Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2006 SCCA rules are out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
the SM-2 minimum wieght is now 2100 pounds!!!!
That puts me seriously under wieght. Not to mention this is the only reason I was half assed fast to begin with.

I got two choices. go back to D Street prepared with a stock motor. Yuck!!!
Which I haven't disected the rules yet but hope I am not limited to 1.7L because my car is a 70. confused24.gif

Or sell the whole frigging thing and buy a Bad ass shifter Kart that is rolling 10/10ths of the rules.
Will consider all serious offers or Kart trades.
Aaron Cox
that suks...

whats your weight right now? (is it with driver?) i bet your no less than 1900...
Joe Ricard
Last I weighed at was 1965 lbs no driver as the rule book says. So I was close to getting the old number of 1900 lbs minimum. The Tangerine header I probably have enroute to my house woulda helped alot. Now it makes it worser. burnout.gif
watsonrx13
Yep, you were the one that caused the rules to be changed, you kept getting closer and closer to getting TTOD.... smilie_pokal.gif

Now you'll be able to counter balance everything with that extra 200 pounds you'll have to carry.... poke.gif
Allan
I have a set of '75 bumpers you can have. smile.gif
TROJANMAN
eat a big christmas dinner. chowtime.gif
Joe Ricard
Hey Rob wanna trade a really nice Early 914 with LOTS and LOTS of extras for your crappy silver Miata.

E Stock here I come boldblue.gif

Whoa Whoa Whoa . WTF was I thinking I can't drive a chic car. Never mind. beer.gif
jhadler
Well, it does suck when "competition adjustments" are handed down. But I doubt they were thinking of the 914 when they did...

As for DSP? You can run any "stock" 4 banger motor. Yes, a 2.0 L is perfect in a '70. And you can still use those super sweet tangerine headers.

As for changing classes? Would the extra 150 lbs really impact your standings that much? I mean, you're in SM2 right? So go ahead and drop in that 3.2L supercharged flat six and go Vette hunting! wink.gif

Sorry bout that Joe. The SMAC probably just wanted to make sure that the vettes would still be able to play now that they've allowed subframe mods, the turbo rotary miatas will start showing up... wacko.gif

If you run DSP you won't be alone. I'll be out there again this year, and I'll have to run against the reigning national Champion here as well...

-Josh2
J P Stein
piece of cake. Do what I do....LIE. laugh.gif
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Dec 21 2005, 11:12 AM)
piece of cake. Do what I do....LIE. laugh.gif

Say it isn't so. I really wanted to go to Nationals this year and be more than a field filler. Still plan on going to Divisionals in Houston.
Wonder how long it will take to get the stripper racing. dry.gif
Some of the mods to the yellow car are not un-do able. don't want to show up and be sent away.

Not sure I understand the Street prepared rule on Fenders. can I put fiberglass Gt flares on it?

Did I mention I want a shifter Kart.
Jake Raby
Joe, where di you get the info??I'm wondering if they penalized us in the EP and FP classes...
jhadler
Joe,

Fenders are pretty much fair game in Street Prepared, you just can't replace whole quarter panels. Wheels are unrestricted, as is induction and exhaust (can't put a turbo on a non-turbo car though). Any spring rate, any sway bar, and any non-metalic bushing. I think on the right course, the 914 can hold it own, even nationally. But on a power course, the bimmers will walk away...

Jake,

These are the Solo rules for autox classes, EP and FP (club racing classes) might get some lead trophies, but I don't know. We'll have to wait 'till the GCR is out for club racing. Is it out yet?....

-Josh2
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (jhadler @ Dec 21 2005, 11:11 AM)
Well, it does suck when "competition adjustments" are handed down. But I doubt they were thinking of the 914 when they did...

As for DSP? You can run any "stock" 4 banger motor. Yes, a 2.0 L is perfect in a '70. And you can still use those super sweet tangerine headers.

agree.gif Run DSP Check my sig wink.gif biggrin.gif 70 with a 2.0L beer.gif
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Dec 21 2005, 11:36 AM)
Joe, where di you get the info??I'm wondering if they penalized us in the EP and FP classes...

http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/168510.aspx

These are just SOLO rules.
Which I wonder, Since ALL of your engines put 914's in Street mod or higher.
Probably won't hurt your business any from us CSOB's anyway.

Street prepared says any flywheel clutch. .0472 oversize piston of the same weight and construction combustion chamber design. Are Euro pistons Legal? I bet not if you look further into the rules and write the SEB.

