48s or better in the PM when it got a little warmer. We were keeping pace with a well set up Z06 and he had a real tough time pulling me on the main straight, I was able to get some lap traffic between him and I and leave him in the dust. What a blast.
Bill thanks again for letting me help you break in your new toy. It was fantastic. smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Trekkor
Glad to hear all went well and you had a good time...

See you on Sunday

KT
nine14cats
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the help today! It made a difference on my lines in the afternoon. I'm going to hazard to guess that you had to be turning sub .48's since I hooked up my Hot Lap Timer on the drivers side for my last session and I turned a 1:49.2 and change...you were going a "tad" faster than me when you were driving against that Z06. happy11.gif

How come you're always faster than me the first time you drive my cars? laugh.gif

It was a fun day. Can't wait for Sunday.

Bill P.
nine14cats
Hi Trekkor,

It sure will be fun on Sunday. Doris and I will be splitting seat duty. It will be great to run with you.

See you there!

Bill P.
DanT
Well, one thing is for sure. there weren't any other instructor cars passing us in the afternoon. Warm race tires are a wonderful thing!
If that is the case with your times in the PM then maybe we were in the 47 category.
I would venture Fritz to be a 1:42 car at Laguna once everything is dialed in and you are comfortable with the rear weight bias.
The cold brakes are a bit of a concern. I would check the type of pads front and rear and talk to Rich. He has some excellent insights.
Overall, a very impressive first time out. And the 993 motor is terrific
driving.gif driving.gif
I hope Doris enjoys the new car. It is going to be a bit of an adjustment for her, since she was just getting used to the 914. Dan to Doris "more gas".
Is there going to be instruction available at the Th event?
Have fun, be safe. Hope the weather holds.
jonwatts
Isn't it racing fact that being in someone else's car is worth an easy few seconds on any track? driving.gif
Trekkor
Bill, I keep hearing "3.6" in my head unsure.gif

I bet your car sounds amazing rolleyes.gif

I'm going to tech my car tomorrow and get things all ready to go.

So excited...How long has it been since you've been to Thill?

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.