Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gary & Jim's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
J P Stein
The 2 of them went to CA, just North of Smella, to get a 6 roller. I got a call about 2pm yesterday with a Q or 2 about hooking the car to my trailer. If they drove all night, they ought to be home about now laugh.gif If any of youz guys see a red 914 on a trailer parked along side I-5, pull over & wake em' up. biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
Is Gary gonna be your new competition ? burnout.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE (sixnotfour @ Dec 18 2005, 10:45 AM)
Is Gary gonna be your new competition ? burnout.gif

Myabe. He drives better than I already, but he wants a car that is streetable.....at least for now. He's lookin' for a motor...3.0L or above. He also wants FI. The car is a narrow body, so I think I can keep him behind for a while.
biggrin.gif
J P Stein
Let's hope they're off the road. We started bout a half hour ago with sleet, now snow. Yuck.
DNHunt
Crystal clear here JP. Wind is blowing out of the north. I hope you guys aren't in for one of those Portland Ice storms.

Dave
J P Stein
The forcast is for freezing rain at some point. The East wind is howling here and I don't normaly get much of that.
It was clear & sunny till 2-3 hours ago. I could see blue sky
to the North an hour ago.....comming your way, Dave biggrin.gif
DNHunt
That's OK.

I just finished about 30 minutes of seat time with the rebuild (rebuilt tranny too) in the car. I gots a big biggrin.gif on my face. Plugs look great and no smoke. I think I got a winner. Gonna kick back and enjoy the rest of the day. Sorry for the hijack.

Dave

Bruce Allert
I sure hope they're back... or hunkered down somewhere. It's ugly out thar...

......b
boxstr
Just got off the phone to Jim, he and Gary are near Eugene. He said they spotted evidence of the icy roads because there were semi trucks on there sides scattered here and there.
They should be rolling in about 6 pm the way traffic looks on the freeways.
He said the car that Gary bought is a very nice one and he plans to get a motor in it and running before throwing on flares.
CCLINEXPEDIA
boxstr
Hey Bruce hello, how do you like the ZoomZoom. I have one coming in from the Bay area on Monday. What modifications have you made,
CCLINZOOMZOOM
Bruce Allert
Hey Craig. been meanin to get over to Camp & show off the "M". So far I've installed Jackson Racing Header,
Racing Beat Air Intake & MagnaFlow catback 2.25" Exhaust & muffler. Thursday I took it to an alignment shop & had an aggressive street/AX alignment put on it.
Talk about a difference in handling.

What'd ya find in the Bay area?

......b

boxstr
Bruce It sounds like you have been busy.The nice thing is that, after making all of those changes the car still runs and drives an dyou can feel a real difference to the positive.
I bought a 94 MX5 with the pass fender and front bumper missing. $900. I will sen da pic when It gets here. Supposed to be Monday, I don't think I will be heading out any time soon to get to it.
CCLINZOOMZOOM
drgchapman
Gary and Jim's excellent adventure ends......most excellently. smilie_pokal.gif
Car is home safe in the driveway, can't say that about Jim, he is on his way home slowly, very slowly.
Portland to Newbury Park and back, left Friday at ~4:30, returned Sunday 4:45. Jim is great company.
VERY NICE CAR. Ready for a 6. Somehow took only 2 pictures at the PO's house confused24.gif
drgchapman
another
drgchapman
another (from listing)
J P Stein
Hay, iz'at a real 6?
drgchapman
another (from listing)
drgchapman
another (from listing)
drgchapman
Hay, iz'at a real 6?

Naw, just made to look a lot like one. This is a cool car, one of a kind, for sure.
J P Stein
The hand throttle had me going.....but no black goop in the strut mounts got me wondering.
JeffBowlsby
Looks to me like it was built in the Spring of 1974... wink.gif
Aaron Cox
fully carpeted front trunk..... i like
drgchapman
[/QUOTE]bowlsby Posted on Dec 18 2005, 07:53 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looks to me like it was built in the Spring of 1974... [QUOTE]

Ahh, you noticed the headlight covers?

1974 body with 1970 /6 parts all installed, PO took all the /6 stuff and transplanted to another tub.....no rust, anywhere.
Essentially a brand new /6 tub. I t has vented rear rotors, with /6 brake calipers with spacers. Original /6 motor mount, oil tank.....everything. Super clean car, great job with much love by the PO. Lucky me!!!!

JeffBowlsby
Ahh, you noticed the headlight covers?

Yep the relay covers said Spring '74 to me...confirmed with the round brace at eh spare tire recess. cool.gif
Porsche Rescue
Jeff, you are a hawkeye! I noticed those too. Car could not have been LE since the red (Bahia I think, tag is gone) in the trunk is original color and exterior is a very close match.

