Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: neo914-6 bumper projects...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
neo914-6
Here's my collection of existing bumpers as reference...
neo914-6
The fronts will need radiator intakes at least a large as 996...

BMW vents "may" be used...
neo914-6
I even considered modifying Ford bumpers to retain the chrome. This would have added some shape...
Dr. Roger
felix, are you going to use those red ones??? i can't stand my current bumpers.......... smile.gif
neo914-6
996 body color "cap"...
neo914-6
A cap is nice but sometimes too plain, I'm considering using BMW grilles but on opposite corners of the bumper...
neo914-6
I want the bumper to look like part of the body. Without extending it too far, it will be close to the original shape but with less parting lines, separate materials, and work with the original valance shape (nice radius and interesting torsion bar cap/bumps). It will likely be one piece as shown

Initially I planned a chrome facia as in the original sketch but couldn't solve a nice transition from "body" color to chrome.

For now I will run the fiberglass bumpers that came with the car and see if the intake size is large enough to cool the engine.
neo914-6
The rear is a challenge with what I planned for the tunnel but I do like a shape close to following the body. This is an example of what I'm thinking about (don't laugh at the material).
dlo914
QUOTE (neo914-6 @ Dec 20 2005, 12:11 AM)
The rear is a challenge with what I planned for the tunnel but I do like a shape close to following the body. This is an example of what I'm thinking about (don't laugh at the material).

mmm...woood huh.gif
neo914-6
If necessary I can add some "tits" like on the Boxsters...
dlo914
QUOTE (neo914-6 @ Dec 20 2005, 12:15 AM)

oOo..and add Boxster-like exhaust tips wink.gif
marks914
I like the smooth sketch,
Get some clay and start modeling!
Mark
IronHillRestorations
Have you seen the Rayco 914/Boxster kit? The front piece may be closer to what you are looking for.
East coaster
Neo......Please create something new, I hate everything that's currently available. I don't think there's one bumper design out there that really works with the 914's lines or even fits properly. I'm very tempted to create my own but I'd rather see you do it biggrin.gif

It totally pisses me off to see how many options there are for ricer cars (not that I dig the designs) and how good the quality of some of their parts are. Let's see, we have 916 bumpers, fiber repros of stock and stock. Not many options!

I'd love to see somehting that carries the body lines out into the bumper rather than changing the lines right at the seam of bumper to body.
neo914-6
I'll keep that in mind, I need to spin off some products from this project to recoup the costs biggrin.gif

I've looked at all the bumper/flare designs on the market and am focusing on introducing some simpler shapes. The feature "morphs" from other cars/models never seem to work well without sacraficing the original design...
dlo914
could just take a stock rear valance w/out the exhaust cut-outs and hammer it out w/a BFH smash.gif
retrotech
If any one is interested I have these stainless steel pieces that were made to fit in BMW Series 7 grille inserts. I was going to use them to vent air from rear bumper. I paid $65 for them. $50 if anyone wants them?
retrotech
Close up
retrotech
Original add.
r_towle
Felix,

First comment is take a look at the 944/924 front bumpers...they could be cut and made to fit...

I have always had a visual problem with how the bumper does not fit the body correctly in both the front and rear...mainly I dont like the indents in the fender..and then they dont match up tight...

In the rear...I never liked the rear bumper...it seems pasted on as an after thought...it sticks out...

I would agree, smooth it out, but you might gain some styling by bringing the entire rear valance out instead of pushing the bumper in...

And get new tail lights...modern ones from an asian car...
Or, incorporate the volvo v70 tail lights up the fenders somehow...

Keep at it, it looks cool...

rich
neo914-6
QUOTE (r_towle @ Dec 20 2005, 05:01 PM)
Felix,

First comment is take a look at the 944/924 front bumpers...they could be cut and made to fit...

I have always had a visual problem with how the bumper does not fit the body correctly in both the front and rear...mainly I dont like the indents in the fender..and then they dont match up tight...

In the rear...I never liked the rear bumper...it seems pasted on as an after thought...it sticks out...

