Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Towing Co will lien sale my old bike
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eeyore
I have a lien sale notice from a Los Angeles towing company on a bike I sold 2 years ago.

Back then, I did have issues with the buyer putting bad info on the pinkslip/transfer, but I sent the DMV the correct info, and they haven't hassled me about paying reg fees since then.

Any suggestions about what should I do to cover my financial butt besides telling the towing company "GO AHEAD!"?
GWN7
ask what the charges are....worth what the bike is worth? wink.gif
brer
They'll surely add 2 years of storage fees on the bill.
drew365
Those lien sales are bogus. They're just the legal way for the impound company to take the vehicle for nothing. If you show up, no one will know what you are talking about. If you press the issue they'll tell you the sale has been postponed and will send you a new notice, which will never get to you. I went through this trying to reclaim a truck that had been stolen.
Cap'n Krusty
You can bid on it. The fees are no longer in the deal. As for bogus, they've told the DMV the datye and time, and could get slammed like you wouldn't believe if they don't offer the vehicle up for auction on the published date and time. The magic phrase is "I think I'll call the DMV about this". You might just get to participate in a 1 man auction. I recently got 2 nice running and pretty good looking Jettas that way, for waaaaaay less than I'd planned to spend. The Cap'n
drew365
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 16 2005, 09:17 AM)
You can bid on it. The fees are no longer in the deal. As for bogus, they've told the DMV the datye and time, and could get slammed like you wouldn't believe if they don't offer the vehicle up for auction on the published date and time. The magic phrase is "I think I'll call the DMV about this". You might just get to participate in a 1 man auction. I recently got 2 nice running and pretty good looking Jettas that way, for waaaaaay less than I'd planned to spend. The Cap'n

In my case, I showed up expecting it to be an auction of multiple vehicles and bidders. No one else was there, the workers didn't know what I was talking about. They got the boss on the phone and he danced, then said it was postponed. I'm sure most vehicles are turned over to the impound company like this. Of course, I could just be old and cynical, but I don't think so. dry.gif
SLITS
Part of the Lien Sale Process is a requirement to notify all previous owners of record. You have to go to the DMV and pay to have this done. You then have to mail, afaIr, these people a certified letter of intent to hold the lien sale. If one objects, he has the right to pay the "fees..towing /storage" (modern hi-way robbery) and reacquire the vehicle. You can also petition to stop the lien sale by filling out the paperwork that was sent to you and forwarding it to the DMV within 10 days of the date the notice was mailed.

If you do nothing, the "lien sale" is "held" at time and date specified (31+ days after the initial paper work is filed with the DMV). You are supposed to advertise the sale in the local paper and place signs on the property where it is held.

And if you are the "owner of record" according to the DMV, you can be held liable for removal / disposition costs and the remainder of the lien not satisfied by the "sale".

Fun huh.............................
eeyore
Thanks Ron. That makes sense.

I was notified because I appear in the chain of custody. It appears the dealership I originally purchased the bike from is listed as well.

So, just to be extra careful, I need to go to the DMV and make sure I'm not the owner of record?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.