Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NorCal Dyno Day
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
This is a revived thread.

We need to pick a day and then take signups.

As per my most recent post, I'm thinking June 24 or 25.

I will be updating this first post with the pertinent details as they are decided.

---Original Message Below---

How many people are interested in a Dyno Day?!

I've just talked with the dyno operator that Mike Mueller and I used to tune our cars. He's got a great dyno setup and knows what he's doing. We can get a full Saturday and his price per car is $55. It's a little more expensive than I would like to see, but it would be fun to go out and see how much HP we're all pushing.

Yes, his dyno does read that low. av-943.gif Is there any interest? The minimum number of cars we need is 8 and the max is 15.

Tell me exactly what you think.
TimT
$55 is a good price for set up and a dyno pull.

I know 914 guys are CSOBs though.
McMark
It's only a tad more than what people are paying for an AX. If I were an active autocrosser, I would want to know this information just to help with bench racing. biggrin.gif
fiid
I'm interested. I want enough time to twiddle with my FI though - and preferably some expertise on getting the spark map and knock settings correct.

I probably need access to a big fan too - to keep the airflow going over the radiator.

TimT
for clarity we charge $80 for a pull.

and one pull isnt just one run up through the gears, we will get the car set up on the dyno, and do a baseline pull, check the car over andmake sure everything is ok. Then do one or two more pulls, and see if we have consistent numbers. We allow the customer to do some fiddling with the car if it isnt really time consuming, then do another pull..

So you get 3-5 pulls for the one set up. One pull is pretty much useless.
McMark
This would not be a tuning day. It would basically be a HP rating day. Just shoot the shit and compare numbers. Fiid, you need a lot more than a $55 session to really make some changes. sad.gif You could do one pull, make some changes off the dyno and then get back on, but he'll probably charge $55 to load it up again. This would be a rapid fire type setup. Load a car on the machine, do the pulls, take it off and load on the next one.

I was thinking sometime in Feb or March. Rain will probably be a factor for most people.
Demick
Mark

I've been waiting for a dyno day around here. I'd be in (assuming it falls on a day when I can make it). Where's the shop? Antioch?

Demick
fiid
QUOTE (McMark @ Dec 16 2005, 02:16 PM)
This would not be a tuning day. It would basically be a HP rating day. Just shoot the shit and compare numbers. Fiid, you need a lot more than a $55 session to really make some changes. sad.gif

Yeah - I figured that I would need like 2 or 3 timeslots to get any value out of it at all.

I could go in for a day with 3-5 cars for a couple hundred each if anyone wanted to do that.
lapuwali
I may be interested. Feb/March means I should at least have a running 914, assuming I haven't been silly and decided to rip the carbs off by then to fit the Megasquirt. Unless, of course, by some miracle, I actually have a running MS'd 914 by then...ha!

Maybe I could bring the 912 and we can see what a REAL air-cooled four will do...

Better yet, bring the Squareback...

Or the scooter. Think it will show single-digit power peaks?
McMark
It's in Concord. Sounds like there's some interest. I'd be in of course. laugh.gif
914_1.8t
I'm in....when are you guys planning on having the dyno day?
Trevorg7
I would be interested too. But like fiid - I would be interested in more tuning as I want to convert from carbs to FI.

Never the less depending on the day I would like to join.

Trevor
McMark
Anyone is welcome to occupy more than one slot, as long as everyone who wants to play gets a turn. wink.gif The exact date is up in the air. I figure weather is going to be a big factor.
Andyrew
When?

jgara962
Count me in.
jimtab
Assuming they can read miniscule hp readings I'd like to know...if it isn't pissing rain, I'm in....my garage queen can't deal with the wet stuff now..... biggrin.gif
JeffBowlsby
I might be interested in this Mark, depending on where and when. My stock 2.0L D-Jet could serve as a benchmark.
9146R
Count me in...Concord is close rain or shine it's a short hop. I like the cost and getting some idea of my hp.

Thanks,
greg
Demick
Bump for McMark

toon1
I'm interested. I have a bone stock 1.7 that is a daily driver. Would I be able to do some fine tuning on the dyno for everyday street use?
nocones
Assuming my car is back together I'd be up for it.
McMark
It's still raining. dry.gif Maybe late April?
McMark
It's time to start looking into this. What are some good days? I'm thinking June 24 or 25. What days work for ya'll?
fiid
Can someone shoot me the guy's info. I'm pretty close to wanting a day of actual time to start dialling in my FI properly. Anyone else want to split a day?

Thanks,

Fiid.
McMark
http://www.brgracing.com/

He does it hourly. I think Mike signed up for two hours. No full day discounts. It's $125 an hour.

Let me know if you sign up. I'd like to hang out. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.