Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone have luck using a motorcyle jack?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
groot
Since I seem to pull my powertrain every other weekend during the race season, I'm looking into easier ways to get the powertrain out from under the car.

I know some use an attachment on their jack... a cradle of sorts.

Are there who have had success with a motorcycle jack?

Like this?Motorcyle jack

Feedback, good or bad is appreciated. Thanks.
wertygrog
smilie_pokal.gif
I helped pull a 4 cyl engine from a Toyota Mr-2 last night with one of those. It worked great! The wide top holds the motor well around the tranny, and you get very good up/down control w/ seperate pedals. clap.gif

brent
Markeydoo
I used a raised table that I got from Pep Boys. I tried the motorcycle jack but it would not get up high enough.
Tettster
A motorcycle jack was used to help drop Shaggy's engine recently (it was Greg Robbin's motorcycle jack, so he might have more input than I do), and I thought that it worked great.

It was especially useful when moving the 1.7 engine around in the garage with only one person, assuming it was balanced correctly.

user posted image
Jeffs9146
I used one when I took out my 6. It worked ok but you couldn't lower it all of the way down because the trany would hit the jack portion.

It didn't go high enough so once I unbolted everything I raised the car up another 6" so I could pull it out!

I was able to reinstall the motor by my self though!
Porsche Rescue
This is JP Steins rig used for a six. He built a custom cradle of wood. If you reverse the jack so the levers for "jacking" are to the front of the car they do not interfere with the tranny. This is an ATV jack, available for under $60 at Harbor Freight or Schucks. I have used for a four also.
Jeffs9146
If you reverse the jack so the levers for "jacking" are to the front of the car they do not interfere with the tranny.

Yes but I didn't have enough room to work the jack backwords!

Aaron Cox
someone posted a moto jack where it jacked like a regular floor jack. the handle could lay flat.....
i *THINK* it was spare time toys....
JoeSharp
Santa just gave me the sears jack. I use a large (6 ton) jack with an A frame that I welded up that swivles and piviots. I'm going to put the A frame on the Craftsman for an engine and tranny jack.
JoeSharp
The new jack
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Joe Sharp @ Dec 23 2005, 01:06 PM)
The new jack

schnazzy!
Porsche Rescue
I would never R&R the drivetrain with only the rear in the air. It is much easier, and likely safer, with the front on stands as well.
andys
Kevin,

I'll be looking to make up something to ease repeated installations and removals for my conversion project much like in your situation. That MC jack you are considering, is hampered by the raised section where the bottle jack is vertically positioned. The problem we face, is having something that has a low enough profile to keep from having to have to jack the car up so high, and that extends to a reasonable height. Karagen Auto runs a weekly ad for a MC jack that has a flat profile, but I soon found out that the picture has a small print disclaimer that says the item pictured may vary from the actual product which ends up being like the one you posted the link for. ..Damned!

I've decided to make one from an in-expensive floor jack by employing a parallelogram type linkage with a platform and brackets designed specifically to fit the trans and motormount bar. I've made similar jacks that had a flat profile and would lift to a height of 36". It's not very difficult to make; just be sure to make the base or the wheels wide enough to provide stability. The jack doesn't need to be very large, since we're only going to be lifting 500lbs or so.

Andy
Mueller
do any of these jacks go straight up and down?

I find using the floor jack to be a PITA due to the pad moving forward relative to the base....
jflash914
Wasn't there a guy who made and sold an adapter to mount on a standard floor jack that would cradle a 911 engine??
groot
Lots of insight and options. Thanks, guys.
jflash914
This is the adapter I have seen in the past.
GaroldShaffer
Kevin check this LINK out. They have this engine support for floor jacks. Maybe it can be used on a type IV?

bd1308
that one adaptor looks like a large shoe measuring device thing......

smile.gif

cool

b
Type 4 Unleashed
This is what I use, to pull motors, it even doubles as a tranny jack, happy11.gif chevy, ford, pickups, (since it is a tranny jack), it raises quit high, 4 corner casters, will rotate 360% on a dime, the jack plate has adjustable tilt, forward or back, the second pic, was a quick rig, it holds the tranny up.,
Type 4 Unleashed
No. 2
Dr. Roger
oh yea', 4 casters would be best. and a fair sized landing strip to sit your engine on.

i used a piece of plywood and some careful balancing.
The front was the motorcycle jack and the transaxle was lifted by floor jack.

it went in like a glove.

a steel riveted, kung-fu-grip glove....

hey, it was my very first time putting any engine in a 914.... biggrin.gif

user posted image
spare time toys
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 23 2005, 02:57 PM)
someone posted a moto jack where it jacked like a regular floor jack. the handle could lay flat.....

Yep it was me. Do a search for "the perfict gift" under my name and it should show up. I also use the lift to raise one side of my car to get it up on the work dolly.
3liter914-6
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Dec 24 2005, 08:10 AM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 23 2005, 02:57 PM)

Yep it was me. Do a search for "the perfict gift" under my name and it should show up. I also use the lift to raise one side of my car to get it up on the work dolly.

Yeah, the Sears Craftsman Professional ATV/MC jack lays flat. I just bought one this week to do the R&R on my brothers 914. With the front of the engine hanging off the jack a little, and a few chucks of wood to keep the tranny balanced it was really stable and really easy to position.
It's spendy at $169 (I got it on Sunday for $149, I think it goes on sale like that from time to time), but well worth it. All aluminum, so it weighs only 44lbs.
user posted image
user posted image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.