Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: pinion shaft
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toon1
I found a chipped tooth on the pinion gear. I have a TS tranny that might have a good one(haven't checked). Is it possible to swap, restack the gears and use? confused24.gif
bondo
the pinion and ring gears are matched. And then they are shimmed specifically to the case. The easiest thing to do is use the tailshift case and transfer everything you need from the other trans to make it good. Keep the case, differential, ring gear, pinion shaft, intermediate plate, shims and gasket thicknesses from one trans. Mix and match everything else to get it all how you want it. (but keep the meshed gears matched)
Cap'n Krusty
You can transfer the SS components to the TS tranny. You REALLY don't want to mess with the R&P without the proper tools and knowledge. The Cap'n
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 21 2005, 07:26 PM)
You can transfer the SS components to the TS tranny. You REALLY don't want to mess with the R&P without the proper tools and knowledge. The Cap'n

agree.gif with krusty one and bondo...

R/P case are all matched.

put the sideshift tailcone, linkage etc on to the TS tranny.

toon1
The TS tranny case is not in the greatest of shape and wouldn't trust using it. Other than the P gear in the SS, from what I can tell, everything else looks ok. The doen't seem to be any real bad wear.
If the P gear is in good shape on the TS, can it be fitted to the SS tranny?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (toon1 @ Dec 21 2005, 08:28 PM)
The TS tranny case is not in the  greatest of shape and wouldn't trust using it. Other than the P gear in the SS, from what I can tell, everything else looks ok. The doen't seem to be any real bad wear.  

NO

the RING gear is MATCHED to the pinion gear.

your better off using the MATCHED r/p from the TS tranny..... and building it up... or transferring your SS gears and guts to the tailshifter CASE, matched R/P, and using the SS linkage and tail cone.....

AA
toon1
So if I take the entire P assembly out of the TS replace the parts that are needed(syncros etc.), can that be fitted to the SS case? biggrin.gif Sorry for all the questions.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (toon1 @ Dec 21 2005, 08:53 PM)
So if I take the entire P assembly out of the TS replace the parts that are needed(syncros etc.), can that be fitted to the SS case? biggrin.gif Sorry for all the questions.

why use the Sideshifter case?

use the tail shifter:
CASE
Matched RING
matched PINION
matched INtermediate plate and associated gaskitshims (sets pinion depth)

and you can use the TS gears synchros etc... (if you want), or you can put all your matched SS gears onto the drive and layshafts of the TS box.

that should sum it all up.

AA
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (toon1 @ Dec 21 2005, 07:28 PM)
The TS tranny case is not in the greatest of shape and wouldn't trust using it. Other than the P gear in the SS, from what I can tell, everything else looks ok. The doen't seem to be any real bad wear.

What did I say?

"You can transfer the SS components to the TS tranny. You REALLY don't want to mess with the R&P without the proper tools and knowledge."

What part of that don't you understand? If you take the R&P out of the SS tranny, you'll need to have it set up all over again, and you're NOT, being a CSOB like the rest of us, gonna like what the tranny guy (if you can find one who knows what he's doing) says when he hands you the bill. "There, it's done. That'll be a whole buncha money."

The Cap'n
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 21 2005, 10:43 PM)
QUOTE (toon1 @ Dec 21 2005, 07:28 PM)
The TS tranny case is not in the  greatest of shape and wouldn't trust using it. Other than the P gear in the SS, from what I can tell, everything else looks ok. The doen't seem to be any real bad wear.  

What did I say?

"You can transfer the SS components to the TS tranny. You REALLY don't want to mess with the R&P without the proper tools and knowledge."

What part of that don't you understand? If you take the R&P out of the SS tranny, you'll need to have it set up all over again, and you're NOT, being a CSOB like the rest of us, gonna like what the tranny guy (if you can find one who knows what he's doing) says when he hands you the bill. "There, it's done. That'll be a whole buncha money."

The Cap'n

gotta agree.gif

i was quoted 4 hrs at 80-90/hr to set up a r/p
ClayPerrine
I spent over 600.00 on Evilbay over about 4 years just to locate and buy the special tools to setup the ring and pinion in a 901 Porsche box. But they would have done me no good if I didn't have lots of experience in setting up differentials in the past.

