Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: XM SkyFi in a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wertygrog
hello, wavey.gif
My dad got the xm radio/in car kit for xmas oops HOLIDAY last year, and he never installed it. So....since its sitting there im considering putting it in the porsche. Has anyone done this? wacko.gif

specifically,

-does the cig lighter get power when car is off?

-mount antenna on rear hood?

-where to mount the reciever cradle?

-what stereo/cd player is best for this? (my car doesn't have one). It also came with the FM transmitter built into the cig lighter adapter, so i don't need to use the fake tape thing.

-wire routing?

And no, im not installing this to listen to H stern (thats sirius anyways i think)

thanks
brent dance.gif
STL914
Brent,

This may help you. First of all, I have to admit that the system was installed by my son, who just happens to be a car audio installer for Circuit City and is pretty good at what he does.

My XM cradle is mounted to the face of the ash tray and is hard wired to the electrical system. I do not use the cigaratte lighter for power.

The antenna is mounted on the rear trunk, far edge near the engine compartment lid. The wire actually leads into the engine compartment. However, I also have a second cradle in my Acura Integra and the antenna just sits on the dash and works great as it is.
STL914
Next:

STL914
Again:
STL914
Last.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.
wertygrog
hmmm does that block the Heat/ventilation controls? If so that wouldn't be very good...but better than hanging from the roof i suppose biggrin.gif

brent wreath.gif
akellym
I have xm in mine, but went a different route.
akellym
next
STL914
QUOTE (wertygrog @ Dec 18 2005, 07:33 PM)
hmmm does that block the Heat/ventilation controls? If so that wouldn't be very good...but better than hanging from the roof i suppose   biggrin.gif

brent   wreath.gif

Nope. Even though it looks like it does, I have complete access to the controls. Never use the ash tray and the XM receiver fits in the dash cut out like it was meant to be there.
Rusty
That's exactly where I put the antenna for my Sirius, but I pulled the channel seal and ran the wire under there.

Oh, my stereo had an aux-out, so I was able to cable it directly without using the low-power FM signal.

And power? I ran it directly to the lead that my stereo went to. I used a piggyback connector from da Shack.

I keep the unit hanging under the dash. I wish I had pictures, but I crafted a piece of coathanger to make an impromptu hanging bracket. I can see it from the driver's seat, but it's hard to see from the window. (helps prevent theft)

Controls aren't an issue with a remote control.

I *love* my Sirius unit.

-Rusty smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.