Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What to do with the mandrel bender--when slow
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Maltese Falcon
A friend of mine owns a snow/ skate board shop in L.A. (Westwood Bl.) and needed some ID on his building. After checking out all of the usual sign shops- he approached me with "What if you could bend me up a Hot Rod sign in 3" and chrome it ?"
I designed the calligraphy, fabbed it up and had a crane co. lift it into place.
At one time he had the entire building painted in flames- I guess the neighbors made him paint it back to white ;(
He actually polishes up the chrome once a year biggrin.gif
Marty
smooth_eddy
Nicely done.......What kind of bender did you use? Greenlee? And did you do the welding? Is the pipe EMT? Eddy
thesey914
nice....think i would cross the road to go in.
MecGen
That has to be the nicest sign I have seen in a long time.
Definately Old Skool smilie_pokal.gif
agree.gif
And I would cross the street and have a look inside.

+Karma
Later
Bleyseng
Thats way cool.... aktion035.gif
Maltese Falcon
thx for the props guys...the machine that I used for this job is a Teledyne Pines No.2 rotary mandrel bender. The mtl. is 3" od ,16 ga. cold roll tube, with a .005 inside flash control. Once the basic "Calligraphy" is bent , it's basically mitre cut, deburr'd and fit together on a straight edge jig.
Welding is on a Miller .035 MIG --just like making headers wink.gif
Industrial size nickle chrome tanks "Just made it in" for this size sign !
I'll dig up a jpeg of another strange job order: A custom steel bed for one of the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
Happy New Year !
Marty
Maltese Falcon
Hey Frank K, check out the Chili Bed at www.madmetal.com
scroll thru the products and check it out. My nephew Shane (9146OG) does the specialty/ custom products out of our plant here in Glendale Ca.
Peace
Marty
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.