I would agree, smooth it out, but you might gain some styling by bringing the entire rear valance out instead of pushing the bumper in...

And get new tail lights...modern ones from an asian car...
Or, incorporate the volvo v70 tail lights up the fenders somehow...

Keep at it, it looks cool...

rich

Rich,

Good comments, the 944 type bumpers have been made for the 914 and look nice but I don't think they'll work with my car.

The fit will be tight to the body indentations with minimal parting lines to look like part of the body. Mark reworked his GT bumpers this way to fit nicely.

I looked at several tail lights and even thought of using Camry "aftermarket" units that are close in shape. I also considered the lights to ride up the B-pillar like the Volvo wagon and Ford Focus. My current plan is to remove the center lenses from the stock tail lights so my retracting spoiler/center panel is wider. This will give the body more area and hopefully visual balance.

I plan to add shape to the rear bumper but don't want it to "protrude" too much. The venturi tunnel is more difficult than I planned at least to make it look right in a sketch. I'd post what I have but it's too large for my scanner.
neo914-6
QUOTE (marks914 @ Dec 20 2005, 07:07 AM)
I like the smooth sketch,
Get some clay and start modeling!
Mark

Thanks Mark! I have to drive to San Francisco to pick some up maybe this Friday but am concerned about the last minute shoppers, like myself. huh.gif laugh.gif

I decided to use Chavant since the AMACO clay was almost twice the cost and I'd have to pay more to ship 50+ lbs...
East coaster
I used foam and plaster to create my aircrafts cowling plug. I never tried clay, is it that much better?

marks914
QUOTE (East coaster @ Dec 21 2005, 05:47 AM)
I used foam and plaster to create my aircrafts cowling plug. I never tried clay, is it that much better?

Clay is better for styling because its easy to make changes. Thats why we still use it in the car design studios.

Mark

mrdezyne
I will be heading down this road later this spring. I will also be needing some venting in the front for a radiator so I considered the center opening section for a full size chevy truck. Not the headlights and all but just the center opening. I believe the contour is about the same and the plastic grill could be molded into a 914 fibeglass bumper. The shape is simple and boxy, just like the rest of the 914....
mrdezyne
I also considered the BMW route since I just came from that crowd and have some left over pieces. I have a set of early E36 grilles and a set of E46 grills if anyone is interested in them.

marks914
Here's an idea...
Mark

Scott S
Irregardless of if I like that bumper or not, you have skills sir! smilie_pokal.gif
neo914-6
Nice work Mark, I need to learn Photoshop!

Initially I was looking at Lambo noses because they have the radiator grills and angular shapes...
sj914
QUOTE (neo914-6 @ Dec 23 2005, 02:13 PM)
Nice work Mark, I need to learn Photoshop!

Initially I was looking at Lambo noses because they have the radiator grills and an angular shapes...

smilie_pokal.gif I like that lambo bumper. It looks like that design follows the similar lines as the 914
neo914-6
I also like the "bluntness" of the Nissan 350Z's nose...
Andyrew
I vote lambo.
neo914-6
QUOTE (retrotech @ Dec 20 2005, 04:50 PM)
If any one is interested I have these stainless steel pieces that were made to fit in BMW Series 7 grille inserts. I was going to use them to vent air from rear bumper. I paid $65 for them. $50 if anyone wants them?

I corresponded with that guy, he's local to me. "Racemesh.com" I think. I may have him make something custom but I prefer the perforated pattern like on the lamborghini...

The BMW grilles are a bit tall to fit in the bumper. I really like the new ones with an "eyebrow" but can't seem to identify the year and model.
neo914-6
lambo nose... blink.gif
maf914
QUOTE (neo914-6 @ Dec 26 2005, 09:00 PM)
lambo nose... blink.gif

That actually reminds me of the often disparaged 75-76 rubber bumper front end, with its rectangular fog lamp recesses. Not that that's a bad thing. laugh.gif

PS, I have a '76. laugh.gif
sanman
QUOTE (maf914 @ Dec 27 2005, 06:03 AM)
QUOTE (neo914-6 @ Dec 26 2005, 09:00 PM)
lambo nose... blink.gif

That actually reminds me of the often disparaged 75-76 rubber bumper front end, with its rectangular fog lamp recesses. Not that that's a bad thing. laugh.gif

PS, I have a '76. laugh.gif

agree.gif if there was a fiberglass 76 bumper that would be the best start
neo914-6
quick sketch of the rear "flush" bumper...

