Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Next up: mo' poar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brando
I've sold most of my 2.0L engine goodies. Now I want to bump up my 1.8 to a 1911 before I start down the turbo subaru path. The pistons and cylinders I sold were for a 2.0 (wrist pin height) but what I need are a set of 96s or 98s (last one might not be possible) with the wrist-pin height proper for a 1.8. I was thinking FAT performance or RAT. I guess it comes down to price. Dayum, some 98s would be nice. Does anyone still have those? I was planning on just putting them in and buttoning it back up, then running with it until the bottom end collapses. It's only got 61k miles on it so I think I have some time before things explode.
thesey914
You could've used your 94mm 2.0 cylinders bored them out to 96mm and bought some KB 96mm pistons from aircooled.net. Be good to do a cam swap too.
anthony
I'm not sure it's worth doing this. With no other changes to the engine how many hp would you net by going from 93 to 96mm cylinders and pistons? I'm guessing that it's less than 10 hp total.

If you really want to wake this engine up, put your 2L heads on it with the 96mm pistons and cylinders.
Brando
I could do that, but the 2.0 heads I have got a lot of work done to them... They wouldn't be right for L-Jet. Valves are too big, ports are too big... It wouldn't run right. Whereas doing a P&C swap I can still run the L-Jet and maybe make minor adjustments to get proper air to fuel mixture. It'd just be a nice quick and cheap 10hp. Who knows, maybe I could run my 2.0 heads and just drill some holes in my 1.8 intake runners. I got some pretty sheet-metal to put on too... idea.gif WHILE I'M IN THERE...

Crap, it started.
Pugbug
I'm running 96mm cylinders on my 1.8, and it is a fairly strong quick reving engine....But, I also changed the cam to a Web 86, upped the compression to 8.6 to 1, ported the heads, and am feeding it with a pair of 45mm Dellortos which I already had.
I don't think just changing the cylinders will get you much gain, and you can't just change the cam and still use the stock injection. You will actually lose power, and head temps will rise. It becomes a bit pricey if you want more hp.
If the engine is temporary and you use the stock injection, you'll gain a bit if you go to 96mm and up the compression. I wouldn't worry about the bottom end, as it is very strong on these engines.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.