Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedo Calibration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smooth_eddy
I pulled my speedo this morning and am planning to send it to North Hollywood Speedometer. It is off by 15 MPH at 60 MPH. First, I have to put something on the end of the cable and count revolutions over 52'-9.5" (1/100th mi). Problem is, the cable is too short to get any tape or paperclip on it for a revolution flag. What can I grab the end of the cable with.

Second Q.......the black trim that holds the glass in place is pretty beat up. What is the best way to repaint? How does it come off? Thanks, Eddy
smooth_eddy
Okay.........just figured out the answer to Q #1. An aligator clip..... screwy.gif

Still need to know about the trim ring though.....Eddy
vertigo
This may take some time but it is what I did for calibration. First paced a car with known accurate speedo at 60mph to see how mine was off. It was about 5mph slow. Pulled speedo out and using a cordless drill spun speedo up. Would only hit 45mph but gave me a reference to adjust. Seems the speedo functions by magnetic force on round dial part. If set more in then will register higher (does not take much to make up difference. ) Put together and try. This may take a few attempts, but if you have the time and like tinkering then you can save some money. When I had one of my 928 speedo's sent out for calibration it seems the cost was around $125 (it now sticks at times) hope this helps.
vertigo
Frogot second question. The bezel is crimped around the back. Use a small screwdriver and pull up lip about 1/2 way around. You should be able to remove bevel and glass then. If not keep prying up lip until you can remove. (this must be done to calibrate speedo anyway) Realise that when you paint one bezel the others will probably need to be done also dry.gif When done use larger screwdriver to press lip back in place. Hope this helps.
smooth_eddy
So do I pry the bezel from the glass side or the the back side?

I am just going to send the speedo to No. Hollywood. I don't think any of my friends want to chase me up and down the freeway. And yes, it a 125 bucks. Thanks anyway. Eddy
bd1308
QUOTE (vertigo @ Dec 17 2005, 12:28 PM)
This may take some time but it is what I did for calibration. First paced a car with known accurate speedo at 60mph to see how mine was off. It was about 5mph slow. Pulled speedo out and using a cordless drill spun speedo up. Would only hit 45mph but gave me a reference to adjust. Seems the speedo functions by magnetic force on round dial part. If set more in then will register higher (does not take much to make up difference. ) Put together and try. This may take a few attempts, but if you have the time and like tinkering then you can save some money. When I had one of my 928 speedo's sent out for calibration it seems the cost was around $125 (it now sticks at times) hope this helps.

if your 928 speedo is magnetic driven, you will need to clean up the grease around that little cup thing...mine would stick too and it was due to some thick grease getting stuck to the cup thing and the surround, preventing movement.

b
vertigo
Remove the bezel from the rear. As for the 928 I was kinda dissapointed that after paying it would come back like that. I have already fixed the sticking, but as you know to get to it requires almost a total pod removal.
smooth_eddy
Remove the bezel from the rear. As for the 928 I was kinda dissapointed that after paying it would come back like that. I have already fixed the sticking, but as you know to get to it requires almost a total pod removal.

Just curious....who did your work? North Hollywood is highly recomended on this board. Eddy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.