Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Renegade AC/heat system
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
I'm curious how the renegade heat/ac system looks, what mods it takes to fit, and how well it works. Does it still have defrost functionality? What about fresh air? Is it worth the $$$?

I'd be using it in my LT1 conversion.. The compressor and condenser are taken care of already, I just need to figure out the evaporator and heat.
Crazyhippy
there are 2 options, one is the underdash setup, it looks like the factory ac did... not so hot.

then there's the behind the dash set up. It takes ALOT of work to install, you lose the glove box, But it works well. No fresh air, and defrost is always running (the fan put out enough volume that it's fine)

To install, you have to remove the dash, cut into the firewall, build an extended section of firewall, bolt it in, run wires and hoses, re-install dash. Piece of cake.

BJH aktion035.gif
bd1308
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

bondo
QUOTE (Crazyhippy @ Dec 22 2005, 01:34 PM)
there are 2 options, one is the underdash setup, it looks like the factory ac did... not so hot.

then there's the behind the dash set up. It takes ALOT of work to install, you lose the glove box, But it works well. No fresh air, and defrost is always running (the fan put out enough volume that it's fine)

To install, you have to remove the dash, cut into the firewall, build an extended section of firewall, bolt it in, run wires and hoses, re-install dash. Piece of cake.

BJH aktion035.gif

The in-dash setup sounds like what I want.. does the AC just come out on the side vents? Is that enough? I don't like the idea of losing the glovebox, so I may look into developing my own solution. I'd like to keep fresh air functionality, but I won't be heartbroken if I lose it.
nine14cats
I have the RH AC/Heat under dash unit that I haven't hooked up yet. Should have it in during the coming 3 months. It does look kinda of "vintage" cluged...but so does the whole V8 thing. What I like is I can keep the stock fresh air assembly up front.

One thing to look at is Desert Hybrids' way of doing the heat and AC. I believe they used quite a bit of the existing plumbing and heater/vent controls to make their's work. Maybe Guy T. can chime in here.

Bill P.
Crazyhippy
QUOTE (bondo @ Dec 22 2005, 12:49 PM)
The in-dash setup sounds like what I want.. does the AC just come out on the side vents? Is that enough? I don't like the idea of losing the glovebox, so I may look into developing my own solution. I'd like to keep fresh air functionality, but I won't be heartbroken if I lose it.

Side vents and defrost ducts... it will make a teen cabin down right COLD.

I understand wanting to keep the glove box, but you are attempting to hide a good sized piece of hardware, in a car w/ NO room. screwy.gif

I haven't ever seen the desert Hybrids kit, but i haven't been impressed w/ their other products... They seem to be as capable of reverse engineering someone elses product as the chineese headbang.gif

Just my .02
BJH
BIGKAT_83
Bondo................ I've seen a AC/heat underdash unit that came from Renegade. The one I saw was made by or labeled as a econo cooler. You can get these at all of the Hot Rod swap meets. They usually run about $180 to $200 for the underdash unit with AC/ Heat and defrost.
Thats the way I'm going with my new car using the stock chevy compressor in the stock location.

biggrin.gif Bob biggrin.gif
McMark
Royce, I'm working on a AC setup that will keep all stock functionality and only take a couple hours to install. The prototype will be done next month. wink.gif
Allan
QUOTE (McMark @ Dec 22 2005, 04:10 PM)
Royce, I'm working on a AC setup that will keep all stock functionality and only take a couple hours to install. The prototype will be done next month. wink.gif

Will it work with a /6?
Aaron Cox
AC is for pansies.... or people who have extra HP to give away... tongue.gif
McMark
QUOTE (Headrage @ Dec 22 2005, 04:11 PM)
QUOTE (McMark @ Dec 22 2005, 04:10 PM)
Royce, I'm working on a AC setup that will keep all stock functionality and only take a couple hours to install.  The prototype will be done next month.  ;)

Will it work with a /6?

It's pretty much only for sixes. They are the only ones that come with a stock compressor mount. My piece is just an evaporator setup. That's the hardest part. Everything else is cake.
bondo
QUOTE (McMark @ Dec 22 2005, 05:10 PM)

Cool, will it have room to add a heater core? smile.gif
bondo
QUOTE (BIGKAT_83 @ Dec 22 2005, 04:51 PM)
Bondo................ I've seen a AC/heat underdash unit that came from Renegade. The one I saw was made by or labeled as a econo cooler. You can get these at all of the Hot Rod swap meets. They usually run about $180 to $200 for the underdash unit with AC/ Heat and defrost.
Thats the way I'm going with my new car using the stock chevy compressor in the stock location.

biggrin.gif Bob biggrin.gif

I've heard that renegade takes off the shelf hot rod units and does some "secret modifications" to make them work better in a 914.. Any idea what those modifications might be? smile.gif
McMark
QUOTE (bondo @ Dec 22 2005, 05:12 PM)
QUOTE (McMark @ Dec 22 2005, 05:10 PM)
Royce, I'm working on a AC setup that will keep all stock functionality and only take a couple hours to install.  The prototype will be done next month.  ;)

Cool, will it have room to add a heater core? smile.gif

Nope. But I'm kinda anti-water anyway. lol2.gif
I would look into locating a heater core in the engine bay if I were a water person.
bd1308
or a heater core for oil?

wink.gif

b
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE (bondo @ Dec 22 2005, 09:14 PM)
[I've heard that renegade takes off the shelf hot rod units and does some "secret modifications" to make them work better in a 914.. Any idea what those modifications might be? smile.gif

Maybe mark the price up.

The only tricky part for the underdash AC units is mounting a compressor on the engine.

laugh.gif Bob
Crazyhippy
QUOTE (bondo @ Dec 22 2005, 05:14 PM)
I've heard that renegade takes off the shelf hot rod units and does some "secret modifications" to make them work better in a 914.. Any idea what those modifications might be? smile.gif

yup biggrin.gif

And there is more than just marking the price up...

They designed and built a 914 specific box. What is 914 specific R&D worth?

BJH wink.gif
andys
I've talked with these guys a couple of times. Their underdash unit looks an awful lot like the original 914 option. http://www.hotrodair.com/pg2a.cfm

Andys
tyler
Forgetting about the A/C has anyone found a slick way to use the exhaust air from the radiator (conversions, of course) to heat the cabin? It seems like it there must be a way. I know cores are used but I prefer no joints whatsoever in the cooling lines.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.