Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Good buy? Engine advise needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bread
I'm looking at purchasing this car: http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.co.../3/81336533.htm

It's been re-painted as I found a run by the front fender, and some rust by the door handles has been covered up. But the interior is really clean and the body looks clean for the most part. I haven't inspected the battery tray yet, but I like the overall look of the car and just want a fun driver that I can tinker with until it's ready to drive next summer (like all my cars I suppose).

Problem is that the 2.0 engine is bad according to the owner, who seems like a really nice guy. From my research over the past week it seems that it would run $5-$6k to have it re-built by a shop, but I'd rather do it myself. I do all my own work anyways and was just trying to get some barganing leverage on the price point. I need a re-build kit, but I'm unsure where to go. I went to cip1.com and found some B/B kits around $1000, but I have no idea if that's really what I need.

Is this vehicle a good purchase, and where can I get a good rebuild kit? Slap me silly with the reality of the situation if you see fit smile.gif
gregrobbins
2K seems a little pricy for a car needing a motor and has some rust issues. Type4Store would be the recommended place for kits. They are very complete and all the parts used will have been determined by extensive testing.

For the money you are going to spend on this car, plus the money you will invest in a motor, you could find a good running car set to go. $5000 to $6000 will buy a pretty nice 914. Check out what Craige has at Camp914 and the Classifieds on this site.

Welcome and good luck finding a car.
Twystd1
No way... For 2K

In my neck of the woods that is a 500-800 dollar car... Assuming it's not a total rust bucket.

Then again...i'm a known cheap basard. I get good deals....... (right Aaron?)

Cause the engine and the trans has to be percieved as a core.. Therefore little value in the drive train.

And it has after market Rivieras wheels.
Not factory Fuchs.
For me thats a double bad whammy..
I would pass or try to get it for almost nothing.

Look around... you can do better than that. Just ask for help from da crew here at our non-club... = NARP

And I agree that www.camp914.com is a good place to buy a car....
Craig is very straight up and a good guy to deal with.

Twystd1
Bread
Thanks for the quick replys!

I checked out the camp914 site, but even the "project car" with no paint or assembled parts is listed at $4000. Often times the enthusiast sites have the highest pricing on the market, so I generally purchase from newspaper ads and people who don't know what they've got. The link I posted for $2000 seems like a much better deal as I'm not looking for a factory correct car. I just want a fun driver that looks good. Bodywork and paint are too much of a hassle IMO. I have the necessary bodywork tools and have done it in the past, but don't really care to do any more of that kind of work if I can help it. I'd rather have a mechanic's special (within reason as I already have two projects cars going). I work in a family owned machine shop, which also helps when it comes to these things.

I also don't like the look of the car without the painted rockers, bodykit and spoiler. All of which this car has. I've found in the past that it's better to just purchase a car equipped with the features you want rather than add them to something that's 'close'. I'd just like to rebuild the engine to stock specs depending on what needs to be replaced in which case I'd upgrade to aftermarket.

But overall it seems that you guys are right on the money regarding rebuilding this engine vs purchasing a running vehicle considering the "rebuild kit" offered by Raby runs $4000 whereas you can buy the whole thing ready to go from him at $5000 according to his post in the tech section. But I don't really need any of the performance kits, I just want OEM replacement parts and I have yet to find such a kit.

I did another search on cip1 and found this: http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=914
Lots of kits, but I'm unclear if these kits include everything I need, or which one for that matter. I'll have to call up I suppose.

Here I found another source for kits: http://www.motormeister.com/suz/rebuild_ki...ild_kit_911.htm
They're listed for $789 to rebuild the top and bottom end of the 911 2.0, which I'm not sure is the same as the 914 2.0. Again, I'll have to call to verify, but this is more of what I'm looking for. (BTW their 914-6 kits look pretty reasonable.)

Am I on the right track to finding a rebuild kit rather than a performance upgrade kit? I think if I pay $1000 for the car and shell out $2000 for engine parts then the acquisition is reasonable, but is this idea reasonable or am I still in la la land?
Rusty
The only thing I've ever purchased from Motormeister was a rebuild Bosch distributor to replace my old Marelli in the 914/6. (Caps and rotors are NLA.) The replacement dizzy wasn't perfect, but the price was right and it's served me well for 5+ years.

Others have not been happy with service or parts from MM. Do a search. Make your own decision.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Dr. Roger
The whole thing is what do you want to do with it? Turn it into a show stopper? drive the heck out of it and then dump it? take good care of it and do some upgrades for possible higher resale value?

rust is THEE issue if you plan on hanging on to it.

There are rust free cars, especially in Cali.

Got mine for $700 w/no engine or trans. on craigslist. waited for two months for "the right deal".

best of luck. beerchug.gif
MecGen
Hi

Welcome to the club smilie_pokal.gif

CIP is great place for type1 parts...they are definately not 914 (type4) savez.
911 2.0l is a 6, 914 2.0l is a 4 cylinder.

Tub prices vary greatly all over the world, us guys outside of Cali, have to pay the price. Lots of topics were started debating the shipping option....and prices are going up.

The add says it needs a motor, but its there right ? If its your first 914, try to get a complete one, it will be easier.

This club is filled with serious 914 junkys, enthusiast in the purest form, but unfortunately for the majority of us, the first 914, is a learning curve. Without a doubt 90% of the battles (hardships) with a 914, is won in this forum.

My Early 73 in my blog is a 4000$ CAN car. My origional plans were for a conversion, but I still wanted a running car. You get so much better idea of the car if you can just take it for a ride.