This is NOT something you want to tackle without someone with the proper tools and experience backing you up. Follow the advisc of the pros, Keep the ring gear, the pinion gear, the case, and the intermediate plate as a matched set.

The proper way to do this, simplified.

From the side shifter with the broken pinion gear....

Remove all the gears, syncros, and shift rods, side shifter console, and the tail cone and set them aside.

From the tail shifter....

Remove everything but the case, differental, the pinion gear (make sure you save the spacers that come with the pinion gear... it is a critical dimention), and the intermediate plate.

Reassembly.....

Start with the tail shifter case. Make sure that the differential is reinstalled exactly like it came out.

Put the tail shifter intermediate plate together with the tail shifter pinion gear with it's spacers, and the gears from the side shifter trans.

Put the shift rods from the side shifter into the tail shifter intermediate plate.

Put the assembled gear stack into the tail shifter case, using the proper thickness paper gasket.

Put the tail housing from the side shifter onto the tail shifter intermediate plate.

Put the side shifter console in the trans.

Now comes the hard part.... you get to pull the transmission about a dozen times to readjust the shift rods.

My honest opionion... get the Cap'n or Redbeard, or myself or one of the other experienced tranny guys on the board to build the tranny for you. If that guy is local, I am sure that they would let you come watch.

I don't charge labor to do this, but my standard fee is that I get to keep any leftover parts from turning 2 trannys into one.

I am in Texas, and I retired from day to day mechanic work years ago. So if you want me to fix your tranny, you have to ship the 2 trannys here and wait for 6 to 8 weeks for me to find time to work on it.

I would suggest the Cap'n. He knows how to do this with his eyes closed. And he is somewhat local to youo.
brant
another option to consider is to buy another tranny.
Perhaps buy a good used one, or one that someone else has had rebuilt.

Or, if you REALLY don't like the appearance of the tail shifter box, then perhaps have it walnut/bead blasted to look nicer?

I would think that the $ to use your side shifter and have it CORRECTLY set for ring and pinion lash would be around $500 (but I'm not a shop and in no way want to present that I know current shop rates)

plus, while your already in there you may find a bearing has gone bad or the slider is not worth re-using.... could easily add up to another 300 worth of incidentals quick like.

brant
toon1
Hi guy's, thanks for the reply's and sorry for the missunderstanding.when I was asking about using the TS pinion swap, I didn't clarify that I would have a pro do it. There is supposed to be a real good shop in Modesto, Mark's transaxles.

I never doubted any of the reply's, I alway's get good advice here. I just didn't quite understand. Thank's again guy's
toon1
Hey Brant, I am starting to think that is the best option. I might be able to find a core cheap and make it work. The internals of my SS look real good, other than the pinion. There didn't seem to be an excessive amount of metal fines in the gear box, just the broken piece from the pinion.

That pinion would make me suspect other things but it all seems to look good.
brant
from time to time, good trannys with some history of a rebuild will pass along from 300-500 ish.

toon1
Hey guy's, I think I found a SS for $150 with my other two as cores.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (toon1 @ Dec 22 2005, 08:50 AM)
Hi guy's, thanks for the reply's and sorry for the missunderstanding.when I was asking about using the TS pinion swap, I didn't clarify that I would have a pro do it. There is supposed to be a real good shop in Modesto, Mark's transaxles.

I never doubted any of the reply's, I alway's get good advice here. I just didn't quite understand. Thank's again guy's

If you're gonna use that local guy, BE ABSOLUTELY SURE he has substantial Porsche experience. This is NOT a VW, and the tools and techniques are different. The Cap'n
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 22 2005, 11:28 AM)
QUOTE (toon1 @ Dec 22 2005, 08:50 AM)

If you're gonna use that local guy, BE ABSOLUTELY SURE he has substantial Porsche experience. This is NOT a VW, and the tools and techniques are different. The Cap'n

IIRC VW cases shim the ring gear in and out...

where porsche 901's are shimmed in and out, and the pinion gear is shimmed in and out of the ring gear... (depth)
toon1
He does nothing but transaxles, Porsche and VW. He was recommended by all the porsche guy's in the area. I just got home from his shop, picked up a SS tranny for $150, gave him the TS and kept my SS for parts. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.