Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Using a Rotissiere
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bartlett 914
Hi All.

Early next year I plan to put my 914 on a rotissiere for a floor pan and firewall repair. I hadn't planned on removing the front and rear suspension. Now that I plan on putting this on a rotissiere I think it may become necessary due to weight and balance. Does anyone have experience doing this with the suspension installed?

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to all.

Mark
McMark
The suspension weighs almost as much as the body. I'd never leave it on, but I'm sure there are people who would and people who have.
Allan
It seems pretty risky. Even if the body held up it seems that it would be a real pain trying to rotate the shell with all the weight at the bottom.
Bartlett 914
I guess I shouldn't be supprised. Off it goes! Thanks for the input.
John
If it was my car, I would not consider bolting it to a rotissorie with ANYTHING attached to the body. The largest item I want to put on it is the stripped down doors to check fit.

(Just my opinion)

I have one up on a rotissorie right now...
Marv's3.6six
Yup have experienced that one, susp has to come off for balance. Being setup for rot install
Marv's3.6six
on rot w/o suspension.
Marv's3.6six
Could not do this w/ susp attached.
mrdezyne
Is the windsheild heavy enough to make a difference? I wasn't planning on removing it if I didn't have to... or is it a fairly easy job to do?
Bartlett 914
Hey Merv.

In your pictures you have the 914 on ramps with one end of the rotisserie in position. Did you put the 914 on the rotisserie to remove the suspension prior to rotating or did you remove the suspension first?

Mark
Marv's3.6six
Once the car was attached to the rot the wheels, steering components, then susp was removed.
Bartlett 914
Thanks Marv.

That's is good to know that you can use the Rotissiere to hold the car up for suspension removal. That could save a lot of messing around.
Doug Leggins
Here is a couple of pics of the rotisserie that I have. The suspension was installed after the paintwork was complete. The suspension components add a lot of weight. It was much more difficult to rotate the car with the suspension installed. I only rotated the car, with the suspension installed, as required to aid in the suspension installation, and to get pics biggrin.gif . For any significant work on the chassis while on a rotisserie, I highly recommend removal of the suspension.
Doug Leggins
The rotisserie made many tasks much easier! Both the painter and I were able to save a lot of time and get better finished results due to the ability to better position the chassis.
guywan914
I would definately remove the suspension once it is on the rotissiere because it is extremely difficult to rotate. Also it will give you a good time to assess the suspension pieces, replace all the bushings, powder coat everything, add new springs, shocks,brakes,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc.......sorry just thinking of my car
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.