Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: White '63 beetle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
After working on my parts car today, I stopped at the gas station to fill up. Anyway, while I'm pumping gas a white beetle, with 5-lug wheels pulls in. When the guy gets out, we start talking. This is a project that he's been working on for 5 years. It's a '66 with a 2.5 engine and 5-lug Porsche wheels.

Really nice guy, couldn't quite understand him completely, some kind of foreign accent, eastern European, I think. Anyway, it was nice to meet a close 'relative' out on the road...

-- Rob
watsonrx13
asdf
watsonrx13
adf
watsonrx13
fds
watsonrx13
sfd
Tom Perso
Did you do him a favor and tell him to loose the clear 009 distributor cap and all of the chrome cooling tin (reflects the heat back into the motor).

Other than that, cool car!!! I miss my 63. sad.gif

TimT
Thats a nice ride

driving.gif
Lou W
Very Nice. smilie_pokal.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (Tom Perso @ Dec 18 2005, 01:12 PM)
Did you do him a favor and tell him to loose the clear 009 distributor cap and all of the chrome cooling tin (reflects the heat back into the motor).

Don't worry--it's a GEX motor, so it probably wouldn't last long enough for those to be problems anyway... wink.gif

--DD
Tom Perso
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Dec 18 2005, 05:16 PM)
Don't worry--it's a GEX motor, so it probably wouldn't last long enough for those to be problems anyway... wink.gif

--DD

Well, I didn't want to rag too much on the car, but yes...

GEX = barf.gif

It's like a Ford - Everyone only buys one once... wink.gif

Tom
firstknight13
ohmy.gif hate to tell you BUT it is a "66" NOT "63" as i owned one for 27 years before i got my 914. the give away is the 1300 on the rear trunk lid wink.gif also mine had the rare pop out rear windows for venting wink.gif
Mickeyb
The center dash vent and the larger front turn signals also show it is a 1966.
Tom Perso
And my 63 had a 64 rear decklid and it sat on a 71 IRS pan.

The parts all swap here and there. I have a few classifications for Bug.

Splits
Ovals
Pre 67's
67's and later
Super Beetles

They're all cool though... Esp with T4 power, 5 lugs, and 944 brakes.

Booyah!

smilie_pokal.gif

Tom
URY914
Nice clean car, no matter what the year.

But I'm not much of a chrome guy.
DanT
The car is a mix and match of parts. The main body appears to be '66 due to the larger window openings, deck lid and last year of wide chrome trim on side. The knobs on the dash are from a pre '66, as '66 was the first year to use black dash knobs. The passenger grab handle is in correct black as is the hand brake. There is also a gas guage. I can't remember which year a gas guage was OE. I know that '61 still had the lever on the fire wall for the reserve tank. No gas guage. I can't remember if it was 64 or 65 the guage became OE.

A very nice car none the less. I have owned two '67s. My first was also my first car.
Actually pop out rear windows were not that rare of an option. They became extinct in '68 when VW went with the assisted ventilation system.
Most pre 68 cars with sunroofs had the pop out rear windows to aid in ventilation. It was an option on all of the pre 68 cars.
watsonrx13
Yep, you guys are correct, I mistyped, it's a '66.... Anyway, just thought I'd share the encounter with the 'distant cousin'....

-- Rob
ThinAir
Even if it is a 66, it brings back fond memories of the white 62 that my Dad had when he taught me to drive. It had a gas gauge as I recall so I think 62 was the first year for that. Sure with I still had that car!
Dr. Roger
yep, my dad bought a new '64. black on black. it was pretty darn cute. drove the heck out of it.

1300cc. isn't that like about 36-40HP 4 or 5:1 compression ratio like my old '63 ghia vert?
DanT
1200 were factory rated at 40hp
1300 were factory rated at 50hp
1500 were rated at 53hp

IIRC huh.gif

Growing up my dad had a '61 red on greay
'65 red on beige
'68 blue on black
I had a white on black '67
green on brown '67 full restoration 5.5 chromies with 356 caps, full engine tin painted to match exterior. Empi exhaust, power pullies lots of other goodies. Should have kept it....darn.
Jake Raby
Nice GEX sticker.....

And yes, it is a 66 all the way down to the "1300" on the decklid and the round pushbutton door handles..
Root_Werks
That is a nice car! smilie_pokal.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Dec 18 2005, 02:16 PM)
QUOTE (Tom Perso @ Dec 18 2005, 01:12 PM)

--DD

My thoughts, perzakley .......................... The Cap'n
Joe Ricard
Rob just don't race him. Be terrible to be beat by a bug.

My last bug was pretty damn fast. not as fast as my 914 though.

Anyway that is a clean car. So would yours Rob if you ever get to drivin it.
mk114
definetly a 66

Wrong steereing wheel but a very nice car

I have always liked the socal (no chrome around windows)

very nice though

Rouser
I work with someone who's selling his '67; really nice and unmolested. I believe he's asking $5.3K OBO.

Let me know if you're looking for one for somebody.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.