Good Luck
+Karma

beer.gif

blitZ
I just went through the process of buying my first 914. Our market is very small, however you are in a good location on the west coast as there are more good cars available. I suggest using patience, eventually the right car will come along. It took me a couple of months, which paid off with a running car that just need some TLC.

Read the articles on the Pelican forum and elsewhere on what to look out for and ask more questions here.

Good Luck with your search...
ottox914
I think you can do better, but you must consider your use of the car. If you just want a 914, and one car is as good as another, thats one thing. If you want an OEM "show car" that one is not it, with the wrong wheels, front and rear spoilers, painted lower rockers. If you want to build a race car, you can probably find a cheeper tub to start with, that will still need a motor.

That being said, I have a friend selling a red 914, its about 5 yrs since a total restoration. Very nice but not perfect, but all the details of a stock 914 are there, the right paint, wheels, interior, 2.0 motor...

If you're interested, PM me and I'll send you his name and phone. He's asking 7500, but is "motivated" to sell, a reasonable offer would definately be considered.
Bread
Thanks for clearing up the 911 2.0 vs the 914 2.0. Porsche is new to me. My BMW's are the only German cars I've ever owned, so I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to this make.

I'm looking for a fun driver to make some trips down the coast in next summer. It doesn't need to be factory correct, although in some cases I suppose that would make resale easier. I just want it to look good and not give me too much trouble. I have no plans for a full restoration. The red one I posted looks good to me. I think the stock body is far too boring. I would end up putting the bodykit on it anyways so this is a good place to start. BUT, it needs an engine. That's a lot of work, but I'd know the engine was done properly if I went over it myself and have no problem putting a lot of miles on it comfortably. I'm trying to cut down on vehicles and just get a fun car to play with while I'm still single. At 27 I feel my sports car days are running out LOL.

I talked to the owner and he said it does run, but sounds terrible. I'm not sure what this means exactly as engine sounds can mean different things to different people. I was going to ask him to start it, but then I thought it would just do more potential damage and I'd be better off tearing it apart and doing an internal inspection. I'm not sure what it should sound like anyways as I'm not familiar with this engine at all biggrin.gif Should I ask him to start it anyways?

Can somebody direct me to a factory rebuild kit? I have no interest in anything in the $4k range. If I can't find a nice, complete, factory upper and lower bearing/seal/ring rebuild kit then I'll just abandon the project right here. Most engine kits can be purchased for $500 to $1000, so I don't see why this should be any different.
Root_Werks
That car has been for sale for a while. I would keep looking. Call Criag at CAMP914. He has lots more for sale than what is pictured. He moves through the cars pretty fast. wink.gif
Bleyseng
If you can do the engine assembly work yourself....
Pistons/cylinders- AA $300-94mm
Bearings-$100
Seals-$60
Heads rebuild- $1000
rebuilt rods-$100
cam-$200

Thats with shopping around but still getting good parts, so figure atleast $2500 in parts alone with the heads being rebuild too.
If that red car is clean and fairly rust free its worth $1000-2000 around here. What does the motor sound like? Is it just running crappy? Could be something simple to fix also.

popcorn[1].gif
spare time toys
What ever became of the $5000 motor that was listed here with the Jake kits? That would be the way to go wink.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Bread @ Dec 19 2005, 06:52 AM)
Thanks for clearing up the 911 2.0 vs the 914 2.0. Porsche is new to me. My BMW's are the only German cars I've ever owned, so I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to this make.

I'm looking for a fun driver to make some trips down the coast in next summer. It doesn't need to be factory correct, although in some cases I suppose that would make resale easier. I just want it to look good and not give me too much trouble. I have no plans for a full restoration. The red one I posted looks good to me. I think the stock body is far too boring. I would end up putting the bodykit on it anyways so this is a good place to start. BUT, it needs an engine. That's a lot of work, but I'd know the engine was done properly if I went over it myself and have no problem putting a lot of miles on it comfortably. I'm trying to cut down on vehicles and just get a fun car to play with while I'm still single. At 27 I feel my sports car days are running out LOL.

I talked to the owner and he said it does run, but sounds terrible. I'm not sure what this means exactly as engine sounds can mean different things to different people. I was going to ask him to start it, but then I thought it would just do more potential damage and I'd be better off tearing it apart and doing an internal inspection. I'm not sure what it should sound like anyways as I'm not familiar with this engine at all biggrin.gif Should I ask him to start it anyways?

Can somebody direct me to a factory rebuild kit? I have no interest in anything in the $4k range. If I can't find a nice, complete, factory upper and lower bearing/seal/ring rebuild kit then I'll just abandon the project right here. Most engine kits can be purchased for $500 to $1000, so I don't see why this should be any different.

I've never heard of or seen a "factory" "rebuild kit" in the 33 years I've been working on 914s. Motormeister is held in low regard by the professional trade, and that includes the WDs that sell them what new parts they use. That other link is for parts, not kits for our cars. A kit would have to be awfully large and expensive to include all the possible things you might need. Best bet is to tear the motor down, measure and check everything, and order what you need. You're gonna be surprised how much it costs to do one of these right. Plan on $2500-3000 and up for parts and outside labor, buying essentially stock stuff and using a good machine shop (one well versed in T4 engines). You're gonna end up with $5-6K in this car, and for that money you can buy one someone's already spent more than that on. The Cap'n
Root_Werks
Hey Bread,

Call on this one, seems like a much better deal:

http://marketplace.nwsource.com/auto/detai....cfm?id=8129521

Bleyseng
popcorn[1].gif "We're sorry. The ad that you are looking for has expired. Use advanced search to find a vehicle now. "

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.