Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help! How to transport 2nd set wheels/tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joseph Mills
I'm stumped.......I need to transport, utilizing my 914, a 2nd set of wheels/slicks to my local race track (Hallett - about 100 miles away).

Knowing how ingenious and resourceful (cheap), some 914 owners are wink.gif ,
I was hoping you might have some suggestions, or share how you resolved this problem.

A 2nd vehicle is not an option.

Roof rack? confused24.gif
ArtechnikA
1 (2 maybe, especially with no spare) in front trunk, 1 (2 maybe) in back trunk. 2 in passenger seat, 1 in passenger footwell. roofrack's been done, it works, rear decklid oughtta work - two stacks of two. little tow-behind trailer, very popular with the Miata people. FedEx.
airsix
Roof rack or small trailer. Small enclosed trailers are getting to be a common sight around here among the 914 and MR2 crowd. Most look to be about 4 feet square. Most guys buy the trailer frame kit and then build their own box on it. Harbor freight sells a small utility trailer that looks just about right (if you build a box for it). Nice for bringing tires, jack, tools, air tank, etc.
-Ben M.
ChrisReale
I put one in the front, one in the rear and remove the passenger seat and put two there, along with a cooler. Jack and tools fit in the rear also.
airsix
ps - the roof-rack idea makes me nervous. I was just thinking about the weak little hooks holding the roof on, and the forces that 120 pounds of wheels/tires would exhert in an abrupt manuever...
seanery
3 in passenger compartment 1 in front trunk for me!
Demick
Racks or small trailers work. But you can do it without those. One in the front trunk (in place of the spare). One in the rear trunk. And two in the passenger seat (I put them standing up leaning against the passenger door, not laying down - and wrapped up in a sheet of course).

I've tried to fit 2 in the front or rear trunks, but they wouldn't fit (205/50-15's).

Demick
fiid
I've seen these little units ( basically a bar with a could of bends into) that plug in where a towhook would go (box section port you see on trucks) that allows you to transport 4 wheels. Has anyone gotten one of these to fit on a 914??

Fiid.
campbellcj
I've done this successfully too. 1 in each trunk (front one in place of regular spare). Two in passenger seat/footwell area, ideally secured as best as possible with bungee cords or something.

I must say I am DAMN glad now to have the tow vehicle + trailer. It's the only way to fly. Now I don't I have to be "choosey" about what I schlep to the track, and I can cruise in comfort with a/c (or heat+bunwarmers), tunes, and so forth. Not to mention that I can fit at least 1-2 passengers if I want to.
campbellcj
I've done this successfully too. 1 in each trunk (front one in place of regular spare). Two in passenger seat/footwell area, ideally secured as best as possible with bungee cords or something.

I must say I am DAMN glad now to have the tow vehicle + trailer. It's the only way to fly. Now I don't I have to be "choosey" about what I schlep to the track, and I can cruise in comfort with a/c (or heat+bunwarmers), tunes, and so forth. Not to mention that I can fit at least 1-2 passengers if I want to.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Aug 22 2003, 07:37 PM)
I must say I am DAMN glad now to have the tow vehicle + trailer. It's the only way to fly.

and don't you find you can press -a little- harder during the weekend knowing if you have a problem, you can still get to work Monday morning ?
si2t3m
As for me, same as the others, one in each trunk, 2 in the passengers compartment. I have an extra top and figured I could install a rack on it to hold the 2 extra tires (dont like the idea of driving around with 2 wheels in the cabin...

I saw this too:

IPB Image

it's from

http://www.okmiata.com/wheels_tires.html

4 wheels might be too much but for 2, it could be a solution. Now to afix it on the 914...

Marc-André
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(si2t3m @ Aug 23 2003, 07:04 AM)
I saw this too:
IPB Image

might be okay in a state in which you don't have to display a rear plate.
are there any of those ?

cars following seem to have enough trouble judging where the back of my car is - not sure i want to hang something 2 feet farther back than expected ...
brant
MMMmmmmm... Hallet... nice.
brant
Joseph Mills
Hey thanks to each and all for the many great suggestions and observations.

This morning I test loaded all the wheels in the car. I can't believe one of my rear wheels that are 8" rims with hoosier 225/45 will fit in the back trunk! huh.gif What an optical illusion. I think I could win drinks placing bets in bars with this one!

Simply carrying them onboard is definitely how I'm going for now. However, I am going to shop around for a second top - I like the idea of mounting just two wheels for top on driving, or two wheels in the passenger side for topless.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.