Full Version: competition brake pads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DanT
Ok,
Hawk Blue or ht10
Porterfield r4 or r4e
Pagid orange

what ya using?

M calipers on the front and 914-4s on the rear.

TT/AX and maybe a club race group:rolleyes: rolleyes.gif ohmy.gif driving.gif
nine14cats
Hi Dan,

Our 914-6 that you drove had 911T front brakes and 944S rears with Porterfield R4's. I really liked the Porterfields. I'll try them on Fritz as well.

Bill P.
Trekkor
I like the feel of the Porterfields on stock 914 calipers all around.

Surprising stopping power.

On track I find myself braking way earlier than I need to.
I haven't got that figured out yet.

What I'm saying is, these brakes are better than I think.

KT
joea9146
Porterfield R4's smile.gif
TimT
Ive used all three choices, well, Hawk blue, Porterfield R4, and Pagid Orange.

Ive wanted to try the R4E but havent got around to it yet.

In all Ive settled on using the Hawk blue pads.
r_towle
How streetable are these choices...

By that I mean cold (really cold) pads...

Do they still stop?

And then, where do you get them?

Rich
carr914
Pagid Orange. I can't wear the sonobitchs out.

T.C.
race914
Hi Dan!

I'm running the same caliper setup as you are and all of my heat and fading problems went away when I switched from porterfields to pagid orange.

Happy Holidays!

Greg

chilli
biggrin.gif Track pads are not good for street as the pads need to heat up to work --

mike driving.gif driving.gif
DanT
Rich,
Try www.paragon-products.com

or

www.Livermoreperformance .com

They have all of them and more

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
DanT
Thanks Greg,
how are things with you and Tricia down on the central coast?

Hope to see you guys at some events this year...if I ever get the car back from the painter.

Merry Christmas wreath.gif
KenH
QUOTE (race914 @ Dec 24 2005, 08:27 AM)

I'm running the same caliper setup as you are and all of my heat and fading problems went away when I switched from porterfields to pagid orange.

KT - Does this sound familiar???

Ken
grantsfo
Porterfield R4's for me too. They do talk back however.
DanT
the noise and the heat are not an issue since this car will be pretty much a dedicated track car.
I have used Pagids before on my 300hp 944 turbo track car

and PBRs and Pagids on my 914-6 2.7L RS track car

As well as Pagids on two different Carreras.

So I am familiar with their various characteristics.

Just wanted some feed back on what was being used successfully at this time.

Pagids are pretty tough to beat but you do pay dearly$$$ for their performance.

Mintex actually has a very similar pad as well.

I have been thinking of running Pagid Orange up front and a more intermediate pad on the rear, using a T instead of the stock prop valve. I want to keep the bias up front.

Greg are you running the Pagid orange front and rear?

Ken you are running Pagid orange up front and something else on the rear?

Thanks

KenH
Pagids up front, Ferodo in the back.

No prortioning valve.

Ken
campbellcj
Pagid Orange front, Pagid Black rear. This is with SC (A) brakes up front, 914-4 front calipers in the rear, and a tee.

I used the Porterfield R4 on my previous 914 w/ stock brakes.

Both pads are very effective. The Porterfields are noisier.
joea9146
BTW the R4's are only for Track use
VegasRacer
I am running the Pagid Yellows on all 4 corners.
racergreg
I use the Hawk blue. They have worked very well for me this season, with a lot of heavy braking at high-speed tracks (i.e. cal speedway). I'm getting good life out of them and they're not tearing up the rotors. smilie_pokal.gif
Brad Roberts

We have ran 3 events in the Boxster with multiple drivers on the Mintex C's. I like them. next up for the Boxster (today).. is Pagid Orange. I honestly dont care for the intial bite they have over the Porterfield. I want a car that is not abrupt on intial contact. I feel it upsets the car too much. I like the way the Porterfields come on (especially in a NON ABS car)

Some of the discussion so far (my post included) comes down to what YOU like. Not what other people like.

B
race914
QUOTE (Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Dec 24 2005, 09:50 AM)
the noise and the heat are not an issue since this car will be pretty much a dedicated track car.
I have used Pagids before on my 300hp 944 turbo track car

and PBRs and Pagids on my 914-6 2.7L RS track car

As well as Pagids on two different Carreras.

So I am familiar with their various characteristics.

Just wanted some feed back on what was being used successfully at this time.

Pagids are pretty tough to beat but you do pay dearly$$$ for their performance.

I have been thinking of running Pagid Orange up front and a more intermediate pad on the rear, using a T instead of the stock prop valve. I want to keep the bias up front.

Greg are you running the Pagid orange front and rear?

Ken you are running Pagid orange up front and something else on the rear?

Thanks

Dan,

I'm running Pagid Orange on front and back. Have also replaced the stock proportioning valve with a 'dial' type. In addition to being able to bias front/rear correctly, it eliminated the brake bleeding issues with the OE valve too!

Just ran the October SCCA Vintage at Laguna and didn't have any braking issues at all and I was pushing HARD for the entire 25 minute sessions. Since group 2 is up to 2.4 liters, I couldn't out accelerate alot of the competition, but I could out deccelerate them and did alot of passing going into 2,3, 4, 5, and 9 (belive it or not) I was concerned I might overwork the brakes but never did.

Another note, while having issues prior to changing over to the pagids I had committed to upgrading the entire braking system and collected set of C4S Big Blacks, the adapters, and a MBZ 23mm master cylinder. With the Pagids, the Ms & 914-4 rears are working so well, I'm not going to upgrade (saves unsprung weight too!). How's that for a Pagid endorsement!

Merry Christmas!

Central California Coast is great! Tricia and I will see you at more GGR events this year as well as Hank's DEs!

Greg

drew365
QUOTE (campbellcj @ Dec 24 2005, 11:24 AM)
Pagid Orange front, Pagid Black rear. This is with SC (A) brakes up front, 914-4 front calipers in the rear, and a tee.

I'm using the opposite. Pagid Black up front with A calipers, Pagid Orange in back with 911 M calipers.
J P Stein
I use the stock 9eleben Pagid. I've ran only 1 DE and they got to stinking, but never faded. Looking at the pads after removing the front calipers, I won't be needing any for some time, but JIC.....
I run AX and need brakes NOW.....no warm up time.
Do those pads mentioned here require warm up?
brant
Just to throw out another option that has not been mentioned yet:

the KFP race pads actually work better on sub 2500 lb cars in my opinion than the Pagids. The pagids work better on 3000lb cars. I suppose it has to do with operating heat.

I've never found pads I like better than the KFP pads.
(KFP is the same pad that used to be "cool carbon")

JP you would love the porterfield Street option for autox I'm guessing (S4)
no warm up required on the street option and still work pretty darn well for track use too...
brant
Trekkor
My Porterfields work great right off the trailer.

When I buzz around town, they squeal at the end of brake application as I come up to a stop light.

I just pretend like I don't hear it and look straight ahead smile.gif

As for hard stabs at the brakes, the car is stopping RIGHT NOW.

KT
Downunderman
EBC Green. They work from cold.

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/Automotive.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.