Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New welder, Cheapo Mig..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
Well we went to Harbor Freight and got some stuff today! One of them being a new Mig welder..

IPB Image

So being that I have been working on preping the rusty battery tray for surgery, we (me and dad) decided that It was a good Idea to practice.. So we got out the old doors from the cut up 73, and had a hay day! I did cut out a pannel from one of the doors to use for sheet metal for the surgery of the battery tray area.. So we take the welder out of the box, and have a little trouble with the simple instructions (oh well) and I spend 15 mins putting on the handle to the "screen" which I though was a piece of junk till I used it.. (you can see me using it in some of the pics)

IPB Image

We also got out our age old arc welder, which I used before and I got semi familiar with it last time and made some good welds..

IPB Image

So we got out the mig and tried it out, First impression, Piece of junk. I thought there was no way this thing would ever weld as good as the arc, all it did was make little bubbles!! headbang.gif

IPB Image

So I make a few holes, and hey, my weld held, kinda.. So as the day progressed, and I watched Dad (who wasnt doing any better than me with the mig) I noticed some things, practiced a little, tried to fill in some holes, ect..

IPB Image

I think I can do this now, and the mig actually will be able to suit my needs quite well, I had no problem filling in a 1 in hole..

IPB Image

After my dad did some reading on a body repair sight, he said some things that where mentioned on the sight and that was the turning point from bad, to good..

IPB Image

As you can see from the pics, I went from little bubbles to a solid uniform line, with solid connection on both sides..

IPB Image

And as you can see the welds hold..

IPB Image

Im happy, and I think I will be able to fix this rust area. Not bad for a days play! wink.gif

Andrew
ChrisFoley
It looks like you are using flux core wire. Things will improve greatly if you switch to solid wire with gas.
736convers
Must get gas.......will make you look like a pro.
seanery
I've never used flux core, but heard it makes slag! ACKKKKKK!!!

get some gas its much mo better!!
John Kelly
Hi Andyrew,

Good job so far. I'm with the other guys...gas is the only way to go. You will be able to see your weld more clearly. Be sure to wear gloves on both hands, and if you plan to weld a lot, your neck may get burned from the arc if you don't cover it. Some people hang a little piece of leather at the bottom of their hood to cover their neck. If you get a real welding hood, your weld will improve by using both hands. Steady the gun wih your left and trigger with your right. Your welds will look better right away. Practice small hot tacks joined together on sheet metal, long beads on heavier stuff. Try grinding down some of the welds to see how much the sheet metal has shrunk. A small fan blowing the smoke away, a fire extinguisher close by, and make sure no one is watching the arc. With the flux core, it might help to wire brush the weld before starting again. Good luck!

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
fiid
I have only used fluxcore, not GAS, but I hear it is worth the upgrade.

I notice from one of your pics you are sitting cross legged on the floor, welding. You should be aware that this leaves your socks exposed, I have burned myself numerous times doing this and it hurts like a bastard, so watch out! You might want to get some overalls.

The other thing that makes a huge quality difference for me is to really do a good job of cleaning every piece of metal of paint, etc before touching it with the welder.

Have fun. It's a great tool to have around!

Fiid.
Rusty
Gas... the only way to fly. It'll make your life, and welding, much easier.

-Rusty smoke.gif
dan10101
We appreciate everyones suggestions. However, we're stuck with this one for a while. It cost about the same as renting a good mig for the weekend, and from what I can see so far, it will get the job done.

We did have some fun yesterday. Found out the Arc welder can do a good impersination of a cutting torch, might come in handy someday.

Anyone need a battery box welded to the outside of their door? We work cheap! That was probably the best weld of the day. Rusted old battery tray to the support beams in the door. Solid as a rock, probably have to cut it off of there to be able to throw it away.

Thanks for the welding tips. I'd love to hear more... Surface prep, technique, grinding tips, finish prep.

Here is a close up of a good weld. Any further critique/suggestions?

Lastly, yes we get the point, gas is good...
Andyrew
John, Thanks for all the tips, I will use all of those when I am welding next time..

Fidd, Yes, I did burn my socks a few times.. but I figured out that sitting on a box was better than crosslegged...

Thanks all!

Andrew
airsix
Can't tell from the pictures how much surface prep you did, but paint looks like it runs right up to the welds. Did you grind back the area to be welded so you were on clean bare metal? Roughing it up with a sander or wire wheel so you can see a little bare medal doesn't cut it. You want nice shiny bare metal with all the paint/oil/etc removed. You'll be amazed at the difference. If the surface has been exposed to grease or oil use a solvent to clean it first.
-Ben M.
Andyrew
Airsix, Yes I did grind down so I had bare metal on both sides for a good connection..
Andyrew
Heres some an interesting shot through one of the helmets..
Andyrew
Nother.
Andyrew
cool action shot..
Andyrew
last one.
biosurfer1
hey Andyrew...

i read this post and the first thing that caught my eye was Harbor Freight, and then i realized you were right next to me, i live in stockton. i'm heading over to santa cruz to take a look at and 914, seems promising, and if i get it, we'll have to get together doing bodywork...as for the welding, I go to sac state for engineering and they have an intro class there, ME 37, which teaches you and lets you use all types of welders, a lot of fun, plus, after the class is over, you can use the welders whenever you want, something to think about...talk to you later.
Bleyseng
A good helmet (auto tinting) and using argon gas will improve your welds tremendously. Also i cant tell if you are grinding the paint off where your welding on the door, Prep prep and more prep and you will get better results. also using the auto tinting helmet helps alot cause you can use both your hands, so you can guide it better and control the frow.
aktion035.gif
fiid
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 24 2003, 07:16 AM)

Fidd, Yes, I did burn my socks a few times.. but I figured out that sitting on a box was better than crosslegged...

I'm to fat to sit on a box. They collapse under me. I keep meaning to by one of those Kragen rolly seats with a tool tray built in for that job.

Fiid.
fiid
Oh yeah.

You might want to make sure that the weld light isn't harmful to the CCD on your digital camera (if you are using digital). I know they can be damaged by sunlight. Just something to watch out for.

Fiid.
dan10101
I thought about the camera thing too. After we took the shots. So, that's all for super exposure shots. (Camera seems ok). Thank goodness for extended warrantees. cool.gif

(the box was full of hard foam, even I sat on it)

Biosurfer, good luck on the car. I know of a couple projects in Manteca if you're interested. Cheap and a couple truckloads of parts...

DanD
biosurfer1
it would depend on what you mean by "projects" the body being in good condition is a must. i already have another engine i'll be putting in, so the engine doesnt have to be great, although it would be nice to have one that will run until January...let me know if you hear of something.
dan10101
When I say projects, I mean, You wont have a nice running teener for a year or two.. That kind of projects! ohmy.gif

The cars would be better suited for strictly race cars, but mainly parts cars..

If thats the ball game your into, then thats what it is.. but if you want a 914 to drive, go get the best one you can buy!

Andyrew (not dan10101, too lazy to swich computers, or id's..)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.