Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door Bracing question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Could someone explain to me the measurements that are required when you put a brace in to weld up and fix the longs (winter project)

I looked in the 914 info...I cant really make out the measurements I was thinking were needed...

I dont know where to measure from/to.

Also, could some of you guys post pics of the door bracing brackets you have used...I need to make something...just need a direction to head...

Thanx very much.

Rich
Jeroen
I just used a piece of 2.5" square tubing
On the rear, I used the stock striker plate (without the rubber) and at the front I made a 3mm plate that bolted to the top door hinge
Cut the tubing to size to snugly fit between the two and welded it in

I measured the space between the top of the targa hoop and the windshield frame to make sure the gap was ok before I made the brace

rear, using stock striker plate
user posted image

front, top door hinge
user posted image

sorry, can't find a good total width shot...
user posted image

before you weld the bar to the plates make sure you can access the screws/bolts to remove the bar
r_towle
awesome,

I still need more data..

First problem is that when I jack using the normal jack post, passenger side (surprised) the door gap on the bottom of the door closes up...

It is to the point that the gap at the bottom of the door is close to rubbing...

So, I have no good baseline to deal with...I need to open up the bottom a little bit...

Then where is this measurement at the targa top measured from and to...

Rich
ClayPerrine
Look here. Go to page 129.

cool_shades.gif
r_towle
that was a great offer....but it was killing my connection...

Could you post just that page?

It slowed down to 1kb per minute it seemed...

Rich
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (r_towle @ Dec 16 2005, 10:56 AM)
that was a great offer....but it was killing my connection...

Could you post just that page?

It slowed down to 1kb per minute it seemed...

Rich

It's not your connection. I don't have a T1 line at my house, and it's a huge PDF file.

Plus all of the lurkers out there hitting it at the same time.

I can't post the pict, I am not there. sad.gif
r_towle
reminded me of the old days....when i was just a wee lad, we had these little cards called modems...and we used to use them to call other computers....

yup...

Thanx, the detailed pics made the difference...
It says f is to the windshield flange....then the pic shows that it really is to the back side of that flange...

I saved it, thanx for that...

Rich
brant
Also do not have a picture with me.
but when we did our bolt in door brace bar, we made it to bolt into the 3 factory nuts for the door hinge. We also welded a nut onto the bar and put a threaded rod into the bar. Was easy to change the overall length by turning the thread longer or shorter. Allowed us to bolt it all in and then fine tune the gap by minute amounts and avoid shrinkage that I was worried about from welding.

our bar is completely bolt in... but more time to make up.

brant
Jeroen
go here and click the numbers...
http://www.914world.com/specs/bodydims.php

wertygrog
helpful webpage. I will be doing this as well this winter.

brent
SirAndy
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Dec 16 2005, 11:11 AM)

we should probably put some info on that page (in BIG red letters) that tells people that they can click on the numbers and get a closeup picture of the area ...

wink.gif Andy
Jeroen
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Dec 17 2005, 12:27 AM)
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Dec 16 2005, 11:11 AM)

we should probably put some info on that page (in BIG red letters) that tells people that they can click on the numbers and get a closeup picture of the area ...

Yeah... I guess so... thought it was obvious dry.gif
Jeroen
Ha! I just had a look and it says so right on the page...
Ya dumb f#@%s should learn to read av-943.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Dec 16 2005, 05:26 PM)
Ha! I just had a look and it says so right on the page...
Ya dumb f#@%s should learn to read av-943.gif

yeah, but it's not in BIG RED LETTERS!!!!

rolleyes.gif Andy
Powerman
I made an A-Frame from gas pipe using a tubing notcher. The front bolts to the door hinge mounts, the rear to the striker plate. The strike plate end has a treaded rod and jam nuts. I measured the door gap I wanted using big ratchet straps to adjust the body together. Install, and crank in the measurements.
ChrisFoley
Rich, just remember 25 1/8" from the rear edge of the winshield frame to the front edge of the targa. Metal to metal at the corners.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.