Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do I need the Petty Bar?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
The Beast has a Petty Bar in it. I hate it. I want to cut it off. The rest of the cage is tied together and the cage itself is tied to the suspension points. The organizations I run with do not require the Petty Bar.

Can I just cut it off and grind it smooth?

Bill P.

machina
its hard to brace these cars to the rear so the petty bar helps to stiffen things up.

i have a petty bar in mine and it is a PIA but I wouldn't think of removing it.
nine14cats
Here's the bracing to the back....it looks strong enough to lose the bar...

I tell ya...decisions....

Bill P. laugh.gif
machina
this is your "serious" car right?

If you don't need to fit your girlfriend in there or a baby seat, leave it alone.
Brad Roberts
It stiffens the car a TON. Drive it first with it.. then yank it. I can feel the petty bar "load up" in corners. Put your hand on it in turn 2 at Thill.

There was NO bar installed in that car that it didnt need. That petty bar alone will keep the chassi from twisting up and "un coiling"

B
r_towle
Im curious what organisation lets you run those rear bars through what was the rear window???

I looked at SCCA and PCA and that is not allowed..

POC maybe, but we dont have that here..

Rich
machina
QUOTE (r_towle @ Dec 24 2005, 01:57 PM)
I looked at SCCA and PCA and that is not allowed..

POC maybe, but we dont have that here..

Rich

nope, its legal in scca production for 914's
Brad Roberts
FYI: That bar has nothing to do with safety. It is there purely for stiffening. The first time you get a seat behind it and strap in... you wont notice it. Read the specs on racing seat belts. They dont stretch enough in a impact to allow you to hit that bar (I normally only drive 7/10ths with a passenger anyway)

B
campbellcj
I have one too and was thinking about making it removable, if feasible. I think TonyC has some quick-release tube connectors that looked pretty trick. However I'm not sure if that would maintain most of the rigidity added by this tube.
VegasRacer
I've never owned a car with a Petty Bar. I don't like the way they look. It is not that bad riding on the passenger side. I doubt I would remove it. It's your car. sawzall-smiley.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.