Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Making a tricky bit of metalshaping simple
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
John Kelly
I've been working on a method for making mild reverse shapes that is a little easier than stretching the edge of a panel. A reverse is where instead of a crown or bulge in the body, you have a concave area. An example of this would be the cowl area on some early cars....or where a fender flare blends in with the body on a later car. In this case, you would have a normal outward curve up and down and a reverse curve front to back. Usually you stretch the edge of the panel that you want the reverse shape in to make it grow and create a valley just inboard of the edge. You stretch a lot on the edge and less as you blend the reverse into the panel. This can be very tricky, and your panel can get away from you.

Using a crowned shrinking disc, I made about 12 passes in a sample piece. The sample was rolled over my leg first to make a curve similar to what I would do for a fender flare where it meets the door gap. Instead of stretching the edge, I shrunk the valley. The panel is a little easier to control this way.

I've attached three pictures. The first one is an example of a typical reverse. The reverse is where my hand is pressing on the flow strip. The fender flare was stretched making a valley (reverse) in the transition area between the flare and body.

The second and third pictures are of the test panel I shrunk a reverse in. I will be playing with this method some more to see how far I can take it. I think a combination of shrinking the valley and a mild stretching of the edge will come in handy at some point.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
John Kelly
John Kelly
rick 918-S
Nice work John. Your a talented guy. Have you heard of Casimir Nawrocki? He's a friend of mine. Every time I visit him he's working some magic with metal.

Did you anneal that sheet first? Looks like it's slightly blued.
John Kelly
Hi Rick,

Cass Nawrocki! Yes I've heard of him. A very innovative metalshaper from what I understand.

Steel does not require annealing to shape it, but some folks think the shrinking disc does anneal. I don't know if this is true or not. I do know that you can work the metal for a long time without failure.

Thanks for the kind words, John www.ghiaspecialties.com
John Kelly
A little more progress...this is the most intuitive metalshaping concept I have ever come up with. Dead simple. Feel a high spot, shrink it down. It does not get any easier.

McMark
Doesn't the shrinking disk get harder and harder to use as you get more reverse? Or I guess you're probably shrinking on the "back" side.
John Kelly
Hi Mark,

I'm not using one of my flat shrinking discs. This is a crowned disc that I just started making which easliy reaches into a valley. If you were making a super reverse (think potato chip), shrinking from the other side would be a consideration at some point. I wish I had tried this when doing the reverses on Felix's flares...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.