Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT, Need a new career!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Thorshammer

So,

Exactly why I asked for legal advice on employment has proven to be true. I am looking for a new position.

I have friends in the Medical device and spine implant sales arena. They only want to tell me their stuff is the best. Questions I have is this:

1. What is the best way to break into this field?
2. Who are the hacks to stay away from?
3. What to look for in a new position with these companies.
4. If you are working in the field, would you do it again?

Thanks,

Erik Madsen

PS: there may be bids on the second place EP car if I can't find something??? dry.gif

IVGUY
Erik
Here my .02 worth
I have been working in the medical device field for 20 years. Its a great gig for me. I get to travel a bit and see some beautiful country and I even take my 914 if I dont need my fly rods and float boat.Oh yeah back to the work part.

1. What is the best way to break into this field?

Up here in Canada the Headhunters (placement firms) are the best ally to have or if you can skip past them with referrals from existing reps you may be able to meet directly with the sales manager and save him the agency search fees

2. Who are the hacks to stay away from?
Try to stay with an established company
The smaller specialrt companies work best for guys who already have realationships within the industry.
3. What to look for in a new position with these companies.
Ask for a 2 year guarantee and then the usual company car, X weeks vacation and all the other top benefits(medical,dental,pension etc) Most companies use a base salary plus commission or bonus's for compensation however some device companies are still straight commission and you are on your own as a agent . I have known some guys that tried that and didnt last but for the few who did they are now rolling in the coin. If you have some other means of support for a few years it is worth considering depending on what your selling because eventually whatever you have becomes a commodity and then every one has it and you arent exclusive anymore.
4. If you are working in the field, would you do it again?
Yes Yes I still continue to earn more every year and I have a LOTTA fun doing it. It gives me alot of freedom but I also work my butt off for months on end. I love it and find it very rewarding Have to close now Taking the family to Puerto Vallarta for Christmas back Jan 2. Life is good Oh yeah I could have driven the teener today (just like the texas guys) as it was mid 50's but I need the extra room for Christmas stuff!
Merry Christmas
campbellcj
I know nothing about that biz other than that the father of a friend was the founder of MiniMed...and he's on the Forbes 400 list so I 'spose there's some money to be had in that market if you know what you're doing and have the right connections.
Dead Air
A friend of ours sells valves for Med tronic.
andys
QUOTE (campbellcj @ Dec 23 2005, 06:06 PM)
I know nothing about that biz other than that the father of a friend was the founder of MiniMed...and he's on the Forbes 400 list so I 'spose there's some money to be had in that market if you know what you're doing and have the right connections.

Chris,

That would be Al Mann. I started with, and still am with one of the many Mann companies after 27 years. I also did a lot of engineering work on the first product (insulin pump) developed for MiniMed before Al formed that company.

Erik,

I would agree that getting with a solid company is good advice, but there could also be great rewards with smaller well managed companies with a technology edge that could grow very nicely. If you have little or no previous medical device sales experience, then perhaps a foot-in-the-door semi entry level position could be temporarily considered. FWIW however, a good sales person that has that special gift can sell anything successfully, and will immediately be recognized by his management. I don't have those kinds of people skills, which is why I'm in engineering.

Andys
Katmanken
I worked in engineereing at a J&J Medical devices company for 14 years. Every year they would haul a new load of sales reps in and run them through training.... The next year, the new batch... The overall number of reps didn't change.....

Bottom line- cutthroat- Make yer quota and yer ok. Don't and yer out. Get a plum assignment and yer good.

Go to Medzilla job search. There are a lotta medical device sales forums there and comments about medical device companies.

Hope that helps. Sales is just not something I would do.

Ken
r_towle
From what I have been told, there is a very long sales cycle.

Therefore, make sure you get a good sales plan walking in.

It will take you at least 6 months to learn the products and start establishing some relationships, this is true relationship selling that take a much less aggressive selling style.

Look for at least a year guarantee, so you have the time it takes to get traction...6months to learn the business and products, and six months for the sales cycle....that is a fair number....

Saying that, I would expect to sell something within the first 6 months...but dont count on it...

rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.