Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine lid cable replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Mine sticks like hell. I'm afraid I'm going to rip the knob off. Anybody replaced one?
Aaron Cox
hood pins....
reverie
Do you mean the latch is sticking?
Rand
That would be nice. Maybe some WD40 could free it up?
Allan
QUOTE (reverie @ Dec 20 2005, 06:54 PM)
Do you mean the latch is sticking?

No problem with the latch. It seems to be sticking right behind where it comes through the back pad...
Allan
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 20 2005, 06:38 PM)
hood pins....

For the engine lid? huh.gif
grasshopper
QUOTE (Headrage @ Dec 20 2005, 07:38 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 20 2005, 06:38 PM)
hood pins....

For the engine lid? huh.gif

i dont see why not confused24.gif
r_towle
It is a pretty stiff cable, kinda like a bicycle cable with a plastic coating...

The tube is welded to the body and to the firewall...

It is a place for rot...

I would suggest that you remove the handle and backpad....then remove the cable by sliding it out towards the interior...The cable is probably fine...the tube is the question...

Get a coat hanger, some commpressed air and clean and lube the tube...

Get the rust out before you lube it up...

30 years and alot of crap gets into that tube...

Rich
Aaron Cox
look at brant's ride
914werke
I would suggest that you remove the handle and backpad....then remove the cable by sliding it out towards the interior...

Ok Ive got a related problem ...but worse. sad.gif
The relase cable apears to have been pulled the oposite direction to the point the knob end is completely instide the tube!!
Pushing the, agreed stiff, pastic shielded exposed end by the latch aint budging it.
How to get it out? unsure.gif
r_towle
Well, if you can open the engine lid...either pull it out, or figure the cable is gone..

Cut the tube probably 6-10 inches from the firewall and remove all of it, the cable, and the firewall piece that it is welded to...

You can make it new again with brake tubing, or flexible copper and some compression fittings...

I lost about 2 feet on my sons car...the plan is an after market choke cable setup...its a push pull cable, it has its own bolen outer sheath of wound metal and it fits inside the remaining tube...

The choke cable setup has a threaded section at the handle end that will be bolted through the firewall, and then the handle will stick out of the back pad just like before...

Rich
914werke
Engin Lid is off . Im trying not to cut up the car (tube)as this is the resto of the LE.
It cant be pulled though the top since the bend in the guide tube is to drastic for the knob end to pass.
No clever ideas...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.