Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: studded snow tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
I am looking for a good old school set of studded snow tires...studs in the rear and the same tire up front, without the studs...

What have you guys used, what is good etc.

Canadians please respond too!!!

And what would be a good size...the 165 or 155 seems hard to get....

Thanx
Rich
GWN7
I have 2 G78-14's Tiger Paws (steel Studs) in the shed. Check your local ax rules about studs. Here they break the classes into studs & non studs.
jhadler
If you're going for studded tires, why leave the fronts bare? You're asking for a TON of understeer. Go studs all the way around.

As for tire? Easy. Nokia Hakkapellita. There is pretty much nothing better in a studded tire. They are affectionately called "Hocky Pucks" by the rally racers. The tire is often the number one choice of tire by these guys when they can't get the full blown rally tires, or are looking for spares in a pinch...

I've run many an ice race on the Hakka's in both RWD and 4WD cars. They are pretty awesome. It's all about vectored thrust. Keep your foot in it, and let them claw at the ice...

And they served me well for many years of living in the mountains in the winter...

-Josh2
r_towle
These are for my sons street car which he will drive in the snow.

I have been driving my car recently...

I have found that the rear end wants to let go...

I figured that studs on the rear would increase traction...but studs up front would decrease traction on dry pavement..

I grew up with studs on the rear only...dont remember the reasoning, but it was safer...

So, I am looking for an inexpensive, super safe, super grip tire for a kid who has little experience driving in the snow, and has never driven in the snow with rear wheel drive...

I actually got my 1.7 liter stock car to fish tail on cold dry pavement...(summer tires) but it was a first...didnt think she had it in her...
Rich

airsix
QUOTE (r_towle @ Dec 21 2005, 07:58 AM)
I grew up with studs on the rear only...dont remember the reasoning, but it was safer...

What kind of car are we talking about here? A 914? A front-wheel-drive front-engine? A rear-drive front engine? An AWD front engine?

Unequal traction front/rear is not a good thing on ANY layout. Example: FWD with studs only on front = snap oversteer and lots of accidents. 914 w/ studs on rear only = dangerous understeer (car won't turn). Rear-drive front-engine with studs on back only = goes real good and can't stop (most braking happens up front).

My vote is for studs all the way around or none at all.

-Ben M.
rhodyguy
discount tire should be able to set you up with 4 165/15 studded tires for cheap (relatively speaking). i don't see the point of springing for a 2 sets of high end snow tires. source 4 steel wheels and the proper lug bolts, leave them mounted year round. change them at your leasure.

k
r_towle
cool,
OK, 4 nokians...and yup, I got lots of rims....Im gonna put them on some old rivieras..

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.