Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Driving Yesteday...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
Speed is seductive, especially in a 914. I had been driving several hours, cruising between 85 and 105. Clear blue sky, nice reading on the temp gauge, my Diet Coke in a cooler, sweet crisp sound of the /6 behind my head. cool.gif

After a while, it just doesn't seem that fast, ya know? blink.gif

At the time, I was going 95-100 on the freeway. The road wasn't the greatest in my lane, so I decided to move over. MDB2.gif

OMG! I felt like I was on the SS Minnow. The car was tilting back and forth, and I almost put it sideways into a concrete retaining wall. The only thought in my mind was... "oh shit - another factory /6 in the graveyard." ohmy.gif

Both hands gripping the Momo steering wheel with white knuckles, I pointed in one direction and increased speed (for just a moment that felt like 2-3 minutes) until the car stopped rocking... then I slowed down and made my lane change. w00t.gif

I *really* need to get that front sway bar hooked up today. beer3.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
tryan
glad you held on and kept it under control. i hate it when cars track sideways on uneven pavement. it must have been the diet coke.

we have a new 'enhanced traffic enforcement' zone. i will have to drill holes in my right foot until the court date comes and my probation is over.
Carl
The car was tilting back and forth, and I almost put it sideways into a concrete retaining wall.

There was a moment like that with mine during one of the first times I'd driven it. Here in San Jose is a freeway interchange with a downhill, right-had sweeper, slight banking and a bump in the pavement half way through. I wasn't going all that fast, ~60, but the mid-turn wave in the asphalt set up an oscillation in the car that definitely increased the pucker-factor. The front bar and stiffer rear springs solved that problem.

Carl
redshift
Right hand sweeper onto 278 into Hilton Head, 80 is good, but that camber change makes the oversteer somewhat unpredictable if you don't hit the apex on the mark..

-smile with a missing tooth, weeds in hair-

M
scotty
Good instinct: accelerating to slow the gyrations. check your rear tire pressures...mine did that to me and I found a screw/slow leak in my right rear that caused a similar problem for me at 80mph. Damn scary...glad you made it!

Now I check my tire pressures every time I go out of the garage! wink.gif
airsix
Wow. I am shocked and amazed that anyone could... drive a 914 without a front swaybar!!!!!

I'd been driving 914's for 10 years before I had the opportunity to drive one without a swaybar. It was terrible. Anytime anyone asks "What is the single best upgrade?", or "What should be my first modificaiton?" I say swaybar. Without question. No doubts. Absolutely.

Get the bar, man!!! cool.gif

-Ben M.

ps - glad you're ok.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.