Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ot-where can i get the real
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
messix
just need a fix of that real sinus clearing HOT mustard. and have not been able to find anything close at the stores.
jd74914
hows about a chinese food place . . . the one we like just has containers of it on the counter wink.gif
Elliot_Cannon
Didn't Jenny have a source for mustard. Do a search maybe? This was dicussed in the past I'm pretty sure.
Elliot
bd1308
wasabi paste (lots of it) in soy sauce does the trick for me when i eat sushi :yum:

b
Cap'n Krusty
We keep a little can of dried, powdered wasabi in the cupboard. You just mix it in a little water. Wasabi isn't mustard, it's horseradish, but it does the trick! You should be able to buy it at any good Asian market, and high end supermarkets often carry it. I can even send you a can if you can't find it. The Cap'n
TravisNeff
you cant find the mustard at your local supermarket?? confused24.gif
Bleyseng
Wasbi is a great mustard , very hot. The Chinese hot mustards Monique uses aren't that hot but she uses a chilli paste that totally smokes me out so I can't eat it.

once you mix water with the wasbi paste its only good and hot for about an hour. confused24.gif don't know why but the sushi chefs I know mix it fresh for each serving.
Katmanken
I buy it at a chinese grocery store.

Comes in a can as a dry powder. Take out a spoonful and mix to desired consistancy with water......

Stuff has a nice kick.

Ken
messix
i've tried that beaver brand extra hot chinese mustard, it doen't cut it[pun intended]. wasabi is awsome,i'm addicted to the blue diamond wasabi and soy almonds. but i wnat and need the yellow hot hot mustard served at chinese restraunts.[wheres the jones'n smiley ]
sj914
Found this maybe it'll work for ya.

chinese mustard recipe
Dead Air
Got these from MSN yellow pages:

Arirang Oriental Market
7940 Martin Way East, Olympia, WA 98516
(360) 456-1858

Capitol Market
2419 Harrison Avenue Northwest, Olympia, WA 98502
(360) 956-7124

Mascot & Woo Ship Supply
7940 Martin Way East, Olympia, WA 98516
(360) 456-1858

Or order over the web at a local place we fondly call "House of Hot" - you can order through their store at Adventures in Heat

I know the mustard your talking about. It's the stuff that comes in the packets at the chinese take out places, Yeah!

But I vote for Wasabi, Nan's mom gave me some for Christmas an hour ago (bought at House of Hot) Nan thinks she saw the Chinese mustard in the store next to the wasabi - it's not on the webpage but maybe contact him and ask?

Also a great place for those that are seriously into BBQ.
jimtab
The trick for making the mustard HOT is to mix it with HOT water...no shit...the hotter the water the hotter the dry mustard becomes when mixed....not kidding...2 years of chinese cooking classes....I could wok your dog for you.... biggrin.gif
marks914
Here is how to make it:

2 tbl grey poupon
1tsp yellow mustard
1/4 tsp dry english mustard.

You can play with the amounts of the dry mustard.

Let it sit for a day or two, it will blow your ears off.

Mark

PS I was executive chef for a large reataruant in Lansing,Mi and owned my own restaurant before I became a Car Designer.

pfierb
QUOTE (marks914 @ Dec 25 2005, 08:55 AM)
Here is how to make it:

2 tbl grey poupon
1tsp yellow mustard
1/4 tsp dry english mustard.

You can play with the amounts of the dry mustard.

Let it sit for a day or two, it will blow your ears off.

Mark

PS I was executive chef for a large reataruant in Lansing,Mi and owned my own restaurant  before I became a Car Designer.

Will it help to clear your sinus problems and asthma ?
Katmanken
Chinese don't use Grey Poupon! blink.gif

Here is the stuff I use- S&B powder in a can.

Found it on Amazon

S&B Powder Chinese Mustard on Amazon

I have heard the more you stir the hotter it gets....