SO stock cam, with stock heads port matched 1" from opening shaved .010 (factory put head gaskets in the orignal motors so deleting them is .010), balanced rotating assy. Says nothing about valve springs so my dual valve spring heads are out. So why balance rotating parts as the valves will float anyway.
Jake Raby
I knew they were SOLO rules- I was just wondering if the GCR or a sneak peak of it were somewhere...
jhadler
Jake,

nein14-6
Jake,
The new rules are out on SCCA.org. I don't see anything that has changed other then printing what has been allowed during the coarse of the year.

jhadler
Jake,

I haven't heard about any lead trophies for Production. It's possible the comp board may change their minds and do somethign dastardly, but who knows... slap.gif

I would expect a few classes to get "competition adjustments", but no way to know right now. Chris? Erik? Know anything we don't?

Joe,

You're pretty much right on about the engine allowances. There's not a lot you can do -inside- the motor. Oh, you can't delete the head gasket... The VW's could because there was a TSB saying so, but Porsche never released a TSB deleteing the head gasket, so you gotta keep it. I did... sad.gif

There are some -grey- areas that can be exploited though... Like shaving the case instead of the heads... Probably can't get too much threre without fuching up the geometry somewhere, but it's a grey area as there are no factory specs on the case dimensions... Definitely something Jake could figure out though...

Oh, you can't strip the interior either...

In Street Prepared, weight is everything, as power is limited...

-Josh2
Brett W
Joe, in SM you are required to have a full interior, that means dash, back pad, full, door panels, carpets, etc. You are also required to keep the sound deadening as well. My street car with full steel panels, except for some fiberglass flares was 2080 with out me in it. It had no sound deadening, and heaters.

Build you a T4 and put a small T3 or 14B turbo on it and you will wax everyones ass. Trust me you have nothing to worry about. THis will just allow you to put the weight were you want it. Down low and in the middle.
jhadler
Brett, you're kidding right? A turbo T-IV in SM2 will have what? 175 hp? Maybe 200 tops? And weigh in at 2100 lbs. Now put that up against a Z06 with well over 500 hp and weighing in at maybe 2800 lbs? yeah, right...good luck...

I don't see it hapening... The only way I see a 914 is gonna be nationally competitive in SM2 is for someone to break down and put a big ol' supercharged six in there with monster flares, big arse wheels and tahrs, a 915 gear box, a pretty thorough cage to reinforce the chassis, and some really good suspension work...

Really, when the rules were first proposed for Street Mod, it was intended to address the common mods done to modern tuner cars. From day one I saw the class as a mega cubic dollar class. Only now are cars starting to show up that are getting close to the limit of the rules.... Somehow, I don't think that even Grant (the guy who basically -wrote- the rules) really expected the class to become what it has. But once the Genie gets out of the bottle, it's pretty tough to get 'em back in there...

-Josh2
Thorshammer
For the 914-6 in EP, nothing yet, But I really don't think my car is a class killer. I think many people see it as a competitive car, not a over competitive car, besides, I don't motor a single person, The passing on the back straight is set up on the drive and in the draft. I doubt I will be seeing any changes in the weight. As for Chris in FP, Most people will say that Mark Hotchkiss was a world class driver, and thats why the car won. I think the FP car is right on the money with the other FP MGB, midgets, Spitfires. We just need to get our guys going a touch better, it's all in the set up, and some luck... We've got good drivers, just need to hit the marks. We will!

Erik Madsen
Joe Ricard
I disagree with the full interior in street mod. I don't have to have any sound deadening or back pad. for some reason I need door panels and carpets.

What gets me is a ZO6 is all fiberglass or is it plastic. We can't even run fiberglass deck lids. just the little bitty engine cover. OOOOH that will save a few pounds. I think I seen the Elise as eligible now I read so much today I can't keep it all straight. But they are screwed @ 1900 pounds too.

I guess I need to go back to the scales and see exactly what I got with wheels and Hoosiers. Start a log book of everything I take off and put on to the oz.

Thanks ya'll for letting me vent. Now I have two roads to chose from. Street prepared with stockish power or Street mod with a turbo 4.

Or behind door number 3 is a 125 Shifter Kart mueba.gif
jhadler
Joe, really, you gotta read the rules...

Alternate deck lids are totally legal in SM. Hell, you could make 'em out of paper mache if you wanted to...

But with a minimum weight of 2100, you're gonna need waay more juice than a turbo type IV can deliver to go against the Z06 with considerably more than 500 hp at the pedal.

