Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lesser of two evils?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brotherbob
I have a 1.8 carb engine that I want to hear run soon, maybe over the holi-daze.
What would you use ?
The 34 ICTS seem to be a tidy set up that would allow some much needed room under the hood.
But.....I hear they are a pain the ass to tune - I feel froggy.
The Weber really has a bad name but there sure are a bunch of them out there and ease of tuning, parts, etc.
Wadda think? screwy.gif
davep
Does either one pass the "float test"?

popcorn[1].gif
Brotherbob
Float test ? Throw em in the lake and see if they float ?
biggrin.gif
davep
Yeah. Thats the one. Certainly is a question of two evils. Best of luck. I'm sticking with original FI for a while yet, then I'll look at at other FI options.
JoeSharp
I've been pulling the injection systems and installing carbs (notice the s). The lesser of your 2 evils is twins.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Dave_Darling
Yup--anything at all is better than the single-carb setup. Unless you go to a lot of trouble to heat up the manifolds. Then maybe--maybe--it can work OK.

--DD
Brotherbob
So the twins it is.
I really want this as a back up plan for FI but I am lacking a few pcs.
I have no idea if the FI ECM is good and the injectors look like hell.
So the big problem with single carbs is the " heating of the manifold" ?
Maybe like the old type 1 engines that frosted the intake with ice? chatsmiley.gif
LvSteveH
cool_shades.gif You could always go twin progressives
Jake Raby
Anything is better than the piece of shit progressive.... The ICT isn't a bad carb at all, the only thing that sucks about them is having to remove the top of the carb to make a jet change...
dlo914
QUOTE (Brotherbob @ Dec 21 2005, 08:33 PM)
So the twins it is.
I really want this as a back up plan for FI but I am lacking a few pcs.
I have no idea if the FI ECM is good and the injectors look like hell.
So the big problem with single carbs is the " heating of the manifold" ?
Maybe like the old type 1 engines that frosted the intake with ice? chatsmiley.gif

ive got a 1.7L ECU and harness i have no use for...i'll let it go for $50.
Trekkor
I've seen what the FOUR guys can do with carbs.

Steve N., Nathan, Albert, Sir Andy...

If I was running a FOUR again, Webers would be on board.

KT
eg914
I ran 34ICTs on a type III for years. Easy to tune, ran great, warmed up quickly. I have the progressive on my 914. Absolutely horrible. RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!
Anything would be better than the single progressive on a flat 4.
bd1308
everytime someone puts a progressive carb on a 914, a kitten dies....

please think of the kittens.....

b
Bleyseng
QUOTE (trekkor @ Dec 21 2005, 09:21 PM)

KT

Only witha cam change, otherwise its a waste of time mad.gif
davep
QUOTE (trekkor @ Dec 21 2005, 09:21 PM)

KT

Sure, but just look what can be done with modern FI.
I've driven a car with two dual Webers, and it was nowhere as good as the original FI. I'm not saying it cannot be done because it certainly has been. However it takes a much greater skill, and lots of parts, to do so correctly.
URY914
I've got a Progressive that I would be happy to send to you.
Brotherbob
Well I guess we could make up a progressive dual set up !
Twice as much to complain about. sawzall-smiley.gif
LvSteveH
I agree with the suggestion to go with the ICT's, but having "dual" progressives actually solves most of the problems they are known for on 914's. I've got electric chokes, and for the most part you wouldn't have any idea you were running carbs. The only issues I've had were going to higher elevation in Moab for the Red Rock Classic. I've got my idle rpm set pretty low in vegas, but up there, the fat mixture had me down to 400 rpms or so. When I got back down here, the idle jumped back up, and I haven't touched it since. I'm guessing very few kits were made to put dual progressives in a 914.
IronHillRestorations
I'm voting for the dual ICTs. Not optimum, but better than the progressive.

I've only seen/drove one car that ran decent with the single progressive carb set up. It had small intake runners though, which would help with the world famous low end gasp the single is known for, and the guy did a lot of tinkering with the jetting to get it optimized. Or at least as optimized as you can get with a set up that's ill suited for the application.

If you don't mind having the engine totally fall on it's face when you punch it from idle; or if you don't mind the engine never really running well in cool weather; then the single is for you laugh.gif They could be considered fool proof though. If it isn't a piece of corroded crap, the car will run, not the best but it will run.

Don't be intimidated by syncronizing dual carbs. It's not black magic.

The problem lots of guys run into with carbs is having the wrong carbs (usually too big) or the wrong venturi and jet package for the displacement and cam (again usually too big). If you have the wrong size carbs and/or the wrong venturi and jet package, you may as well have a single progressive.

The european 1.8's had dual Solex carbs(IIRC), which are similar to the ICTs. I'd like to see the air cleaner set up for those first hand.
Brotherbob
Well allllllrighty then..... biggrin.gif
Man you guys are awesome when it comes to this kinda info!
I'm building a Porsche on a Volkswagen budget ... screwy.gif
Where can a guy find air filters and covers for 34ICTs?
Anyone wannna buy a progressive with intake runners, air filter? I'm embarrassed to say what I paid for it.. sad.gif Thats Ok though, I just figured out I have built the engine, torn down another car and engine for parts...........and never had a manual!EDIT DRUNK TYPING,due to the info here and the birdEDIT DRUNK TYPING! I just scored one on Ebay, it was cheap, 10 bucks , I'm cheap....
Thanks guys, Merry Christmas,
Muchos Gracias Compadres' beer.gif
givemebeer.gif givemebeer.gif givemebeer.gif givemebeer.gif givemebeer.gif drunk.gif drunk.gif drunk.gif drunk.gif drunk.gif drunk.gif drunk.gif
Trekkor
Where can a guy find air filters and covers for 34ICTs?

Check one of the Bug mags ( HotVW's ).

KT
Aaron Cox
cip1.com should have ya covered

AA
Al Meredith
I've saved an article from HOT VW's way back when progressive carbs were first used and that engine used duel 32/36's . If you could find those manifolds you might have something.
bd1308
it would be cool to have a set of dual progressives.....

b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.