Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: One eyed bandit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Teknon
New problem, the battery got weak the other day and the headlights started acting weird. The battery is charged now and the problem continues. One headlight comes up and the light comes on and the other one stays down but the light comes on also. I tried to turn the knob to bring it up, but it gets so high and slams down again. It even does it with the key off. The fuses under the dash are good. I did a search and couldn't find anyone with a similar problem. I think this car hates me. I do beat on it some. Help blink.gif
SLITS
Change the round relay............
Allan
QUOTE (SLITS @ Dec 18 2005, 11:57 AM)
Change the round relay............

agree.gif And check yer fuses. I had the same problem and after cleaning up the fuse contacts it worked...
Teknon
Which relay is for the motors? Is it the ones under the dash? I checked the fuses under the dash and they seem good. Joe
Allan
The relay for the motor is in the front trunk. Look at the motor and it is mounted on the vertical sheetmetal right behind the plastic cover for the mechanism.
SLITS
1st buy a manual and read it...

The relays for the headlights are mounted in the trunk, on the trunk wall, near the headlight operating arm....one each side....they may be under a plastic cover the covers the accuating mechanism.
Teknon
OK I found it. I changed it out and the same thing occurs. I pulled it out lowered the headlights. When I replaced the relay, it went back down. But when I turned the lights on again it didn't come up. There must be a position sensor that misaligned or something.
SLITS
QUOTE (Teknon @ Dec 18 2005, 01:14 PM)
OK I found it. I changed it out and the same thing occurs. I pulled it out lowered the headlights. When I replaced the relay, it went back down. But when I turned the lights on again it didn't come up. There must be a position sensor that misaligned or something.

Check the power connections then....Haynes manual page 125.....

Could be your headlight switch is not completing the circuit to power the coil in the relay. The switches do go bad.

Need to know year of car.....early switches are 10 pin and later switches are 11 pin.
Allan
70' 914/4 w/sways...
SLITS
10 pin

Ok Allan, so I don't read signatures........ mad.gif

And most '70s swayed anyway biggrin.gif
Teknon
1973 I took the relay out again turned the adjustment knob untill it came up and kept turning it the same direction untill it went back down and it goes up and down with the other one, SORT OF. It starts to go the other way about an inch then up. Both opening and closing. Tryed to adjust position but it still does it. It will probably work for lights, but now I have an anoying querk. icon8.gif
ClayPerrine
Classic thread.. How your Headlight Motors Work.

This should help you troubleshoot the problem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.