Gary has an incredible car. Has six steering column, leather wheel, ignition switch, hand throttle, white headlight surrounds, windshield washer system (chrome nozzles even!), carerra front suspension with aluminum cross member but with through body front bar, all calipers freshly plated (some assembly required on the rears, calling Eric Shea), factory engine mount and oil tank and probably more factory six stuff that I can't remember. Haven't checked to see if it has the six wiper motor but I bet it does.
Twenty years ago, while living in the east, PO bought a black six and invested much time and money before deciding that he would never cure body cancer. While living in CO he bought the red 4 (from CA) and moved everthing over. He describes it as a 914-6 with improved ventilation, retractable safety belts, improved window regulators, door beams and an adjustable passenger seat.
The bumpers are perfect (early rear which I covet), all the rubber is new, all the silver trim is new, front and rear lenses are new, the interior looks new, can't find a chip in the paint. Has properly installed front oil cooler. Car has been sitting for 8 years awaiting a step up from a 3.2 to a 3.4 twin plug. PO never got there and finally decided to part with his baby.
He posted here or on Pelican (not sure which), asking if there was interest. A member or two came down pretty hard on him (some of us do that sometimes) and he pulled the thread. In the meantime Gary made contact and the rest is history. Anybody got a 3.2 Motronic for sale?
DNHunt
Way to go Gary.

You guys down in Ptown are really lining up the heavy artillary. Us guys from up north won't have a chance when we come down to run with you guys. We're gonna have to do some recruiting.

Dave
Porsche Rescue
Now, as Paul Harvey would say, the rest of the story.............

On the way home we were duly warned of the weather forecast by our wives and Craig Laughlin. We had worried about problems in the mountains between OR and CA. No problem there. We saw very little snow until we hit Wilsonville near Gary's home. By the time we got to his house (over some twisty, hilly roads) there was about a half inch of crusty white stuff. I left for home in my 928, getting out of his uphill driveway after about 6 tries. Back over the hilly twistys, more icy by now, came around a bend to find a stalled car and a jack-knifed truck and large travel trailer. Able to stop but it was close (good thing my seat is dark brown leather, stains won't show). Made it another 5 miles or so on the freeway before encountering sheet ice, huge traffic jam with semi's parked in the middle of the freeway chaining up. Others could barely get by and every time I started from a stop the ass end would move sideways. Being old and smart, I parked it on the snowy shoulder where others were chaining, and walked to a motel about a mile away. After making phone contact with wife, Gary and Craig it was 3 gin and tonics, part of the football game and and a nice night's sleep. Awoke to rain and beginning of a thaw. About 9:30 I struck out to seek my car, another mile on the freeway shoulder being showered by trucks. Much to my relief, car was undamaged and not even as dirty as I expected. Made it home to a wife more glad to see me than usual. Then it was time for a cup of coffee and 3 days of 914 Club Garage posts. Life is good.
J P Stein
That's a relief.
Jim got back in one piece & Gary is gonna be a CW laugh.gif
Porsche Rescue
Naw, no CW, you're too much of an influence on him. He got the flares along with the 915 and the Quaife. Unless he gets impatient, the flares will wait until winter '07. This year's project is getting an engine installed, likely mated to a 901 for now. He also got the correct 9 hole flywheel for a 901 along with a Kennedy clutch disc and plate.
J P Stein
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Dec 19 2005, 04:43 PM)
Naw, no CW, you're too much of an influence on him.

Who, me? biggrin.gif
Granted, letting him drive the shitbox was like giving nose candy to an addict......but I didn't have to twist his arm rolleyes.gif The car got his attention, not me.

It's a nice car, but I recommended against turning a nice car into an AXer.....BTDT. It ain't about HP, it's about tiars & suspenders to go with em'. The car just gives you somewhere to sit laugh.gif
Having said that, I'll help him all I can to turn it into what HE wants....as soon as he figures it out biggrin.gif
drgchapman

a CW confused24.gif

Should I be offended?

What is a CW?

Come on 3.2............
Porsche Rescue
Certain of the 914 enthusiasts refer to certain others, who like originality and sometimes get a bit compulsive about achieving it, as "concour weinies". I don't think it is a term of endearment when coming from the mouth of "macho racers" like JP.
Not sure, but I think you are something of a hybrid, so JP finds you tolerable.
Bruce Allert
I just KNEW weinie was part of it but din't quite know how to express mahself... congenially biggrin.gif

Nahhh... Gary ain't no weinie beer3.gif

.....b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.