Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Looking to get a DELL
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kerrys914
type.gif I am looking at getting a DELL B130. My PC is getting old and the low level DELL laptops look great.

Anyone have any DELL discount codes kicking around or have any better deals out there. The DELL is $499

Cheers
Kerry
skline
Check Ebay, they sell them new on there for a lot less money. On another note, you get what you pay for on the low line models, I would step up to at least the 510 or 5150 model, I just did a couple of them for a client and they are extremely fast. With flat panel 19" it was about 890 shipped
GWN7
Dell has some smoking deals right now on their laptops....free new batterys...and if the laptop burns down the desk that it's sitting on they will buy you a new one too.

biggrin.gif

Link to Dell, HP, Fujitsu and Apple battery recall info
fiid
QUOTE (skline @ Dec 20 2005, 10:29 PM)
Check Ebay, they sell them new on there for a lot less money. On another note, you get what you pay for on the low line models, I would step up to at least the 510 or 5150 model, I just did a couple of them for a client and they are extremely fast. With flat panel 19" it was about 890 shipped

A lot of corporate purchasing monkeys buy extra dells at bulk discount prices and sell them on on ebay for a profit - which can (CAVEAT EMPTOR) result in you getting a "smoking" (LMAO) deal on a genuinely new laptop.

Be careful of ratings and the like though - proceed with caution - YMMV.

agree.gif
Kerrys914
Thanks.. I'll look around on ebay wacko.gif for something that might fit my needs. type.gif type.gif

The wife has a HP P3 500 right now (loaner) and it seems to be working well. This is my base line in laptop performance.
Brett W
I bought a Dell from a guy on EBAY. He was great to deal with. HAd a bunch of feedback and really great communication. I paid 400 for a Latitude C610. In the future I may upgrade again but this one is really nice. I am going to add some more memory after Christmas. Bump it up to 1G.
skline
Sorry, I am a geek, I was talking about Desktop computers in my earlier post. You can find the laptops also for a lot less on Ebay also.
anthony
If you want a dell laptop make sure it is a Latitude and has a 3 year extended warranty.
jim912928
If you do alot of traveling..Dell's have some of the weakest cases...alot of shot displays...match the machine to your use.
airsix
12/19/05 laptop Coupon Code: LD6L4D0M10?G36
Edit: This is a "small business" code. May not work through the "home" ordering system.
type11969
Dude, you're getting a dell!!

(anyone remember that terrible kid on the dell ads? remember how he got busted for pot poession? meh heh)

Otherwise nothing of use to report

Good day.
Kerrys914
wink.gif
QUOTE (airsix @ Dec 21 2005, 01:02 PM)
12/19/05 laptop Coupon Code: LD6L4D0M10?G36
Edit: This is a "small business" code. May not work through the "home" ordering system.

Thanks but
Expires Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Offer excludes all other software and peripheral items. Offer is not combinable with other site offers, discounts or coupons. Limit of 5 promotional items per customer.

Still checking around.
cnavarro
Check dealsea.com. They usually post every dell code the moment they come out. I got a $1500 600m for $750 with a coupon I found there earlier this year. My wife has the Latitude D610 which has a metal top rather than the plastic one of my inspiron, but her company issue dell has the pentium M rather than the centrino and I can attest to the fact that her battery lasts about 2 hrs and mine lasts 8-10 with the second battery, which is so nice to be able to work that long without power needing to be plugged in. I also opted to upgrade my laptop to 2 GB of ram from micron. Big boost in speed.
KaptKaos
www.edealinfo.com

These guys have new deals daily for Dells. Check it out.
ThinAir
I just bought a Dell Dimension E310 a couple of weeks ago. I did a Google or Yahoo search for Dell Discount Codes and found several sites. I just picked the code that gave me the most benefit for the system I wanted.
DJsRepS
I have a neighbor she has made her living for 10yrs I know of doing computer repairs , networking , and upgrades. Im needing a faster machine and asked her whats best make to get and without hesitation said DELL. Your on the right track with Dell. Better parts and more reliable and room for standard upgrades no fancy bay drive doors. I just saw a Dell add for a complete system for under $600. When you consider XP costs $100 alone then add the bundled software it is a great deal.
bd1308
do not do not do not do not get a celeron processor....

its like trying to run a marathon with one leg

you'll finish....eventually.

