Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: mps swap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TheCabinetmaker
My 2.0 started running rough a week or so ago, and I started checking everything by process of elimination.
Valves ok
timing ok
dwell ok
fuel pressure ok
Tps ok
c.o. ok
Purchased new vacuum pump today. Guess what?
Zippo. Nada. Nothing. would not even pump up. Grabbed a mps from a 1.7. held at 20 for six minutes.
Car runs much better, but not perfect. are they different? can it be readjusted to work on the 2 litre?
2teeners
It will need adjusting, or it will run too lean.

my 2.0 had a 1.7 mps for years, and I didn't know it, but it always ran hotter than i was comfortable with. eventually i burned some valves on a hot Texas summer day and had to rebuild the engine.

when i finally realized the problem and adjusted the MPS with the engine running, it took a substantial adjustment to find the fastest running speed. The engine revs went from 2200 to 3500 (no load) at the same throttle position.

But everything i've read indicates it's adjustment that makes the unit engine specific.

ohmy.gif
anthony
I have a 049 1.7L MPS running in place of the original '74 2L 043 MPS. It works fine. Brad Anders told me that it's almost exactly the same and shouldn't pose any problems for the engine.

Check his compatibility chart:

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/DJetP...m#Compatibility
Bleyseng
It is exactly the same only at idle. The part load is different with the 1.7l one leaner and at WOT the 1.7L MPS is WAY leaner.
You are playing with fire as the engine will run hotter and could drop a valve seat.(as Dave Darling).

I have the same basic test equipment as Brad A. and have tested lots of factory sealed units and rebuilts.
Get the right one as the factory had a reason why they are different numbers for different engines

Geoff
TheCabinetmaker
Thanks Geoff, I think that's the answer I was looking for.

Curt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.