Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone still goingto Thill Sunday 12/18?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
Who else is signed up for the Trackmasters event Sunday at Thunderhill? 50% to 70% chance of rain...kinda bummed but we only run slicks so we can't run if it rains. I'm thinking of bailing since I don't want to drive all the way there to be washed out.

I guess I could clean the garage out and get ready to tear down Fritz for the interior repaint and the V8 swap into JLO..... blink.gif

Bummer...we'll probably decide later today to leave tonight or not...

After driving at Laguna Seca last Thursday I was really pumped to run a 3 mile track.

Bill P.
Randal
Hey Bill,

I heard, via Dan, that machine of your is way fast, even with cold 600 compound slicks. Low 150's????

And what is the width of those monster slicks?

Glad to see you back at it!
DanT
Oh come on Bill!

You going to let a little rain keep you off the track? wink.gif ohmy.gif

I can't blame you.
No sense burning all of that gas pulling up to TH just to watch it rain.

Your car as it is currently set up is not the perfect rain car.

Again had a blast at Laguna. too bad Doris will have to wait for her first excursion in Fritz.

See you guys in '06.

Are you going to make any changes to Fritz after our laps at Laguna or are you going to get used to current set up first?
Was Rich impressed with the cars apparent performance?

Can't wait to get my car back so I can install my new (to me) headers.
Thanks Randal.

Dan
Trekkor
C'mon , Bill. poke.gif

Borrow somebody's fat street tire/wheel set-up for the day.

I'm still going, rain and all. I'll focus on the line and smoothness.

I'm hoping the weather guys are wrong once again and all the rain comes tonight and I wake up to dry track.

they have a huge shelter structure in the paddock so we'll be out of the elements, just in case.

I'm hoping I'll be putting the slicks on, too.

KT
nine14cats
Hey Guys,

I just got done putting the Phase 9's back on Fritz and doing a nut check. No runs, drips or errors!...Car is bone dry underneath and nothing lose....Gotta like that!

Randal, I turned a 1:49.2 in my last session, and I was braking WAY early since I'm still getting a feel for the car. Dan ran some blistering laps during the instructor session...somewhere in the 1:47's...and he was just helping break in the car...

It's nice to be back.... clap.gif

Are you on track to be back in '06?

Dan, I talked to JWE yesterday. We're going to try different brake pads on the car to play with the bias as well. I checked the pads and they are in great shape, but I don't like the cold characteristics as much as I did the Porterfields and Pagids we ran on the 914-6. We're going to try Hawk Blue's per Rich's recommendation. I'll pick them up next week.

I'm going to leave the setup alone for now. No spring changes. I was hoping to see how it felt in turn 1 of THill....but I have plenty of adjustment left in the bars.

Trekkor, I have 17 inch Fikse's that came with the car but I didn't pick up any rain tires for it yet. I'm just not excited about the rain...too much $$$ into the car to go off and break something. We'll be checking the weather later today to see.

We'll decide later today if we go tonight or not.

It doesn't look good...oh well...I'm just happy to have a running car again!

Bill P.
Trekkor
Bill, sneak down to your tire shop and pick up a set of low cost all-weather tires.

Drive easy, I'm not interested in busting up the car either.

I'm just looking at gaining a little more experience on a local track.

KT
KenH
You will tow the car faster on the trailer than driving it on rainy track.

Why can't you use Pagid Pads??

Ken
DanT
Can't blame you Bill about not wanting to go off and break the new car. Lots of expensive body work to mess up, especially that shovel nose.
Would love to hear that motor with the phase 9s on it. Not to mention another 20 or so HP! smilie_pokal.gif
The car was great, hopefully the new brake pads with help with the cold braking twitch. Although what are the chances you would ever run the car again with an air temp somewhere around 40 degrees.
After you get the car dialed in it will be a great tool to use with total abandon.
I still think the car is going to be capable of ~1:41 or :42 at Seca.
Times at Th I would put in the 2 min flat category. Ken Park went 2:05 in his new toy at Th and he doesn't have the down force body work your car has.