Step up to the P4, you'll thank me later.

Oh and if you get the P4 you'll also be stepping up to the good models. I have with me two DELL laptops that are the low-models.....they dont work well at all. My girlfriend has one, it's okay, but with 256MB of ram and Celeron processor and every application and apyware known installed and running, it's painfully slow. tongue.gif

b
ws91420
Whatever you do dont buy a Dell printer. They are made for them by another company but you cant buy printer cartridges from anyone else but them. Sucks when you run out and nee to print something right away. I have an HP with a Pentium 4 and my girlfriend has a Compaq with a Celeron M. both do well. Got them at Best Buy.
bd1308
the more i think about it, the better celeron is....

i just wouldnt get the bottom-line dell notebook.

notebooks arent very upgradeable...hard drive, sometimes processor, memory are the only upgradeable things on these guys.

get the best you can afford....not get the least you can afford.

b
SGB
Between me and my kids, we've got/ had 9 or 10 laptops over as many years. Overall observation is that the weakest link for ALL MAKERS is the attachment of the power in jack on the motherboard. We have killed 3 HPs by breaking that jack (OK the same HP rebuilt twice, then gave up). We have a first gen Dell Latitude (made in 92 I think) that pulled a pin when disconnecting the power supply, but otherwise still works and has a great display. Toshibas seem to be well built, but display isn't as nice as some. I recently got an "Averitec" and it works well, but appears to be fairly fragile as well. My son's IBM, as well as one I had years ago, seem to be the most robust. Dells below $500 are built to a price like the Averitec. Powerbooks appear to be strong, but I've never Appled...
jim912928
I've been in IT for 30 years....if quality and features are the most important here is the order of best value from the major 3:

1. Thinkpads (formerly IBM now Lenevo)
2. HP's
3. Dell's

Dell's will be the least cost and will be the cheapest quality. If you are going to be traveling around alot get a Thinkpad. If it is just for home get a Dell. This isn't personal preference..I've been through many many may cycles over the past 15 years of all three. Thinkpads have the absolute lowest failure rates...others increase in the order above.

Jim
BIGKAT_83
If you get the Dell get the warranty. I've had 11 dell laptops with work and EVERYONE has had problems.

smash.gif Bob
Bleyseng
I have had a Dell C400 Latitude for over 3 years now. Gone to Europe twice and to SouthAmerica with us plus I use it on the job everyday. Now only if it was a Mac G5 Powerbook......
Send it in just under the end of the 3 year warranty expire date and they replaced the motherboard and case, thing works like new again.
If you just want a basic laptop those Dells deals do look pretty good. The Latitudes are small and light but expensive!!

I use a Mac at home

popcorn[1].gif
bd1308
I worked for a computer repair shop (surprising, huh?) and repaired those power connections on the motherboard. MGB, if you have a laptop that needs work in this area i can help you out.

I have six macintosh computers (most of them are real old), and I bought none of them brand new. All of them worked when I recieved them, with the exception of one, which was fixed by changing ram on it. So, apples are *REAL* durable. My G4 has been heavily abused and its still going.

b
Root_Werks
QUOTE (jim912928 @ Dec 21 2005, 09:01 AM)
If you do alot of traveling..Dell's have some of the weakest cases...alot of shot displays...match the machine to your use.

agree.gif

Dell's are pretty fragile. Thinkpads are the best for taking abuse. I beat the hell out of both of mine, they both still work perfect. One I have had for 5+ years now. wink.gif
bd1308
yeah thinkpads are amazing machines. If you're into PCs, get a thinkpad and you can do anything with it.

b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.