Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: front mounted oiltank (six cyl.)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeroen
Could anyone running a front mounted oiltank measure the height of the outlet (return line back to the engine) fitting relative to the front trunk floor?

Should it be at least as high as the fitting on the oilcooler (on the engine) to help feed the oil back to the engine?

Any other issues I need to keep in mind to prevent oilstarvation

I'm planning on -16 return lines with a spiral insert to prevent collapsing

Any tips/hints welcome...
John
I wish I had a measurement for you, but I don't. I may be able to measure this weekend. The outlet of our tank allows the hose to pass over the front steering rack hump and under the gas tank without making any elevation changes.

Our track car uses teflon lined stainless braided oil lines without any anti-collapse coils inside or outside them. I believe that the stainless braid helps to keep the suction line from collapsing. We routed the suction line (from the tank) straight back under the gas tank but over the steering rack hump and into the passenger comp. From there, the oil line follows the center tunnel and then bends gradually behind the driver seat and through a 90 degree bulkhead union through the lower firewall at the indentation where the inner and outer firewalls touch each other. From there, it is nearly a straight shot to the engine oil cooler. This may impede rearward travel of the seat, but not enough to effect me.
Jeroen
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Dec 22 2005, 04:49 AM)
I may be able to measure this weekend

That would be much apreciated!
Thanks...
john rogers
I think you are talking about the pressure pump suction? I think you can get an idea if you check Jim Patrick's website as he has picts of several cars and their front trunk area. From talking to several race fabricators, it is the level of oil in the tank that determines how much the engine gets and if the car sits, like my race car does, a lot of the oil seeps into the crankcase so there is never any chance of starvation.
John
Here is a crappy pic of the tank.

I did some quick measuring.

The outlet of the tank is 7" above the rear portion of the front trunk (flat spot). The Oil Tank outlet is 12" above the ground.

The Oil infeed (below the engine mounted oil cooler is 10" above the ground. So the oil Tank outlet is higher than the engine suction port. I had not known this before. Our car has about 1/2" rake (front jack tits lower than rear jack tits).

I am glad I measured this as I am installing a front tank in my street car and this will simply add to peace of mind....
John
Forgot the pic....
Jeroen
thanks again!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.