Good luck with the weather gods.
nine14cats
Hi Ken and Dan,

Yep...we decided to stay home and just party for the weekend! laugh.gif

Weather gods aren't with us on this one.... dry.gif Not going to take a chance on the new toy.

The phase 9's on the car sound absolutely wonderful....and much lighter than the banana muffler for sure...

As far a the Pagid's, a few of the boys in PRC say that the Hawks last longer than the Pagid's and have comparable performance, so they recommended I give it a try.

I'll probably try Pagids and Porterfields as well eventually.

Dan, what did Ken buy?

Are you boys working on your cars this weekend? I decided to have a few beers and work on my race trailer...my new tire racks came in!

Bill P.

Trekkor
I'll prolly have the whole track to myself... wacko.gif
DanT
Ken Park bought a car that had just finished being built by the PO. I guess he wasn't going to use it. Sergio said he had seen build receipts over 100K....wow ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
Early 70-73 chassis, RSR body work, big wing, 3.8 crankfire twin plug I believe. Running 315 Hoosiers on the rear. Very nice car but it does have a fairly complete street car interior. I am sure the car is much heavier than your car and does not have the tire combo you have. A very nice and quick car but not a full on race car like yours.
Have a nice dry (inside) weekend. More goodies for the racecar trailer?

Trekkor, careful in that rain. wink.gif
Trekkor
I'm watching the weather like a groundhog ph34r.gif

current radar...No rain at Thill!

SF Gate weather
North Bay 914
Trek, are you solo tomorrow? I am off work. I have never been to Thunder Hill.
Trekkor
PM sent

DanT
Well Bill, from the looks of it you made the right call on the weather.

Too bad that it is going to be raining all day tomorrow. 90% chance for all day.

dry.gif
Trekkor
headbang.gif
North Bay 914
Still going Trek?
North Bay 914
I am up...trying to decide to get in the shower ot go back to sleep....
spare time toys
QUOTE (North Bay 914 @ Dec 18 2005, 08:13 AM)
I am up...trying to decide to get in the shower ot go back to sleep....

Sleep in sad.gif
North Bay 914
I think he is on the way here...
North Bay 914
He's here...full report later...
Leo Imperial
Good luck wacko.gif

The weather in Oakland right now is bad.

Constant rain with strong gusts less than 10 min apart.

Good call to stay home and work on the trailer.
nine14cats
Man, Trekkor is a die hard! smilie_pokal.gif

Hey, if you have fun, go for it!

(I don't have fun driving a race car in the rain.... blink.gif )

But at least I should get the interior of the trailer sorted today and maybe even repainted beer.gif

Bill P.
North Bay 914
Thought about building an arc for a while...Boxster S had a 4 wheel off at speed with no roll while we were on track, mud everywhere, mostly uneventfull wet day. Had a great time riding with Trek, watching him push the car up a notch every couple of laps...he had a couple of moments, one brake lock up into turn 10, I was worried about getting my shoes all muddy...lol.

Like they say, rain seperates the Men from the Boys....

I am sure he will post a full report with video when he gets home in a little bit.
nine14cats
Glad to hear you guys came out safe. It was raining harder than hell here most of the day. Trekkor is going to have quite a "rain" video collection... laugh.gif

Bil P.
Trekkor
I'm tired blink.gif

Yeah, that four wheel lock-up and slide was...differant.

I was determined to come away with something today.

The rain forces the correct line, smooth wheel work, braking, shifting and concentration.

Any lapse could cause you to lose control.

Starting slowly and building on sucesses while correcting mistakes is the key.
On the surface it seems boring and tedious, but it was actually an exercise in consistancy.

I thought I'd skip wet driving after Laguna. I believe it will translate to smoother, safer and faster dry driving.

Valuble time spent today, I believe.

2.5-3 hours on track with varying degrees of rain.
Wipers were on maybe half the time. Never on fast wipe.

I'll do it again...Too scared to drive Sears in the wet. unsure.gif

I'll work on a video post of one lap and a 4th to 5th upshift drive by approaching turn #14.

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.