Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MIG or gasless wire welding
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sj914
What would be better to use for our cars. MIG or gassless flux wire welding. I've been trying to research this by going to the manufacturerers websites, but I thought I'd ask the guys who do their own body and chassis work on here.
LvSteveH
It depends on who you talk to. Flux core is great if you are working outdoors where wind is an issue, but it is messy, and generally burns a bit hot to use on light metal. If you go with conventional mig, and a Co2/argon mix (75/25), it will be cooler, easier to control, and much cleaner. Straight Co2 as a shielding gas is cheaper, but it penetrates deeper and isn’t quite as clean. If you know you will be doing mainly thin body panel type stuff, it’s worth picking up a roll of thin wire just for that purpose. I’m sure someone with more expertise will be more specific. I’ve heard some say that mig can be too brittle for some jobs, but I haven’t seen too many problems. Even oxy/acetylene can be used with good results in the right hands. Tig is just awesome, but few have the equipment or skill to do it properly. Mig has a very short learning curve, and you should be getting decent results quickly. Good luck
airsix
I'm still a novice, but I agree 100% with Steve on all points. I use 75/25 CO2/Argon and a 135amp Hobart MIG. I've got flux core wire to use if needed, but I MUCH prefer using shielding gas. It's definitely worth the investment to get a gas setup.

-Ben M.
sj914
Thanks for the replies so far, this info is greatly appreciated. I just don't want to make any costly mistakes, especially if I'm working on a patch panel in the engine compartment near the suspension console.
Lawrence
I prefer gas shielded MIG welding. Also, if it's been more than a day or so since I've picked up the welder - I grab some scrap metal of the same thickness as my project, and practice running some beads until I'm satisified.

It's a skill like any other. Practice is 50% of the key to a good job. Prep-work is the other 50%.

-Rusty
URY914
I have a Daytona Mig that is about 12 years old. My welds are rough but I grind them off and hit it agin if I need to. I don't know if its the cheap welder that is the problem or the lack of skill on my part. Probably both.

Paul
JWest
I also agree with Steve.

I have also found that the cheaper MIGs will weld larger stuff fine, but cannot be set low enough to do sheet metal well (opposite of what you might think).

Your bet bet is to try out a model you are thinking about on some similar gauge metal before you buy.
John Kelly
Here is an article I wrote on the subject. Hope it helps:

http://www.type2.com/library/body/wlsh.htm

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
Jeroen
Definately a MIG welder with CO2/Argon shieldinggas.
Try to buy something between 125 and 150 amps or at least buy as expensive as you can afford (or get away with, without feeling too guilty biggrin.gif)
And get a decent gasbottle (2 or 2.5 gallon)

If you're really unsure of the investment, see if you can loan or rent a welding machine

Ask someone who can weld to show you how the basic settings of the machine work, and what needs to be adjusted for what, so you have some idea of what your aiming for.

Get some different gauges of scrapmetal to practise.
If you're not pleased with the result, grind and start over again.

It's a bit clumsy at first (setting the adjustments, handling the gun) but you'll get the hang of it pretty fast.

Thouroughly clean the metal before you start welding. I like a wirebrushwheel on an electric drill for that.

The only major trouble I find is that the older (like that of the 914) is usually contaminated with rust (even if you clean it well) which will cause a lot of "sputtering" or will burn holes very fast.

It may sound stoopid, but I think welding is fun biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
sj914
Thanks for all the good advice, this forum is definitely the best place to get answers.
brant
One thing that wasn't mentioned was the condition of the starting metal..

mig prefers very well preped and very clean metal.

one of the advantages to flux core is that it will still penetrate and make decent welds on less well preped or slightly rusty metal...

brant
dryheat914
It looks to me like most everybody has the same opinion I do, Use the MIG, do alternating skip welds to avoid warping, grind and go!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.