Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Differences in runners BTW 2.0 and other TIVs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
3liter914-6
I'm installing a engine from a fellow 914er in my brother's car this week, and I'm not sure how to proceed with making what I have work. Summary of questions at bottom.

Engine being replaced is an original 2.0 (3 stud) with D-jet hardware (MS'd). Replacement engine is a 2.2 with 4 stud heads. I have manifold gaskets for both style heads, and was planning on using the gaskets as a template to modify and drill the holes for bolting up to the 4 stud heads. I'm not so handy with a drill, so I have a local machinist I'm going to have do the modifications. That's option #1 (I haven't found a reason why this wouldn't work, but if it won't please let me know).

Option #2 is to buy a used set of runners. There's a local VW shop (Austin, TX) that has a big yard and storage facility with used TII/IV parts. They're pretty sure they have a set of runners from a FI bus, but I'm not sure if they'll work. Runners are $25 a piece, and a the plenum + TB is another $125. Ideally I'd like to just buy the runners and bolt them up to my 2.0L Plenum and TB, but not being terribly familiar with anything other than the 2.0L setup, I don't know if this will work. If option #1 won't work, and just getting the runners won't either, I would consider getting the whole intake setup. Does anyone know if the whole setup will fit on a 914? Should I try and get a specific displacement (will 1.8/2.0 bus intakes work, and not 1.7)

Summary

1. Can a 2.0 intake be drilled to fit on 4 stud heads?
2. Can 4 stud (bus) runners be used with a 2.0 plenum?
3. Can a complete bus intake be installed? If so are there year/displacements that won't work?
4. Anyone within a days shipping of Austin that wants to sell me an actual 4 stud 914 setup.

Thanks!

Adam
qa1142
drill it
Cap'n Krusty
I'm pretty sure I've seen it done. The boots (hoses) are the same. The Cap'n
SLITS
Drill 'em..........
SirAndy
QUOTE (SLITS @ Dec 20 2005, 05:45 PM)
Drill 'em..........

agree.gif
dlo914
i have a spare set of runners, plenum, and throttle body that i'll let go for half the price OBO they're asking for at the junk. The runners have the 4 bolt pattern off a 1.7L Djet engine.
Tom Perso
Drill it. The 2.0L Bud plenum is WAAAY different than the 914 2.0L one.

Oh, and good luck. smilie_pokal.gif

Tom
dlo914
picture of the runner and plenum:
dlo914
bolt pattern:
dlo914
the throttle body:
SLITS
Daniel, the runners on a 1.7 are smaller diameter than the 1.8 or 2.0. They won't mate well to the 2.0 plenum.
dlo914
QUOTE (SLITS @ Dec 20 2005, 05:21 PM)
Daniel, the runners on a 1.7 are smaller diameter than the 1.8 or 2.0. They won't mate well to the 2.0 plenum.

thanks...i would've never known wink.gif
Tom Perso
They won't suit well for a hot 2270 either. But, the offer is a nice one.

I have a set of 1.8L runners sitting hooked up to a 914 2.0L plenum, but it did take some cutting and some tweaking of the runners. The 1.8L runner is the same ID as the 2.0L.

Just an idea. Either way works fine.

Tom
3liter914-6
QUOTE (Tom Perso @ Dec 20 2005, 08:27 PM)
They won't suit well for a hot 2270 either. But, the offer is a nice one.

It is indeed. Thank you very much for the offer Daniel. Sounds like my first thought was the best one. I 'll have the runners drilled/slotted tomorrow. On the other hand, we had the 914 flatbedded yesterday to a body shop (a fairly small hell hole), and the body shop apparently has a 914 sitting out back they've got a mechanics lien on that they hinted could be had for short money. Wonder if it's a 1.8 idea.gif.
r_towle
I have weber carb manifolds that are drilled for both 2.0 and 1.8 heads...they match up on both quite well...

I vote drill them..

Rich
Jake Raby
I have the right pieces... The 2.0 plenum is MUCH bigger than either the 1.7 or 1.8 or even the Bus 2.0. Using the smaller plenum will make for a choppy idle and shitty down low performance- ask me how I know..

Sure, it'll work, but it won't be right and won't be the best it could be with about 75 bucks worth of spare parts...
Tom Perso
You're gonna need all the plenum you can get with that motor... smile.gif

Maybe get froggy and bore out the TB a little bit too. Or, adapt a Volvo 240 TB to it. It fits with a little welding. wink.gif

You have to cut the flange off, weld up a new adapter plate and then mount it. Run a new TPS and dink with the throttle cable.

user posted image

Just a thought.... beer.gif

Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.