I for one would really love to see a 914 give the vettes a challenge, but a turbo type IV just ain't gonna do it... Jake? smile.gif

-Josh2
jhadler
Aw hell, just get the shifter kart Joe!

Having driven them before, I can say they are totally a blast and a half!!!

Only reasons I didn't spring for one were that I really wanted to be able to take passengers, and my back just ain't what it used to be...

-Josh2
Brett W
If you don't feel that you can be competetive either don't play or bring a bigger hammer. Since I don't follow autocross too much any more I don;'t keep an eye on the national scene. Joe is building a car to run on a local and regional level. If he is a good driver I feel he can keep up with and beat many of his competitors. I have seen one of our local National Champs show up and beat everyone (even the shifter carts) ina supercharged Miata. Not even his car. On the local level for the most part driver trumps equipment. Yes there are exceptions.

With that said SM was not setup for a 914. It was designed to catch, as you said all the "tuner " cars. How many 914s are running in competition nowdays anyways? A handful at the National level. Manufactures don't care about older models, they don't like to see older models beating up on the newer stuff either, so you will see the rules biased to suit certian new models. Look at how hard Mazda and Dodge worked to get the Miata and Neon in classes where they can dominate.

I would build a car to run in another class. The street prepared classes are a nice place to play so are the prepared classes. How about the ST classes? Any of them open to a 914.
jhadler
You could run a 1.8 in ST2... I think it would get hammered though... Maybe not...

-Josh2
jhadler
Joe mentioned wanted to go to Nationals and be something more than class filler. That takes a serious combination of things. Look at the results from the 2005 Nationals. I don't think a single one of the top ten cars had less than 250 hp. Even the miatas (or is that miatae?), were pushing a whole lot of boost. We know the vettes are somewhere beyond 500 hp, and I know that Andy's RX-7 is well north of 400 hp (or at least it was the last three times that car has won a championship). Dan's miata was running something well north of 12 psi of boost two years ago, so I can only assume he's running at least that much now...

Power certainly isn't everything, but I know many of the drivers on that list, they're all top level drivers, and those cars are all exceptionally well prepared. Andy's RX-7 has been one of my "wish-list" cars for nearly 10 years now...

SM and SM2 is are heavy hitter classes that have only just now started to show their true potential...

-Josh2
Dave-O
QUOTE (jhadler @ Dec 22 2005, 09:50 AM)
You could run a 1.8 in ST2... I think it would get hammered though... Maybe not...

-Josh2

I'm doing this next year with my 1.7. It honestly seems to me to be the most compeditive class for a 914 without a huge budget. My car should be pretty well prepped for it so I'll keep you informed. The class includes MK1 miatas, MK1 MR2's, CRX's and a few others. We're still down in the power to weight department but not as much as in stock or street prepared classes. Depending on how the tuning of the car and my driving progresses...I might see you at nationals Joe!!! beerchug.gif
ottox914
I too was saddened to see the proposal over the summer to make "mid and rear" engined rear wheel drive work with a heavier min wt. And now that its "law", well, since when had the SCCA ever favored any Porsche. I just laugh it off as another anti Porsche incident. What other car company makes a line of mid and rear engined sports cars... How about the 3rd gen RX-7 being a "front-mid engine" design... how much weight should we stick them with?

I think the ultimate revenge will be for someone with bucks, (not me) to build a GT flaired, 3.9L 6 cyl car with some real meat at the corners, keep it to 2100#, and rule the world.

OR, for Dave-o to lay down some STS-2 smack on the miatas and MR-2's. biggrin.gif
jhadler
It's possible they were thinking about the 911 and Boxter lines... No, I doubt the 914 even occured to them... However, I think the real threat they may have been concerned with is the Lotus Elise/Exige... Now THAT would be a seriously wicked SM2 car.

Personally I think it's absurd to impose that kind of penalty when the Z06 still rules the roost... What, the Corvette doesn't have enough classes to be competitive in??!?!?!

SS, AS, BS, ASP, BSP, BP, and SM2. isn't that more than enough for one freakin' model of car?!?!

Yeesh...

-Josh2
alpha434
Anyone seen Harris' SP #11?? Theres a viper killer... Who mentioned dropping in a six and big flares? Harris' car is the fastest in the Colorado. If anyone wants to race him they should keep an eye on the Nostalgia roster next year. He's classed super production so he flies with the GT1 cars in SCCA.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.