Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need some help with starting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lincoln
well we just got back from thousand oaks with a nice little baby blue 914 1.8

hooked up a battery and fuel pump starts but so far we are unable to get it to turn over like the previous owner says it will- he said something about a fuse maybe being blown- well all we have here tonight was mopar folk and neither of us knows a thing about these german wonders

car needs some work but im pretty confidant its all work i can do myself
now, anyone wanna swing by and see if they can help us get her started?

lets see if we can get a pic of it here
echocanyons
Where are you at?

I may be able to come over
echocanyons
When do you want to check it out?

Luke you readin this?
lincoln
no real plans for tomorrow- i SOO wanna get her going - this car is basically a dream i had 26 years ago that im finally realizing - call fresno CA home and phone is 559-225-1137

address is 202 w dakota ave ( garden square apts - we are in the way back) - just look for the only porsche heheh - ima probly head outside right now cuz i foolishly locked her up and the lock mech is sticky so im locked out lol:)
sj914
Congrats.

As for it not turning over, a couple things you might want to check.

Starter
Seat Belt relay under the passenger seat.
ignition switch.
wiring (Thick yellow wire that goes from the starter to the relay board).

One way that worked for me to see if the starter atleast worked was to jumper the solenoid to 12v. jerry rig or get fancy and use a remote starter.
lincoln
yea unlocked it- need to lube and adjust lock linkages i think- saw an unpluged line under drivers seat that i think goes to the seatbelt interlock - will probly have better luck tomorrow when its light out

was sposed to be all operational electtrics but so far pass turn signal is out and pass h light is out

blaupunkt stereo works- only one channel tho- pass side only- could be blown speaker tho or the eq

lectric antennae works nice tho
both headlights flip into position well
sj914
I found that the door lock latch works much better if you take it out of the door and clean all the 30yr old gunk off of it.
lincoln
yea heheh already have that planned- no WAY i wanna leave her unlocked if i dont have to- did put a club on it tho so hopefully that will be ok til i can get door locks working nicely and probly an alarm- is that or chain her to the carport pole
lincoln
looks to be some very minor surface rust or at least rust like stains in the floorboards- no real rust there tho - will be getting a good cleaning followed by a coat of good ol POR 15 for good measure

pass side jack tube thing is well, i can pull it out of the rocker and both rocker panels need repaired- not sure the extent of that yet - too dark out- do i really need the jack points on this? cuz if not id rather just repair the entire rocker area with them removed. form this point on it will never see lifting at that area of car - floor jack or lift will always be used from here on, and i dont see that id need these anymore

some minor rust on hood - sandable to remove- couple small spots of rot that will be removed and repaired with clean steel- seals on targa top need replaced along with a windshield cuz its got a crack along the pass side lower and the glued on RV mirror looks like it maybe added some damage to window also targa latches might need replaced also

trunk seals look ok but LOD (light of day)will show those better. doors open and close solidly
rear trunk hinges look like they need re-welded ( good thing im a welder /fabricator by trade eh?)front trunk has light dusting of rust stains which will also be fully repaired all in all no rot in either
battery tray is in great shape- not rusted out - probly because the plastic cover that goes on the engine cover is still attached

car was kept non opped since about 2000 from what reg shows- title is already in my name and on its way from sacremento fees all paid - just figure is better to go thru a few things like brakes and stuff and start her up before we take her back to full duty

oh yea - on the fuse block thing in the engine well it looks like a few relays might be missing- open spots that look like relays go there- nothing to compare to tho so not sure
campbellcj
Bummer, not that I am a master mechanic by any stretch, but am very close to TO and we could've looked 'er over and tried to get 'er going before you hit the road!

In terms of starting, I have no experience with L-Jet (1.8's) but there may be a fuel pump relay missing, burn out, or loose... (???) BTDT with D-Jet FI.

lincoln
yea woulda been cool - always good to meet folks like minded eh?
its getting power TO the starter , but mopar experience tells me the power that goes to the ignition relay or starter relay isnt there cuz turn the key doesnt even get a click to the starter - previous owner just installed a new starter on it too- all shiny and purdy:)

anyways its got a single carb ( for now anyways) so not an FI issue , but like i said it looks like there are a couple relays mising , but felt bottomside of the fuseblock thing and it didnt seem like anything was connected to that area, again , LOD will show better and i figure ill probly have a LOT of help once everyone i know HAS to come over and look her over as well

now. on to the rules of parlay so to speak. what set in stone rules am i going to be looking forward to now that im a porsche owner?no more runs for the border ?
will i need to get all monogramed clothing and learn german names for everything?
will i need to change my name to Biff or Thornton or something? cuz ill do it, but ive gotten pretty used to Lincoln over the last 41 years heheh
LukeD
I am game to help out. I live less than a mile from you. Problems like this seem to be my specialty. LOL

The relay baord on the drivers side engine comparment serves a very important role in starting and running the engine. While I have never owned a 1.8 and you seem to be running a carb, I am confident that echocanyons, you and myself can figure it out relatively quickly. I would suggest getting on pelicanparts.com and ordering a repair manual for $20. I have an extra you can borrow for the time being.

I think between echocanyon (Kelly) and myself, we have over 13 years of combined experience with these cars.

Let me know when you would like to meet up.

Merry Christmas

Luke Draper
lincoln
in the words of just bout everyone who calls the bob and tom show- you guys rock!

thanks to luke and kelly for the assistance- seems to be in the harness most likely cuz its been jury rigged quite a bit- will be getting that and a new relay board probly in Jan and then its probly due for a FI or at least duel carbs

is pretty cool that you all came right over and helped - on x mas eve no less

lincoln
echocanyons
Good to hear you engine run.

Not too much smoke for it sittin for who knows how long.

Probably your engine harness hack job is the cause of the nonstart.

merry christmas!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.