Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NE Illinois Pro
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JHH
Hate to be so out of it but just got a new 72 914 2.0. It runs OK but I need to take it somewhere to get checked out and I can't find anywhere that knows 914s (I know, I know, who does?) in my area. Nort of Chicago and east of Rockford, IL. If no one knows of a place, should I just take a stab at any import place? I've owned many a sports car and I know it matters.
seanery
If you can get it to Peoria Brad Mayeur is the midwest's 914 Guru.
Many Indiana and Illinois guys take their cars to him.
nynone4
Brad's phone number is 309.694.1797. I recommend him as well. He's on my speed dial. biggrin.gif
736conver
agree.gif

But I think Brad Mayeur is a little drive for you, I know it took me something like 4 hours to get to him. And if you are in Gurnee that puts you about 3 hours. If you cant make it out there, go down and check out your local import shop. I have a shop down by me its mainly VW's but he does know his 914's. And if I had to I would go to him.

Also put you name and stuff in the members map. Its always cool to see more 914 people close by.

Memebers map link

Oh ya welcome to the club too.
GeorgeRud
Try Sol Snyderman @ Perfect Power in Libertyville, he's right around the corner from you. Also, Midwest Eurosport in Bensenville is not too far away.

Neither are cheap, but they know their stuff and have been around when the cars were new. I'll also give the headsup for Brad Mayeur, known him for 30 years and never, never heard a single bad thing about him. A very honest, knowledgeable fellow, easily worth the drive down from Chicago.
aircooledboy
I fully agree what what the others have said about Brad in Peoria. But, if George's suggestions don't work for you, there is a very good place here in Rockford called Import Auto Werks. Run by a guy named Steiner Locken who was actually a factory tech on the 914. Mine and a handful of other area 914s are the only ones he sees these days, but he is very reasonable, honest to a fault, and knows his stuff.

Oh, and Welcome. beerchug.gif
sk8kat1
hey chris .. was was just copied the note you gave me a while back ...

"Stiener Locken at Import Motor Werks on Madison in Rockford is a former 914 factory tech, and knows his stuff on these little buggers. I don't think he has much left in the way of parts anymore, but he knows his stuff. Just 90 minutes south is Brad Meyeur in Peoria, who is literally one of the best in the country with 914's. "

ya beat me to it!!

laugh.gif

WRX914
Brad in Peoria kicks bootyshake.gif
sk8kat1
hey chris I can't find the # for import auto works -- do you have it?>

mike
aircooledboy
QUOTE (sk8kat1 @ Dec 20 2005, 06:09 PM)
hey chris I can't find the # for import auto works -- do you have it?>

mike

Hey Mike,

I've been on club hiatus for a while. I think I'm back though. idea.gif We still need to hook up and see what I can fix your baby up with from my private bone yard. We'll talk when the temperature GETS ABOVE 10 FREAKIN DEGREES headbang.gif mad.gif ar15.gif

Whoooo, that felt good. I'm better now. lol2.gif
Anyway, Stiener's number info is

Import Auto Werks
831 N. Madison
Rockford IL 61107
(815)964-5950
qa1142
I can take a look with / for you. I am in Lake zurich. where is this car?
PM me with details, I am not Brad, but I have won a tech quiz (2nd thisyear dry.gif )
Will Lutman
sk8kat1
chris ----- thanks very much and yea I can't wait to get together ---

OT -- chris did you know a guty in rockford that had a 74 2.0 that was orange ---

I think you might remeber if you saw him or met him -- the car had shag , yes shag carpeting in it !!!! icon8.gif

older guy lives over by cracker barrel
aircooledboy
QUOTE (sk8kat1 @ Dec 20 2005, 06:40 PM)
chris ----- thanks very much and yea I can't wait to get together ---

OT -- chris did you know a guty in rockford that had a 74 2.0 that was orange ---

I think you might remeber if you saw him or met him -- the car had shag , yes shag carpeting in it !!!!  :sick:

older guy lives over by cracker barrel

I came within a standard pubic hair of owning that car! laugh.gif

It was in a garage behind Steiner's shop. The old girl who live next door to the shop (odd neighborhood) had it sitting in her garage for about 15-20 years. It was her son's car, and after his death, it just sat. She wanted it out, so Steiner called me. I offered her 1000 for it, but somebody had convinced her it was worth much more. In light of the awesome resto job on the interior, (Orange shag carpet ba-by, and about 20 sweet lighted plastic toggle switches aktion035.gif ) and the time it had been sitting, I just couldn't justify offering more. I believe the guy who bought it paid about 3k for it. Turns out he was probably smarter than me, because the body was clean, and after Steiner did about $300 worth of work on it, he said it ran like new. Still has shag carpert though. w00t.gif
ChicagoChris
I don't know about the rest of you guys but I know I am willing to help. If it runs ok and you are looking for a once over I bet most of the "chicago" contingent would be willing to drink a few barley soda’s and twist some wrenches.

As for shops I do the Waukegan to Rolling Meadows drive for work and I say the boys at MidWest Euro are a closer drive. The route west on 173 is slooow. Brad Mayeur is a great resource and a good guy. Prices are reasonable too. +/-$

Good luck and welcome.
Chris

ps...PartWerks consider yourself warned.
JHH
Thanks to all that gave me advice about my area. Right now the car is in a dry garage, and since its from CA with hardly any rust it may stay put for a while. But I'm tempted to get it out and looked at. Should be interesting. I know it needs a door handle, of course and a trunk hinge. The motor is quick but the trans? Later.
sk8kat1
chris I found the car on ebay -- it went for just over 2500.00 ! wacko.gif

yes lots of light toggle switches -- and did they show you the nifty car alarm....

it was one of those round bike lock lookin keys and the had one of those whur shirns on it like a cop from the untouchalbes movie... av-943.gif
Lab Rat
You might also try Fabson Engineering AG in Cedarburg, WI. (North suburban Milw.) Owner Dean Fabritz is as honest a guy as you'll meet, and few guys are as knowledgable with 914s as him. (Not taking anything away from Brad - I've met him a couple times at Blackhawk Farms, and he's a real great guy) Even other shop owners in the Milwaukee area tell people with 914s to "Go see Dean." Just another source for you... he's at 262-376-0427.
ChicagoChris
In this area of the country the only guy to go to for transmission issues is Brad Mayeur in Peoria.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.