A well known member may work on making the spoiler articulate. rolleyes.gif
TravisNeff
That is a great drawing Felix, I would think that you could almost use the stock bumpers lines and incorporate that lower center cutout. If it is all verticle from the trunk lid to the valence the car's appearance starts to look tall. None the less, it looks great.
Andyrew
Cool spoiler!

I wana make one out of lexan for my car.. lol

also the bumper is very nice!
neo914-6
996 rads mounted, now to add the inlet vents to the front bumper.

(boboli914's) reference
Andyrew
Ya know... I have that red 916 bumper on my car.. but its black now... You didnt notice that at the bbq? lol

How did you mount it? detailed pics!!!

Looks cool (haha) so far!!!
JPB
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Dec 20 2005, 04:11 AM) *

Laugh? This trhing is so symple it is a Purist Minimalist's wet dream!!!

beer.gif I must have this COMPOSIT bumper!!!
JPB
SYMPLY USE THE STOCK BUMPER LINES BUT ROUND OFF THE TOP LEADING EDGE FOR A RETRO LOOK, EXTEND THE BUMPER SMOOTHLY DOWN IN ONE PLANE AND SMOOTHLY KICK OUT THE BOTTOM FOR A SPOILER. USE THE STOCK LOCATION FOR THE GRILLS BUT SHAPE AS YOU WOULD LIKE. VERY CLEAN ,VERY SYMPLE, VERY SHARP AND VERY 914.

beer.gif Damn I hate cap locks!
Sparky
QUOTE(dlo914 @ Dec 20 2005, 04:53 AM) *

QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Dec 20 2005, 12:15 AM)

oOo..and add Boxster-like exhaust tips wink.gif

Why, so it looks like it has a chrome anus? poke.gif
neo914-6
The composite rear bumper is further along but I'd thought I'd post what it took to build it. layers of fiberglass on a rear clip positioned up (thanks Jason), urethane foam with plastic coated cardboard forms for the license and Boxster bumperette pocket, then a layer of fiberglass using polycarbonate sheet for flatness...

light and strong like a surf board!
neo914-6
Here's the bumperettes mocked up...
Click to view attachment
and the final bumper, sans bumperettes
Click to view attachment
neo914-6
I started with bonding a f/g Rennspeed bumper and valance then sawzall-smiley.gif Click to view attachment
forming the urethane foam, the fog light bezels weren't positioned exactly symetrical so I filled them in for this version...
Click to view attachment
The final product with E90 BMW grills
Click to view attachment
JPB
Great job. I love everything you are doing and appreciate all the sharing. Love the rear bumper to death and gotta dispose of my GT one to make on like yours in carbon fiber and excellent idea with the rattle can foam. Sorry CF addict here. biggrin.gif

Keep up the great work smilie_pokal.gif
neo914-6
<!-- quoteo(post=818848:date=Nov 18 2006, 07:10 AM:name=JPB) --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JPB @ Nov 18 2006, 07:10 AM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!-- quotec -->
Great job. I love everything you are doing and appreciate all the sharing. Love the rear bumper to death and gotta dispose of my GT one to make on like yours in carbon fiber and excellent idea with the rattle can foam. Sorry CF addict here. biggrin.gif

Keep up the great work smilie_pokal.gif
<!-- QuoteEnd --></div><!-- QuoteEEnd -->

Thanks, I also like to see people design new shapes. I used a TAP half gallon 2 part urethane foam since I wasn't sure a rattle can or two would be enough for the large parts. I think the 2 part is more dense and rigid for shaping but I'm sure the spray will work considering alot of the finish work is in the final step. I have CF versions on the list...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.