Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1/2 Case Clean
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dave Bell
Broke down an engine to get ready to build something..

Thought you would enjoy pictures of a clean case.

- Dave
Dave Bell
asdf
Dave Bell
asd
Dave Bell
asd
Dave Bell
Nother one
Dave Bell
and another
michelko
yikes.gif Holy post-2-1117899824.gif

What did you use to clean the case. Looks like a jewel!

smilie_flagge6.gif
URY914
Plug the holes and use it for a Jello mold. laugh.gif
Leo Imperial
Great shots and an awsome job smilie_pokal.gif

The wide-angle shots are the BOMB icon_bump.gif
lotus_65
how importaint is it to clean up like that? i'll be rebuilding soon, thanks.
root
I know how you did it! Acetone and a tootbrush, RIGHT? idea.gif
bd1308
lets see the other side....

b
Dave Bell
Well I had a little help...

Your local machiine shop will have a power washer for things like this..... I took the case halves to them and they came back with only residual bits of crap left on them... mostly gasket and sealant left over on some harder to reach surfaces. Following two shots show what the other side looks like as I recieved it back from the machine shop. Then I clean off the residual junk with scotch brite, small screw driver, small wire wheel on die grinder + degreaser or Lacquer Thinner.

So I still have the residual clean up to do on the other half.

Cost for the wash... not sure exactly since I had them pull the gears off of the old crank at the same time. Total cost for wash and gear pull was $40. My friiend Bill Greenway tells me he has gotten the wash itself done for as little as $15 to $20.
Dave Bell
asd
Dave Bell
asd
root
Dave,
Great job! beer.gif

Let us see the heads when there pretty too! smilie_pokal.gif

biggrin.gif
bd1308
is that outlet you have that GFCI tester on working okay?

b
TJB/914
Dave,
That is so beautiful. You could make that 1st picture into a wall poster??

Hopefully Seanery is listening. BTW, Hope your tooth problem is ok.
When I did my restoration a number of years ago there was a guy in Indianapolis, IN by the name of Roger Reynolds (Ottowerks) who had a cleaning process. All the 356 guys used him. I sent my engine, fan housing, trans & a few other parts to be cleaned. When they came back they looked like they just came out of the casting mold. Very reasonable & worth the price. I wonder if Mr. Reynolds is still in business?? (He also had a real 1972 914-6 in pcs.) Hey, Seanery do you know him from Indy???

Tpm
Here is a pic to show.
Dave Bell
Heads I bead blasted myself... I have a Harbor Freight Blast cabinet... it really cleans things up.

Dave Bell
asd
Dave Bell
asd
Dave Bell
asd
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.