Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rebuilt retractable seat belt source?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jay
Anyone know of a shop that will rebuild the retractable seatbelts from a 1974 914? After 32 years the belts are pretty tired.....

thanks!
dmenche914
Boy thats a tough one, many shops won't work on old seat belts because of liability issues. Actually old seat belts should ideally be replaced after so many years, the claim is the webbing degrades over time and wont have the same stretch in an accident, and hence may fail. Since our cars are 30 plus years old, it is an issue.

You might try rebuilding yourself, or buying an aftermarket belt (i don't know the source but have heard of that being done.) Frankly I have ditched the retracting belts in my 914 for the older style non -retracting type. No danger of the retract mechanism not working, and like to cinch down the belt, feels more secure (and probably really is) Note that the original belts had a date on the tag (tag may be missing) Again it is for safety, old belts should be replaced, but I know of few folks that do this.

good luck
SirAndy
has anybody ever tried to order a replacement from Porsche?

i'd be surprised if they didn't have them in stock still ...
idea.gif Andy
Marlow
I agree with the liability issues. If you decide to rebuild them yourself beware, the coil spring in them will explode when you remove the cover. You've got to be really careful when disassembling these (ask me how I know?). Where eye and hand protection - the edges of the springs can be sharp. Takes hours to rewind the spring if it 'pops' on you.

I've heard of several people using 944 belts as replacements. Needs a little modification to the mounting points but it's been done.
Carlitos Way
There is an advertiser on Excellence Mag. I have never used them, but here is a link to their web page: Seat Belts

Good luck!
SirAndy
QUOTE (dmenche914 @ Dec 23 2005, 03:36 PM)
Frankly I have ditched the retracting belts in my 914 for the older style non -retracting type. No danger of the retract mechanism not working, and like to cinch down the belt, feels more secure (and probably really is)

who would have thought i'd ever agree with you on something! wacko.gif

early style seatbelts all the way for me as well ...
cool.gif Andy
dmenche914
guess we can agree on 914 stuff, the other stuff is just not as important as 914 stuff right?

Cheers.
sk8kat1
called porsche dealer -- no go on the part being available

I need them too .. my belts are pretty much for show at this point
Dave_Darling
I used http://www.peparts.com ones on my attorney's SC. We're both happy with them so far (1 yr+).

--DD
double-a
Pep Parts

agree.gif

those guys seem to have a good product. i'm having mine redone in mid-january, when they're back in the office.

edit: i am ordering product #KT100X. they keep your stock male connnector, d-ring and chrome loop as well, though i'm opting for an updated, smoother d-ring myself.

~a
greg.treadway
PEP make a good product for sure.
Jay
I like the idea of the non-retractable belts. Adds lightness, too....

Aaron- did you get a cost estimate from PEP before they went on vacation?
double-a
QUOTE (Jay @ Dec 23 2005, 04:04 PM)
Aaron- did you get a cost estimate from PEP before they went on vacation?

yes, i was quoted $149 per belt, approx $300 for both. looks like their site is down for refurb.

~a
blitZ
I replaced mine with some 944 seatbelts and they work great. Posted a WTB on the 944 section of the Pelican forum. Set me back $40.
jd74914
QUOTE (blitZ @ Dec 23 2005, 07:22 PM)
I replaced mine with some 944 seatbelts and they work great. Posted a WTB on the 944 section of the Pelican forum. Set me back $40.

do you have a pciture of your setup? I'm just curious as to how the belts were mounted and the change between stock and the 944 stuff cool.gif
blitZ
The reel mounts behind the back pad, so hard to take a picture. The configuration of the belts are exactly the same. The little post which sticks into the back wall is a tad larger, short work with a drill resolved that. I used my old hardware, bolts, washers, etc. The 944 belts do not have the wire guide piece, however I left it off and they retract very well.
jd74914
I see now. thanks dor the explanation
sk8kat1
any particular year of 944...
blitZ
Mine came from 87-88 model as I recall, not sure if it matters.
sk8kat1
if you get the retractable belt part from a 87-88 944 does the 944 belt plate fit the 914 part that you insert the belt plate into .... WOW does it show that I am at a loss for words about these part names ... blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.