Full Version: Ice racing 914's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
I found these on an odd ball site.
Looks like fun!
URY914
How's this for drifting...

URY914
Last 1, note the Bug in the background...

grasshopper
w00t.gif
r_towle
The bmw club does it up here during the winter...I could try it...might be fun...

I was told by a bmw/914 owner that these cars are not set up for ice/rally racing...he said a tail dragger is better...

Rich
i love porsche
yeah...the 3 914-6 GT cars that were campaigned in the rallye monte-carlo, didnt do too well, as opposed to the 911's that did great because of the increased traction from the rear engine
URY914
QUOTE (r_towle @ Dec 20 2005, 07:55 PM)
he said a tail dragger is better...

Rich

Yep, tail draggers are better. I could hang the ass of my '70 Bug out in a wet brick street for half a block.

Oh, to be young and stupid again. OK young only. wacko.gif
r_towle
well, i did build a 73 beetle for my son...and he is at college....he wont mind...besides, If I break it, I will fix it...hell if he breaks is I fix it...

Rich
gregrobbins
Ice racing Arizona style: You have to ice down your beverage to stay cool between runs. biggrin.gif
URY914
Is that what they call "Black Ice"

What do I know, I live in Florida.
r_towle
We have what are called seasons up here...and grass versus rocks for front yards...

And we can go outside in august...

As a matter of fact, we like to go outside in august...

And february...

Down is your friend...and fleese.

Rich
URY914
My Grandfather knew L.L. Bean. wink.gif
horizontally-opposed
Back in the 70s, someone stuck a four-cam 356 motor in a 914 ice racer. I wonder if I still have that article...

Why I am not sure... wacko.gif
Gustl
in Austria, very close to the home of Hermann "Herminator" Maier (famous ski star) there is the so called "winter challange" - a race event for historic cars on ice and snow
last year there was at least one 914
on an oldtimer fair I say the video tape
was fun to watch them race on the ice parcours smile.gif
djm914-6
QUOTE (URY914 @ Dec 20 2005, 11:22 PM)
My Grandfather knew L.L. Bean. wink.gif

my grandfather IS L.L. Bean.
Ok, not really, but I'm related some how. Too bad I'm from the bad part of the Bean family. Then, I guess everyone from Maine is related some how.

Somewhat back on topic. How bad would it bee to ice race a 914? I suppose the worse part is driving it (no trailer) up to NH.
dralf
rolleyes.gif For a moment as I saw the first picture I thought it was me running my teener on lake Winnabago Wisc. back in 1973.

I ran the course a few times, great fun drifting and sending up rooster tails of snow. That was the fun part, later that day I tore up the muffler and back end as I bounced over a patch of hard snow and bottomed out...Yes like someone said, young and stupid, but the driving and sex was great when one is that age.
spare time toys
I used to go up to Merrill Wis. and do the ice drags. We would run a ton of roofing nails through the tires and then a truck innertube for a liner for the tube for the air. I remember a 64 Nova that could hook up well enough to pull the front end up on launch driving.gif The best part to watch though was the shut down area. I tore up my trailres wood deck with those tires because they would spin coming up the metal ramps aktion035.gif
iamchappy
Mini Coopers and Saab Sonnets were untouchable ice racers back in the day.....
GWN7
QUOTE (iamchappy @ Dec 21 2005, 04:28 PM)
Mini Coopers and Saab Sonnets were untouchable ice racers back in the day.....

Yep the mini's were.....(don't know about the Saab) light weight and the motor over the transaxel.............Hmmm I wonder how my V8 car would do on the ice course....? idea.gif
Root_Werks
I heard the air cooled cars faired better in the really cold conditions while ice racing too. Sorta makes sense. idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.