Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Confirmation of the obvious.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
911 aluminum closed end lug nuts are not to be used on steel wheels. Correct?
SLITS
Aluminum are not on the ones I have possession of...but then I don't know crap!
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (McMark @ Dec 16 2005, 08:05 PM)
911 aluminum closed end lug nuts are not to be used on steel wheels. Correct?

no reason they can't be, assuming you don't have excessive stud protrusion.
just no one ever does, because it's silly to spend $100 to save 20 grams on wheels that are 4X as heavy as the Fuchs...

the contact profiles are the same on all the (factory) wheels and nuts. (ball end)

there's no more corrosion potential between the anodised nut and the steel wheel than the steel stud. use them with anti sieze whenever they're used.
TimT
the radii of the part of steel and aluminum lug-nuts that bears on the wheel are the same. Try it, if you can run a closed alum lug nut down and bring it to torque youll be fine. Im not sure if the "grip" or thickness of an lum wheel vs a steel wheel is differnent

However track car aluminum lug nuts=bad
McMark
I'm putting roller wheels on a car with five-lug and deciding whether to use aluminum lug nuts on steel wheels, or use steel lugs with the wrong bottom radius. They are crap roller wheels, BTW. Doesn't seem worth the risk of damaging the ALU lug nuts. But if there's no issue... idea.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE (McMark @ Dec 16 2005, 04:45 PM)
Doesn't seem worth the risk of damaging the ALU lug nuts.

agree.gif The steel wheels may gouge the aluminum nut at the contact point. I wouldn't use them. But then What do I know.. screwy.gif laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.