Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: O.T. Homelite Generator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
John Kelly
Well I just bought a used Homelite 5600 watt generator with 8 hours run time on it. It starts right up, but the GFCI trips every time without a hint of light from my test light. The volt meter shows voltage. I replaced the GFCI with a known good one, same problem.

Anyone have any idea what to check next?

I need this thing. We are going to be full up over new years at our little motel and, and can't have a power outage ruining our guest's stay.

Thanks, John www.ghiaspecialties.com
TravisNeff
Have you tried the unit on a non GFCI circuit to eliminate the generator being at fault?

I am not much of an electrician, but wouldn't the gfci circuit see that incoming power/spike and trip by design?
GWN7
It could be that the stater is fryed.....I bought a Coleman 5000 Powermate from Costco, took it up to the farm to use and it started doing the same thing. Took it in to the local authorised repair shop and they said $800..... covered under warrentee
John Kelly
Arrghh! OK, thanks guys!

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
smooth_eddy
GFI's trip because there is an problem with the load. Try plugging something else in (like a desk light or radio) and see if it holds. GFI's do go bad and some are bad from the factory, but it sounds like it is just doing it's job and the load you are plugging in is bad. Eddy
smooth_eddy
John....

I just noticed where you live. I am sure you are feeling like a drowned rat in Moclips. One thing to note, GFI's will nuciance (sp?) trip in rainy weather. Eddy
John Kelly
Well, after trying another GFCI and failing, I replaced it with a standard outlet, and the thing works! I got the generator and an interface module to hook it into my regular service box for $600 which I think is pretty good deal, especially since it actually works.

Eddy, We have had some rain, but the weather for December has been nice most of the month. I've been pleasantly surprised at how often the weather changes. It can be cloudy, and then nice an hour later. I absolutely love this place...

Thanks all!

Dr. Roger
hey john,

great to hear things are going well up there.

when you mentioned that y'all were moving out to the coast i thought, "wow, that's got to be great". specially having hy. 1 right there. =-)

cheers,
roger
John Kelly
Hi Roger,

101 is a ways inland from us, but 109 is two blocks away...talk about twisties!

smooth_eddy
Well, after trying another GFCI and failing, I replaced it with a standard outlet, and the thing works

John.....the down side is now you have eliminated the life safety features of a GFI outlet sad.gif . Eddy
GWN7
I think he's running it into his main service box. Not much need for a GFI there as your "wet" areas will/should have them.

Glad to hear it's working. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.