Ken
msglaigaie
I lived in southeast asia for my fomative years. I learned that Colemans English Mustard powder was used from Tasmania up the Pacific rim (you could follow the map, I won't name off the countries) to japan. A little powder in a small bowl or cup, add a small amount of water, stir. Inhale. Dab tears from eyes. Adjust as taste needs. MSG L
Rand
Chinese mustard rocks. I love toying with that fine line between just right and too much... you know, that point where the fumes run up through your sinuses and ZING!!!, makes your eyes water.... Oh yeah.

http://www.peppers.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=3111

maf914
Chinese mustard?

Just take dry ground mustard powder (bottles or tins at the spice rack in your grocery store) and add some water or white vinegar to the desired consistancy, and there you go. It will clear the sinuses. Not like those wimpy little watered down sweet mustard packets that they throw into Chinese take out for wussy customers. laugh.gif

Make it with Grey Poupon? What? Please! laugh.gif
Tobra
I have a tin of that dry S&B mustard that I got when I lived near Houston, alomost empty now. I have even put a little rice vinegar and hot water in it once, not bad. I don't know if the hot water made it hotter, but it did dissolve easier. Had same problem as you, little redneck town with plenty of Mexicans, but zero Asians, rolled down to Houston's Chinatown and went shopping.
maf914
QUOTE (msglaigaie @ Dec 26 2005, 06:08 PM)
I lived in southeast asia for my fomative years. I learned that Colemans English Mustard powder was used from Tasmania up the Pacific rim (you could follow the map, I won't name off the countries) to japan.

Coleman's is a British brand and they make all sorts of products of various ethnic origin, largely from countries which were once part of the British Empire. I like Indian food, which uses a lot of mint, and used to buy Coleman Mint Sauce in a bottle. It was just diced mint leaves bottled with a few preservatives and it could be found in most Indian or Asian grocery stores. Last year when I needed to restock I couldn't find it in my usual sources. I asked one Indian grocer and he told me that due to new homeland security regulations Coleman had reduced the number of products they export to the US, and that the mint sauce was no longer available. Security? Huh? confused24.gif
mightyohm
Colman's english mustard is a suitable substitute for the packets they give you at take out restaurants. It tastes just like it. You can find Colman's in small glass jars at many supermarkets. It will really clear out your sinuses.
messix
thanks guys, i'm gonna try to make some up from dry mustard. i'm having a hard time believing thats all there is to it. i'll also pick up some wasabi to add if'n it's not hot 'nough for me.
i work with some tongan and japanese guys, so i'll try them next when i go back to work next week.
i can't believe i didn't pick up on this when i lived in hawaii 20ish years ago.
Trekkor
Grey Poupon

A good choice, really.
Any good dijon mustard is quite spicy on it's own. If you want to knock socks off or scare children, add prepared white horsradish to taste.

Play around with rice wine vinegar in your mix.

KT
mikey
Anybody see "Jackass, The Movie" where one of the guys snorted wasabi in a Japanese restaurant? He choked and then barfed. GOD, those guys were brilliant! av-943.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (mikey @ Dec 27 2005, 11:58 AM)
Anybody see "Jackass, The Movie" where one of the guys snorted wasabi in a Japanese restaurant? He choked and then barfed. GOD, those guys were brilliant! av-943.gif

Not as funny, IMO, as the DEA guy snorting laundry detergent. Cheech and Chong movie, I think ................. The Cap'n
Mr.C
Or how about when Cheech met Chong and Chong gave Cheech a dog shit joint. laugh.gif ok now back to the mustard.
messix
ok i think i did it!!!!! boldblue.gif boldblue.gif clap.gif clap.gif mueba.gif
sun luc dry\ mustard and a touch of wasabi. just made it and it supposed to take up to half an hour to fully get flavour.
TimT
Or how about when Cheech met Chong and Chong gave Cheech a dog shit joint. laugh.gif ok now back to the mustard.

It was Labrador... he had to follow the dog around for a week to get his stash back
marks914
If you look at the ingrediants of mustard they are: vinegar, water, mustard seed

Thats it!
Mark
mightyohm
Try the Colman's! I'm postitive it is what you are looking for!

messix
i'm on my second batch. man that shit is good! the wasabi is the nice kicker. it takes a little more than a half hour to get the full effect.
maf914
Like we said, no chinese is gonna say "Please pass the grey poupon"!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.