Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
what fuel pump works with FI....that's not ten thousand dollars...?

I was thinking a bus fuel pump (input-and-output style) with some kind of pressure regulator using the return to the tank as the relief from the regulator.

the pump is mounted in the front....by the steering rack.

b
Mueller
just about any 12vdc pump designed for FI except for perhaps CIS should work.......

I was thinking a bus fuel pump (input-and-output style) with some kind of pressure regulator using the return to the tank as the relief from the regulator.

you cannot have an output without and input wink.gif

you pretty much described the factory FI system.....

the stock 914 regulator is adjustable (at least mine is, not sure if all are or not)
bd1308
QUOTE (Mueller @ Dec 17 2005, 12:36 AM)
just about any 12vdc pump designed for FI except for perhaps CIS should work.......

you cannot have an output without and input wink.gif

you pretty much described the factory FI system.....

the stock 914 regulator is adjustable (at least mine is, not sure if all are or not)

Mike I was talking about a pump without the crazy 3rd port.....I did have one in my car (needed a rebuild or replace) but the mechanic took it, or its missing or its in my box O parts.

b
Mueller
'75/'76 pumps only have an in/out........so just hook it up like a '75/'76 FI equipped car.....

I'm sure pelican or someone else has got to have a diagram for you....

most pumps only have the 2 ports...........

bd1308
i had forgotten about the late pumps....

okay, well thanks mike. so as long as the pump provides around 40PSI of pressure everything should be good?

wait, mike....are the late-style 914 regulators the same as the early-style? I have a 74...

b
michelko
Hi,
you can use nearly every fuel pump used in L-Jetronik or modern Motronik cars.

They should bring max 3 bar pressure, 12 Volt is standard.

At the moment i am using a VW-Polo pump. Last one was from a OPEL Vectra (see picture) nearly the same look then the original late style 914 pump just another parrt number. But worked fine for a few km.

smilie_flagge6.gif
michelko
and this one i am running now for 2000km (VW-Polo part) without problems.

smilie_flagge6.gif
bd1308
thanks.

I would have said some german, but i'm afraid of making a mistake...

anyway, good night. I'll check tomorrow and see what I can find.

b
Dave_Darling
Any 12V pump that can provide the appropriate amount of pressure (~3 Bar; ~45 PSI) and flow rate (I forget now, is it 50 liters/minute?) should work fine. Just make sure you can hook up the inlet and outlet fittings correctly to the fuel system, and mount it decently.

--DD
airsix
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Dec 17 2005, 06:25 PM)
Any 12V pump that can provide the appropriate amount of pressure (~3 Bar; ~45 PSI) and flow rate (I forget now, is it 50 liters/minute?) should work fine. Just make sure you can hook up the inlet and outlet fittings correctly to the fuel system, and mount it decently.

--DD

What Dave just said. I'm running a pump off a BMW 325. My engine dosn't know the difference. Any pump that will provide adequate flow/pressure will work. The regulator takes care of the rest.
-Ben M.
bd1308
okay thanks people....

i was over at the FLAPS today....I was getting ready to ask them car related, but I knew they wouldnt have the answer if the computer didnt give it to them.

BMW 325
VW Polo (?)
OPEL Vectra (??)

b
billd
When I found the 3-port pump in my 73 dead, I replaced it with the 2-port pump for a 75-76 and just eliminated the "Y" connector on the return. Summit Racing also has a Mallory pump for FI that should work.
KELTY360
QUOTE (billd @ Dec 17 2005, 07:35 PM)
When I found the 3-port pump in my 73 dead, I replaced it with the 2-port pump for a 75-76 and just eliminated the "Y" connector on the return. Summit Racing also has a Mallory pump for FI that should work.

I'm not sure I get this. Do you just block off the return system when changing to a two-port pump? What is the purpose of the return system? I have to replace my 3-port pump on my '74 2.0 FI and I'm looking for the CSOB solution.

Marc
swl
In another thread a mallory 4060fi was recommended. I have a used one but haven't had a chance to test it yet - need the right fittings for it. It does have a return port on it that is supposed to assist in priming. Seems to run around $150 new.
jimkelly
I choose mine per jake raby suggestion.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...36629&hl=4060fi

jim
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (KELTY360 @ Mar 22 2006, 06:02 PM)
I'm not sure I get this. Do you just block off the return system when changing to a two-port pump?

Nope, the return system must be there and be functional for the fuel system to have the correct pressure. So you can't completely eliminate it.

However, you can get rid of the branch of that circuit that goes to the fuel pump. The third port (the "R" port) on the early fuel pump is Y'd into the return line. If you don't have an "R" port on your pump, you can eliminate that Y. Just run the one line from the outlet side of the fuel pressure regulator to the return line in the center tunnel.

--DD
KELTY360
Thanks, I think I've got it now. I would like to know the reason for the return system if anybody can explain.

Marc
pnewman
I could be wrong about this but I am sure that other members will correct me.

The Fuel comes from the tank to the New fuel pump then out the Pressure side of the fuel pump and then through your tunnel and to the pressurized side of the fuel rail system.

After the fuel rail is the fuel pressurized then the rail continues to the regulator. Whatever excess fuel pressure that is above the required amount per the regulator is then discharged into the return fuel line back through the tunnel and into the fuel tank.

Think of the return fuel line as a pressure dump for excess psi so as to not over load the fuel circuit.

I am in the process of relocating my oem fuel pump to the front and simultaneously switching over to a 2 port cylinder style fuel pump from the dreaded 3 port pump.

I will be using you as my gineou pig I guess.

Let me know if it works..
If I don't hear from you I will assume that you died in a firey 914 fuel pump mishap and then I will have to hit the books again. unsure.gif

Pete beer.gif
Jeff Nelson
Here's a pretty good diagram of an L-jet setup:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/technical_...4_18FI_diag.htm
This should be the same basic configuration as used in the 75-76 2L D-jet models. On my 73 2L the charcoal canister is up front and the tubing that connects it to the engine runs through the driver's side long.

One more thing, if anyone is looking for a new Bosch FP these guys have a good price on one:
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/productx....ump,%20Electric
I just ordered one from these guys. I could go to the junk yard but it's too muddy right now. (Occasionally I like to use a new part.)
pnewman
That is a good price for a new bosch pump without haggling etc.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.